Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Gardening events, lectures, etc

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Thought it might be fun to share info on gardening related events we attend. Today I attended a luncheon/garden lecture put on by our local gardening club. The speaker was from the University of Minnesota Extension Service although she was actually born and raised in Puerto Rico! She seems to be a happy transplant.

The topic was "Green Gardening". We used the book by Joe Lamp'l entitled "The Green Gardener's Guide" We basically discussed a check list of what Lamp'l considers to be important in our quest to be better stewards of the earth. There were 38 points on the list and we scored ourselves on how we are doing. I scored 20 out of 38, although there were 6-7 points that didn't apply to my personal gardening situation.

Nevertheless, it was very interesting and I learned a few things I intend to apply to my own gardens. I will be getting a rain barrel, start using more soaker hoses, consider corn gluten for weed control and enlarge existing and create new flower beds to reduce the amount of grass in my yard which in turn means less lawn mowing and gasoline use.

Another concept I like was planting rain gardens. I'm not sure how well this will work for me as my soil is sand which drains very quickly, but I do have a couple of low spots where it might be worth a try if I amend with lots of peat moss and compost.

According to our speaker water will be the hot topic of the next decades and anything we can do to conserve it is all too the good. Since our last 3 years have been so dry I'm certainly willing to try new things to help with conservation.

It was just so fun to gather with about 40 other gardeners with fresh flowers and colorful watering cans on the tables and talk about gardening. The only puzzlement of the day was I won a door prize of 5 free visits to Gold's Gym. I'm wondering if that's a hint I look too out of shape to garden?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds like a great event you attended Cheryl! Thanks for sharing, all very interesting!

message 3: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I just love learning about gardening. It was fun to listen to solutions found by other gardeners for common gardening difficulties. We had some good laughs.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I love learning about gardening too!