Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Jeffery or Jeffrey?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by interior.ocean (new)

interior.ocean (interiorocean) | 4 comments These two author are the same person. I'm sure that the authors name is Jeffery, but on (at least some) of the books under "Jeffrey Farnol" his name is written Jeffrey. I've never heard him using a pen name—and that's not much of a pen name anyway.

The only book under "Jeffrey" I don't know is this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71...

I would move the books to "Jeffery Farnol", but if the name is "Jeffrey" on some (few) of the books, some people might try searching for him by that name.

Any suggestions for solution?

Links to the author:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42491 comments Mod
Looks like "ery" is the French spelling. I suggest the America spelling as primary for those, the French spelling as the secondary author.

message 3: by interior.ocean (new)

interior.ocean (interiorocean) | 4 comments I'm quite sure his name is Jeffery Farnol (John Jeffery Farnol). I don't know about the "Jeffrey", it's only on the cover of few books. Most of the books have the name as "Jeffery".

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ritsu wrote: "I don't know about the "Jeffrey", it's only on the cover of few books."

Most of which appear to be in French.

message 5: by interior.ocean (last edited Mar 10, 2010 03:37PM) (new)

interior.ocean (interiorocean) | 4 comments Oh, that's right. Though first you said "ery" is the French spelling.

Thanks for the advice.

/EDIT: I put Jeffrey Farnol as secondary author, but there's still two profiles for this author. I don't know what to do about that.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ritsu wrote: "Oh, that's right. Though first you said "ery" is the French spelling."

Oops! Typo.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ritsu wrote: "but there's still two profiles for this author. I don't know what to do about that."

Link them to each other, and wait for that day, someday, when GR creates the oft-awaited AKA function? ;)

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Library of Congress is saying it should be "Jeffery."

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Probably they don't parlay voo frahnsay. ;)

message 10: by interior.ocean (new)

interior.ocean (interiorocean) | 4 comments rivka wrote: Link them to each other, and wait for that day, someday, when GR creates the oft-awaited AKA function? ;) "

I did that now. The aka function would be great—it's confusing when there's a profile for every pseudonym.

Anyways, thank you for your help. I'll try to manage these things better from now on, so I don't have to rely on others' help. Thanks again.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ritsu wrote: "I'll try to manage these things better from now on, so I don't have to rely on others' help."

No worries. That's why this group is here. :)