What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. A Book Series I read as a kid. All different types of books.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Locke (last edited Mar 10, 2010 12:58PM) (new)

Locke | 7 comments Alright, so I was looking for a book that I read in around 3rd grade, which was about 9-10 years ago for me, and I found out my mom trashed all of our children books. I was very angry, because I can barely remember any keywords for this book to get a real search working. Here is what I remember...

It is part of a series of books, containing multiple types of stories, and none of them connected I believe. I remember very little about 2 of the stories in the collection.

#1 - I believe a boy got sucked into a game of sorts, possibly a computer game? He progressed through levels, with baddies, powerups, and different weapons he could collect. I remember him getting a car of something in one of the levels. There also might have been a female with him in the game thing at one point. I really remember little.

#2 - All I remember is that this one was an old type fantasy book. It had dwarves, elves, and humans, magic and much fantasy type fighting.

These books were like kids versions of some common interesting reads and genres. I was well ahead of my reading level in 1st-3rd grade (whenever I read it) so it could be a bit older/higher level than I am alluding to. I believe the book had something likes 'Masters" on it somewhere, but perhaps not. Each book had the main series title and then a number. The number was the book in the series, and the title was displayed next to it.

Please help me find this book! I might just never forgive my mother if someone doesn't! XD

Additional Info: Both books were tiny novels. So probably 100+ pages at least. Its hard to judge how long a book was nowadays compared to back then though. I remember it being about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch thick though so I am guessing. The front title was blue and black, and the main text was red I believe.

message 2: by Locke (new)

Locke | 7 comments If anyone even had some good sources for finding book series/collections by genre or such, that would be great. I am really intent on finding out the name of this series so I can find the names of that specific book about the boy in the game.

message 3: by BlueSky (new)

BlueSky this might help you Locke :) it's found some obscure things for me.
www.fictionfinder.oclc.org

message 4: by BlueSky (new)

BlueSky Just remembered the author of similar books my daughter was looking for a while ago - different authors with books on central theme. Try R.A. Salvatore and see if that rings any bells.

message 5: by Locke (new)

Locke | 7 comments Thank you, but with so few keywords that I remember, I could not pull anything up of use. Also, no luck with that author. :/

message 6: by Kevyn (new)

Kevyn Any of these?

The Amulet of Komondor by Adam Osterweil http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-...

The Seventh Crystal (Gary Paulsen World of Adventure) (Paperback)~ Gary Paulsen (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Crystal...

.Hack: //Legend of the Twilight, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
~ Rei Idumi (Author), Tatsuya Hamazaki
http://www.amazon.com/Hack-Legend-Twi...

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 196 comments Here are some anthology series:

Junior Great Books

Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories

other sci-fi anthology series are listed on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category...

Year's Best Fantasy and Horror series

Firebirds series - speculative fiction for juvenile readers -- there's Firebirds, Firebirds Rising and Firebirds SOaring

Changes & Choices Theme Anthologies

Future Directions Theme Anthologies

message 8: by Locke (new)

Locke | 7 comments Hmm, it was none of those, or anything by any of those authors. It was more lighthearted and for a younger audience than most of those books. It's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't bring myself to remember the right keywords to relocate it. All I can really remember to help is that it was a definite numbered book in a series of books for kids, that were all unrelated stories. Kind of like how Goosebumps is. :/

Btw, is there a limit to how long I can keep this topic active? I don't want to outstay my welcome.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Locke wrote: "HBtw, is there a limit to how long I can keep this topic active? I don't want to outstay my welcome. "

No limit. All threads stay active until the books are found. I just found one after originally posting 2 1/2 years ago.

Just bump up any thread you want if there's been no activity for a long time.

message 10: by Locke (new)

Locke | 7 comments Is there any specific information anyone can suggest I provide that would be good for helping? I have said everything pertinent I can think of, but perhaps I am not jogging the right memories.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Locke, Any detail/general info can help. If you think of anything else about it, simply post in this thread again. You never know what detail might job a member's memory. And, be patient. I've found books for others and others for me in anywhere for a minute to two and a half years. The key is to give as much information as you remember. (I found a book even though I had some memories of it that were incorrect, but in general, the more the better.)

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 7006 comments Mod
Locke--anything you remember about the book--even if you think its not really pertinent. You never know what someone else will have remembered, and something YOU thought was minor might have been what they especially remembered. So, post anything at all you recall. :o)

message 13: by Locke (last edited Mar 20, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

Locke | 7 comments Well, the boy was in what I imagined to be like a dark cave or room most of the time. (He progressed through different Levels, clearly like a videogame. But I don't know if he was actually IN one.) I know he gained quite a few gadgets and gizmos, and a car at some point. The whole thing was like a kids computer game, but I am not sure if he really was in one or not. I remember there was a letter, perhaps at the beginning or the end makes sense. It could have even been something he was typing on his computer. There were like laser guns, and I dont think there was a central 'bad guy'. I think it was one of those things where he was overcoming his problems to progress. Like I said I think I remember a girl who might have been in it with him at some point. I thought the book series was something like "Masters of ____" and it was just one of the ordered numbers. I am pretty sure like I said earlier that they are unrelated because I read another one that was classic fantasy and not childrens sci-fi. The book wasnt very long, about the size of an average goosebumps book, but with slightly bigger text. Thank you very much for the help guys, regardless of whether we find the book or not.

Edit: Sorry for all the "I thinks", its all speculation even for me at this point. :/

message 14: by MB (What she read) (last edited Mar 23, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Well, I'm going to post this just in case. But it doesn't entirely match because of the length and the title. But it is a good book, and you might want to look into it as a substitution.

It is by Terry Pratchett Only You Can Save Mankind]. Take a look at the synopsis and see what you think. It has the video game and the girl but a pretty big twist that I'd think you'd remember. (There are 2 more books in this series, also all very good.)

And as a very far stretch, Ender's Game.

message 15: by Locke (new)

Locke | 7 comments Ah, yes neither of those are the one. I mostly want to find this book for sentimental reasons, as I just have very fond memories of it. However, I might pick up that first book if I see it in the library, because it might jog my memory a bit with such a similar premise. Thanks.

message 16: by Annmarie (new)

Annmarie (svea) | 9 comments Your description reminded me of William Sleator's Interstellar Pig, but it doesn't sound spot on. You could take a look at the series listed here to see if you can find it: http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/ser...

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments maybe pixie tricks? I read the series when I was in grade 2 or 3, and that was about 7 years ago.....they were a bit modern though, so they may not have been what you are looking for.... I think there were 9 books in the series....I remember the computer one for sure.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26858 comments Mod
Locke, is it any of the books in msgs 16-17?

message 19: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4191 comments Locke, do you remember how many books were in the series? More than 3, more than 10, more than 20?

Do you remember if the book covers were illustrations (cartoony? realistic? bright?) or photographs? Or, just text on the cover?

message 20: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 7006 comments Mod
Sent Locke a PM telling him that there had been more suggestions. Looks like his last post in here was the last time he was active on GR