LDS discussion

Missions

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Does anyone have a family member or someone they know on a mission? My brother just received his call to Mexico City East and we are so excited!

message 2: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments My brother is returning from his mission to Canada in April!!!!!

message 3: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments That is way cool, what was his mission exactly? I have another older brother who went to Cape Town, South Africa. He loved it and he really wants to go back there. I don't think I've ever heard of a missionary who hasn't wanted to go back to their mission.

message 4: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments He's on the Canada Winnipeg mission.

message 5: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments That is way cool, my mom has always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island. Anne of Green Gables:)

message 6: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments Yeah, I've always kind of wanted to go there too. But I've always kind of wanted to go just about everywhere! :)

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments There are a few places I would really like to go to, too. Ireland is definitely one of them:)

message 8: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments Yes, Ireland would be amazing!

message 9: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I would love to go to Denmark. Most of my ancestors came from there.

message 10: by Lissy (new)

Lissy My dad went to Arizona, my eldest brother went to the Philippines, my second eldest brother went to Jamaica, my eldest sister went to North Carolina, and my brother is in California. In fact 3 other members of my family went to the California, Riverside mission!!! Isn't that strange?!!

message 11: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments My dad went to Louisiana, my oldest brother went to Oregon, my next brother went to North Carolina, my next brother went to Guam, and my last brother is in Canada, coming home in April!!!!

message 12: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments It's really cool to hear all of the stories, my father went to Switzerland on his mission and he can still speak German. It's really fun to hear his and my brothers stories.

message 13: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments I just moved into a new ward/back to a ward I lived in 5 years ago. My old babysitter just got back from his mission and it was soooooo cool seeing him gain his spiritual eyes and find the best part of the gospel. As he shared his testimony this last Sunday, I couldn't help but cry. He is such an amazing person!!!

message 14: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments That is so cool! I know a lot of people love their missions so much, it makes me want to go on one when I'm old enough. I am seriously considering it.

message 15: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I'm thinking about it. But I really want to be a lawyer. I'm thinking that maybe I should make time for one, though.

message 16: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments Ya, I have been considering it all my life but that just set it down for me. I'm going on a mission. I'm graduating college early from all the high school college credits I hope to get and then i will go on a mission at 21, get back at 22, get a decent job, and wait for my Prince Charming to come around. That's kinda where I'm at.

message 17: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I see . . . But, like I said, I want to be a lawyer, and that takes eight years of school.

message 18: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments I would love to go on a mission, I see your problem though, Abbz, it isn't required for you to go on a mission. The fact that you desire to go on one is good enough. I don't have a set future, I love what your plan though, Sierra. I don't want to have college completely done when I get back, but I would like to have most of it overwith, if I do go on a mission. I'm waiting for that time to come to decide whether a mission is right for me or not.

message 19: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I think I need to wait until it gets a little closer before I can really consider it.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 13 comments My brother is on his mission in Ecuador, Quito. He just left in February and he's still in the MTC in Provo. I think he's going to Ecuador in a few weeks. And Abbz, about your problem, I was just thinking about that, and I say, if you don't want to go on a mission when you're 21 or so, just go when you're like 60 with your husband! I think that's a great idea. That's what I'm going to do. You can always go later.

message 21: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments I agree with Abbz, it's better to wait until the time gets closer to decide what is right for you. Prayer is the only way to get the correct answer.

message 22: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I think you both have good points. Thanks for helping! :)

message 23: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Anytime, Abbz!

message 24: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments :D

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments ♥Abbz♥ wrote: "I'm thinking about it. But I really want to be a lawyer. I'm thinking that maybe I should make time for one, though."

Oh my! I want to be a lawyer too! I understand what you are saying. What my plan is just to do what I am supposed or what the lord wants me to do, like I would love to go on a mission I would also really like to get my schooling done "earlier" too. There are just so many possibilities. I think one of the prophets said though that all boys should go on a mission and girls are just supposed to do what is right at the time for them.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

My cousin went to Provo Utah and just came back. And his brother went to?? I don't remember!!

message 27: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments That's awesome, Emma!!! Provo would be a fun mission!

You want to be a lawyer too, Heather??? That is so sweet! All my friends think I'm kind of nuts for wanting to be one.

message 28: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Provo is a wonderful place, although it isn't quite as "clean" as you would expect it to be being in Utah and all. I love it there, though. I agree Heather, as we have said:) It is definitely about what the Lord wants us to do, we can only accept his will and press forward.

message 29: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments All true.

message 30: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments I agree with you Hope. I guess that's just life. Not all of the world, even in Utah lives up to the Lord's standards.

message 31: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments It's sad, really, that so many people can do so many bad things. I really believe that they just can't see their true potential and they're at war with themselves.

message 32: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments I think that is the #1 feeling in the world today. Therefore, I agree with you completely. Why else would anyone commit suicide or any of the horrible crimes that take place now-a-days.

message 33: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Definitely. We are all struggling and it's hard to get past things. The gospel is so helpful in that way! The scriptures help me get through a lot of hard things and the people who don't have that are lost. I feel bad and I want to reach out. I'm trying! I encourage everyone to give Books of Mormon to non-member friends!

message 34: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments The thing with giving away Books of Mormon where I live is that most everyone is either LDS or completely set against the church. Mostly, though, the community's LDS.

message 35: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Same here. I have a few friends that aren't though. They aren't opposed to the church, in fact, they've showed interest. I'm trying to help them. Just be friendly and people that aren't members will become your friends and you can help them.

message 36: by Sierra (last edited Jun 11, 2010 02:06PM) (new)

Sierra | 156 comments That is a great opportunity for missionary work for you, Hope! I mean, I would have the Personal Progress experience Good Works #7 done before now! :)

Most people that i know are either LDS, but not as strong in the church as I hope I think I am, or ....not into it at all. But, they are good enough. One of my friends made a really cute looking Book of Mormon by decorating the outside of a simple copy and gave it to another one of my friends and encouraged her to read it. I don't think she has really done anything with it but at least missionary work was attempted! That's the best thing we can do now.

message 37: by Hope (new)

Hope | 89 comments Awesome, Sierra! Yeah, we're working on it:) Good luck!

message 38: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments :) Thanx!