Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Is It Possible To Have Readers Block?!?!?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Lol... I just posted this question somewhere on here, and then it got me thinking.. Is it? I cant find a damn book I can't put down. Its rather annoying. Every book I pick up, I have been either drudging thru, or quittin at the get go. I need a great epic read. I miss Jamie and Claire, and Tatiana and Alexander. Is it too much to ask for more characters like these? Okay, I think I'm done putting my whiny opinions out to the universe. :)

message 2: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) yes! I get that sometimes, can't figure out what sounds good and everything I pick up sounds good but not great or attention grabbing. When I get 'readers block" (I like the term) I go back to my roots, medieval fiction, thats my favorite. Whether it's a Chadwick, Penman or any other of those types of authors recommended by friend here and other forums I find my reading 'chi' and everything goes back to normal.

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I do that all the time. I call it a book slump. I have been in a small one myself lately.

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Nona, thx for the advice. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Back to basics.

Alycia, What do you do when this happens?

message 5: by Alycia (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:59PM) (new)

Alycia Well, I used to go back and reread Austen, can't go wrong there. Haven't done that in a while. I have found switching genres helps. That is why I skip around. I also tend to read less because often on the onset I have burned myself out with the crazy numbers of books or 1 particular genre.

Have you tried rereading books, like Outlander? I love to reread really good books that I fell in love with.

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Alycia That's why I keep whining around that i need to reread TBH

message 7: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol... I did recently re-read Oulander. I am going to slowly re-read the entire series, before I do echo... during my torturous wait for book 8!!

message 8: by Alycia (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:18PM) (new)

Alycia HAHA! Well I don't know what to tell you then.

I am trying to get through the series the first time around. I would love to reread them but don't know if that is possible with the long lengths that and the fact that there are so many other books out there that I am dying to try... I applaud you for rereading them! That is quite a feat.

message 9: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick I have ADD (instead of Reader's Block) recently when it comes to books - like I would start a book, then just a couple chapters in I would start another book, and then start another.

This is SO not like me. I usually start a book and stick with it until I am finished. Maybe is it because I am getting old? eeeks! Can I even say that?

Recently read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and it was like pulling teeth (needed to finish it for my local bookclub) it was a painful read. I started like 3 books between and then finally finished it last week.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I hate readers' block. I usually get it after I read a really good book. It's hard to get into another book after coming down from that high.

message 11: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) so true Danielle. I'm currently in that slump not sure what to read since the last was a disaster, Dark Prince was a dud for me. It took me almost two weeks to get half way through, I now know I'm not a telepathic dialogue lover.

to cure it I got several different books to choose from at the library, The Host by S Meyer, The Prize by J. Garwood and Burnished Blade by L Schoonover. hopefully one of these will revive me!

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I hate readers' block. I usually get it after I read a really good book. It's hard to get into another book after coming down from that high."

I think, that is exactly what happened with me.

message 13: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) Shell wrote: "Lol... I just posted this question somewhere on here, and then it got me thinking.. Is it? I cant find a damn book I can't put down. Its rather annoying. Every book I pick up, I have been either dr..."

Good epics are hard to find. it's probably best just to reread ur favorites.

have u tried the Lymond Chronicles? I find them similar to Outlander if u take into account the time period and that its more hero focused than a romance

message 14: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

seton wrote: "Shell wrote: "Lol... I just posted this question somewhere on here, and then it got me thinking.. Is it? I cant find a damn book I can't put down. Its rather annoying. Every book I pick up, I have ..."

I haven't yet, but have looked into them at the used bookstores in my area. I tried to order them new, but they are out of print. It does look like something I would like though, for sure.

message 15: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 50 comments Usually when I get in a reading slump where I just can't get into anything-I take a break for a bit and catch up on movies. Maybe try a new to me TV show from Netflix. That'll usually put me in the mood for a specific type of book or genre.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) When I have readers block, I read a handful of mindless Harlequins and then everything looks good after that!

message 17: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I've had readers block lately and picked up a book suggested to me from a horror fan, Clive Barkers Books of Blood Vol. 1-6. Since it's been years since I've read anything sci/fi or horror or really anything close to that I picked it up and have finished Vol 1 and loving it. It's short stories of the darked stories I've ever read or heard of, most definately fixed my block!