Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > What don't you like? / SNL

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Sweeter is watching American Grafitti right now. This movie just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it is Richard Dreyfuss, maybe it is that dorky dude driving around in someone else's car. Maybe it is the drag racing. Maybe it is The Wolf Man simultaneously at the radio and at the drive in.
Maybe the music is just too far before my generation.

Anyway, I'd rather do just about anything other than watch this movie.

I started thinking about what other movies everyone else lauds as fantastic that just don't light my fire.
Blade Runner also fits the bill.
Do I have a problem with Harrison Ford? maybe.

What movies can't you stand/stomach that have some kind of fantastic reputation you don't get?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Titanic. I am probably being a bit unfair because I haven't watched it. Just watching the shorts is enough (I think I know what happens). If you don't want Harrison Ford toss him my way!

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Really? You don't like Titanic?
What about it turns you off? I thought it was so neat how they were able to make sets that looked like the ship, the sea, the drowning masses.

And I lurv Kate Winslet, so I was able to kind of just focus my eyes on her and ignore Leo.

That's a good one, Gail. EVERYONE likes Titanic.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the boys in my house called it Boretanic. we couldn't wait til the dude fell and hit the propeller

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Another thing I like about Titanic, which is purely personal, is that it came out when I was in Spain, so the catch phrase of the film is instead dubbed in my memory: "estoy volando, Jack! Estoy volando!"

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb Avatar ... I just don't get into blue men flying dragons.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

I luv Kate Winslet as well (I loved her in Sense & Sensability).
Re MSG 3. As I haven't watched Titanic I can't really say (I'm probably the only person on the planet). I just have a 'Meh' sort of reaction to the shorts and Leo leaves me a bit cold.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments anchorman. meh. just not as pee-your-pants hilarious as everyone let on. plus i am not crazy about will farrell

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb I love Kate as well, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything that I didn't like ... or love her performance. If anyone here hasn't seen "Finding Neverland" yet, you should go watch it ... sooooo good.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, I knew there would be some Avatar hate spewn on this thread.

And I too don't really think Leonardo diBlahtired of typing his name is all that great either. Talented, maybe, picks lame movies, absolutely. And I don't think he can pull of an accent like he or Scorsese thinks he can.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2010 05:02PM) (new)

Barbara wrote: "Avatar ... I just don't get into blue men flying dragons."

I really liked Avatar. It is about time some aliens finally got to kick some human butt.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh, man, is that how it ends?

SPOILER! SPOILER! GAIL SPOILED THE MOVIE.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ha!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry sorry sorry. I thought everyone had seen it.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have not seen it. But I wasn't exactly in suspense about the ending.

But that's just me.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Larry wrote: "I have not seen it. But I wasn't exactly in suspense about the ending.

But that's just me."

Yeah, I'm with Jones on this one. I didn't expect the evil humans to prevail. No spoiler guilt necessary.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

I didn't even know enough about it to know that they would. I thought it would turn out the way the story it is based on did: the native people would be slaughtered and their land turned to a commercial/industrial wasteland.

PS:
Sweeter is now watching the making of American Grafitti. Now I have to listen to the sound of Dreyfuss and Ron Howard discussing endlessly the movie's every nuanced detail. BLECH.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love love love special features now on DVD's. i watch all of the making of crap. there is hours and hours on the LOTR discs.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

OMG. Another reason I'm considering never watching a movie with you Kevin. Not only do you talk the whole way through, but you watch the @^@%!$ special features. The worst are the deleted scenes.

News flash:

They're deleted for a reason.

message 20: by Barb (new)

Barb Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "anchorman. meh. just not as pee-your-pants hilarious as everyone let on. plus i am not crazy about will farrell"

I find Wil Farell to be very hit-or-miss ... sometimes he's hilarous, and sometimes he's downright stupid.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't like actor/director commentary tracks. They're inevitably boring. Like they're not sure what to say and they're nervous and crack stupid jokes. Or say things like "Oh, here's the scene in the restaurant. We filmed this in a restaurant." Um...yeah...I can see that...

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments no prob sals. can you fix me and sweeter a sandwich so we can watch the "behind the scenes" featurette?

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

That movie made me laugh until I snorted, but I was also eating pot cookies that weekend.

Then we went to the theater to see Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and I fell asleep.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate the commentary tracks, because instead of saying what they want to say about the movie in a reasonable length of time, perhaps illustrated with clips, they stretch it out the whole length of a movie I've likely JUST WATCHED.

They don't have enough content to justify that, and the slow pace and the inanity of what they say when they don't really have anything to say puts me to sleep. Literally. I've dozed off to almost every commentary track I've listened to.

The exception was Gosford Park, which had SO much going on that the commentary was essential to unlocking all the different storylines. So, kudos to Robert Altman and his screenwriter.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Robert Altman is tres kudos worthy, this is true.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the cast commentary to Willie Wonka was fun

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Doctor Who. Commentary, fantastic.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Gail wrote: "Doctor Who. Commentary, fantastic."

Dang I missed it.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't believe you watch Doctor Who.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't. too intellectual for me. i have seen lil suzi who though

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

I watched a fuzzy headed Doctor Who in the 80s with my dad on PBS. I can't abide any other version.

oooooweoooooo! dooo de doooo -- oooooeeeoooooo!

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah I watched the old one, too.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

My kids are addicted to it. I'll use any excuse to watch it myself. :) David Tennant makes a great Doctor.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Okay I gotta check it out. Is it available online?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've tried to get into Dr. Who, but always felt like I was trying to catch up to a storyline in progress.
Probably just as well, with my Star Trek obsession. One enthusiasm for a SF show with lame special effects is enough.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now he's watching the trailer for American Graffiti.

*bangs head against wall*

message 37: by Mary (last edited Mar 14, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Here's my Don't-Do-Drugs story about the extra features CD included with some movies: My GF came over to my house for "Let's Get High And Watch A Movie" night and we put the special features disc into the DVD player accidentally, and spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to skip all that director-talk and get the actual movie to play, then we gave up and made brownies.

Yeah, weed makes me stupid. One reason why I don't smoke it no more.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

ahhhahaa.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I never thought "American Graffiti" was all that, either, Sally. I think it works for people who lived during that era, but not for the rest of us.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah not young people like us.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments isn't it odd how so many people from that era are still so into that stuff? '57 chevy, jukebox, elvis and such. they are the same ones who hyperventilate when a motown song comes on. i grew up in the 70's and am really over it all

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now we're watching The Natural. This is another movie that I just do not get. Baseball, meh. Robert Redford, meh. Glenn Close, triple meh.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I was going to suggest Tom Baker, but I thought I was wasting my energy on a bunch of heathens.

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I am madly in love with David Tennant. *sigh* Skinny, white guy that wears glasses is totally my MO. I'm a bit worried about Matt Smith. He seems a little jazz handy.

message 45: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) Yes!! He's fantastic!!

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:59AM) (new)

Thanks girls you have made my day.
David Tennant, was always going to be hard to replace. They have gone a bit gothic with Matt Smith. It will be interesting to see how he goes. I'm not going to write him off just yet.

message 47: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "anchorman. meh. just not as pee-your-pants hilarious as everyone let on. plus i am not crazy about will farrell"

Same. I like Will Farrell but I just don't get "Anchorman." My husband is always quoting lines to me and then getting annoyed when I don't laugh. If it wasn't funny the first 50 times it's not going to suddenly get funny. I feel the same way about "Dumb and Dumber".

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sometimes I call my wife into the room to watch something on television I found funny (e.g. the pictionary scene in Community) and she doesn't laugh, and I end up saying things like "c'mon! Don't you think that's funny?"

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sweeter tells me entire scenes from the Office, just short of acting them out, and then looks confused when I don't laugh.

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's really funny, Sally.

« previous 1