♥♥♥Cinderpelt Lovers♥♥♥((Organization in Progress)) discussion

Member News > March Newsletter for Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SpottiPup407, Loves Graystripe (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:17PM) (new)

SpottiPup407 AKA, Dapplekit | 777 comments Mod
March Newsletter!
posted by Elizabeth on March, 11 5

March Newsletter

The newsletter continues to evolve each month as we strive to provide a balance of book suggestions for your tastes—no easy feat for the voracious community at Goodreads.

The interviews with Frances Mayes and Chang-rae Lee were a lot of fun to put together. Although both authors have a connection to academia, they couldn’t be more disparate. Mayes writes about Italy with the passion of a convert and takes pleasure in the little things, while Lee covers a different area of the world and is interested in the roles of race and identity.

Every month, one feature makes me particularly excited. Sometimes it’s a Lit at Lat or an author interview, but this month it’s “In Bed” with John Banville. After all, he is a legend. In celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, the Irish author suggests five books by his fellow countrymen. One observation, why are all the authors male? Can anyone recommend some favorite female Irish writers?

We also chatted with Colorado librarian Kirk Farber, who has written a saucy little book called Postcards from a Dead Girl. The word around the office is that the book is awfully good.

Movers & Shakers, as always, brings up an interesting array of titles. The YA book The Body Finder, by Kimberly Derting, sounds a bit gruesome but it has huge buzz on the site; The Ask by Sam Lipsyte seems to have universal heat, online and off; and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Goodreads Author Helen Simonson, sounds like just the sort of feel-good book to pull anyone out of the blues (or the “mean reds”).

Last but not least, don’t forget to savor Venus at the Shell Station by Matt Jasper. He's the winner of our monthly poetry contest with the ¡POETRY! group. Click here to read the poem!

We hope you enjoy the newsletter.

P.S. Check out the new iPhone app!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I am SO sure they took my idea, and my friends for that newsletter!

message 3: by SpottiPup407, Loves Graystripe (new)

SpottiPup407 AKA, Dapplekit | 777 comments Mod
What do you mean?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

cool

♥♥♥Cinderpelt Lovers♥♥♥((Organization in...

unread topics | mark unread