Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > wrong ISBN?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (last edited Mar 10, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I need help here:
This listing was added by a new member and she added a few listings that we didn't need/were wrong so they all got fixed. This one:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...
has an ISBN 10 that brings me to a Rich Wemhoff titled Marriage: The Best Resources to Help Your Thrive‎.
I asked the member which book she meant to list and she says Men Are From Mars.
Should I change the ISBN to suit Men Are From Mars or change the title and author to suit the Wenhoff book?

The ISBN 10 that I found was on GoogleBooks - http://books.google.com/books?id=wTfY...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Neither. That's an Amazon import, not something a member created. And WorldCat agrees. No idea where Google Books is getting the wrong data from.

message 3: by Dori (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:48PM) (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments OK, I laughed at this. GoogleBooks is returning a catalog of of marriage resources that lists the Men are from Mars ISBN in it. It comes back from GoogleBooks because it is finding the ISBN in the text of the book, not because the ISBN is assigned to it.

Edit: if you use the GoogleBooks advanced search to search by ISBN, nothing is returned.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ah!

Ok, that is funny.

message 5: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Wow - okay - I had done a few others of hers that she manually added and I just assumed I suppose. Hmmm... when you search for general info do you use WorldCat or another site first? I seem to like GoogleBooks more myself but if the information is better elsewhere.....
Thanks for clearing this up!

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I always open three tabs first: Amazon, GoogleBooks, and WorldCat. Amazon mostly to see what the originally imported data was, not because of its great accuracy. :P

Other good sources: B&N, Powell's, FantasticFiction.uk, and there's always a general Google search (which is one click away from the GoogleBooks search).

message 7: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thank you rivka - that will be a big help I'm sure! I have noticed that issue with amazon but I've had, for the most part, good experiences with GoogleBooks when I crosscheck anything info with another site or our info here. WorldCat I can't seem to get used to but maybe I just need to mess with it a little more. Thanks a lot!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

WorldCat is a great source because its data comes from libraries worldwide.