TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > Parenthood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 706 (706 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments NBC's 3rd attempt I believe to reinvent the Ron Howard hit movie on the small screen. Anyone else watch it yet? Its on Tuesday nights.

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments I did and I love the cast. So far storyline is different from the usual, but it feels a little like a less "soapy" Brother's & Sisters. I hope it lasts because NBC is notorious for screwing the pooch.

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I too like the cast though i am not feeling drawn in yet but want to like it because of the cast. But you are right, it does feel less soapy, different family dynamic then B&S. I am a fan of B&S but its nice to see something different.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I tried but couldn't get into it..... love the actors but didn't connect with the characters and because of the similarities to B&S I think I will just stick with B&S.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Since I stopped watching B&S after 1st season and I love Peter Krause and Lauren Granham I'm going to hope it lasts and gets even better. xo

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Mixed reviews. I'm going to try and watch this show. Doesn't B&S have old Amy Brenneman in it? I used to watch Judging Amy, and the way it went off kind of ticked me off. She's not one of my favorites.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments I think NBC already ordered more episodes so it must be getting good feedback. I'm not an Amy Brenneman fan either.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Something about her whole demeanor just makes me ill.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments LOL. I just think she's a mediocre actress.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Hey, that's it! I couldn't pinpoint it. Thanks for the help! :)

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Lori - Amy B is on Private Practice.

The reviews for Parenthood seem to be good. I'm just haven't felt sucked in yet.

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli Amy Brenneman is on Private Practice

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Thanks ladies! I knew I saw her somwhere I just could't remember where.I missed the first one, but I have the second on my DVR. As soon as I can get some TV time, the kids have been on there playing games, i'm going to watch it.

message 14: by Allen (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments Never heard of this Ron Howard movie, but I like it so far. Peter Krause(made DSM watchable) and Lauren Graham(watched GG mostly for her) are great, and the rest of the cast works well too.

Its ratings are doing quite well too.

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Good because I'm really liking even actress I didn't much care for, Monica Potter. Hope it lasts.

message 16: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Allen, the original Parenthood from 1989 movie is funny! Has a serious angle too, issues with kids but definitly worth watching if you are enjoying the show.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Oh yea that is a good movie. And i'm liking this show.

NBC is on my last nerve. It says Heroes likely to be axed, while Parks & Recreation, and Community are renewed for the 2010 & 11 season. That bites. Those 2 comedies suck.

message 18: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I adored the movie and was a little worried that the series wouldn't measure up. The cast is quite good, although Peter Krause will never be Steve Martin, and Jason Robards as the patriarch in the movie set the bar really high! You really need to rent the movie, Allen.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Fortunately I didn't see the movie so I have no comparison problems. :-D

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments I think that Craig T. Nelson will do the role of patriarch just fine. I've always liked him, ever since Poltergeist and Coach.

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Me too!

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm liking it. Hoping it lasts a bit.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Hey Jackie wassup? You do know with both of us liking this show it's chance of survival is limited? I hope it stays around awhile.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Lori, I know it, LOL we have the kiss of death! It's got a really good cast so it may have some chance of staying.
I didn't find it like Brothers and Sisters at all. The only similarity for me was the large family. The Bravermans are mostly normal, unlike the crazy Walkers, LOL

message 25: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Lori wrote: NBC....says Heroes likely to be axed, while Parks & Recreation, and Community are renewed for the 2010 & 11 season...."
I'm diggin Community but P&R sucks. And I swore I heard ages ago P&R was getting the ax but now they've rescued it?!?! THAT is the kind of show that gets rescued?! (rolling my eyes)

I really like Craig T. Nelson so I think he's going to give the Patriarch role a whole new angle. Jason R's character in the movie was a lot more of a hard ass while I think CTN's has more hippie mixed in there. They haven't mentioned in the show yet but I read that his character is supposed to be a retired (or out of work) actor that never got far. They really lived off the mom's art.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Heroes has been sucking for a long time, I've been hoping it gets cancelled. If it's still on the air, I feel compelled to watch. I don't know why. I guess TV addiction or whatever.

I didn't see the Parenthood movie but I wish I did. Maybe I'll see if I can rent it. If my sucky video store even has it.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Do you have a Family Video store Jackie? That's where I go and thsy have lots of old school movies. Some 2 for a dollar, and some just 1 each. You can pay $10.00 a month and all your rentals are half price even new releases. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for every new movie you rent you get an old one free. Sometimes I don't rent that many so the 10 spot is a waste, but most of the time it's worth it. They also have free kid movies. Most rentals are for 5 days. I only renew my half price when I get at least 4 movies, that way it counts on them.

I still like Heroes. But I guess we can't get it the way we want it all the time! It's not like NBC is Burger King! Having it our way.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Burger King, that's funny!

No, Lori, all we got is crappy Hollywood at $5 a new release, sometimes months later it's still a 'new' release. They have some older movies, only $1, but not much on choices. And for series, they are The Worst!
Our supermarket used to have great deals similar to the ones you mentioned, they spoiled me. I'd call in the beginning of the month, place my 'hold' order on new releases so it was guaranteed to be available for me. But not many people took advantage of their awesome deals and they closed that section down and now it's full of beer. Beer sells, LOL

message 29: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Check your area libraries too, Jackie. Some libraries still rent out DVDs and they are not always new ones either.

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Roxy, thank you! I always forget about the library. I'm going to call them now.

message 31: by Lori (last edited Mar 26, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments That's what I was going to say Roxy. At the library here it's like checking out a book. It doesn't cost anything.

That's odd Jackie because we have 2 Hollywood stores, and they both just closed up a couple weeks ago. I got Shoot Em Up for $4.50. They had all kinds of deals, but by the time I knew about it most everything was gone. My daughter got quite a few games pretty cheap.

We used to have a Kroger that rented movies, but it didn't last long here. Their prices were to high. We had NetFlix, but if you don't send them back it's a waste, so I went back to Family Video. I'm sorry you don't have one.

message 32: by Jackie (last edited Mar 26, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments One of our Hollywoods closed down. I haven't been to the other in ages, so maybe they've closed too. I can't do Netflix, because of the 'long wait' or 'very long wait'. I'm spoiled, I want a movie right away, the day it's released. I'd wait til the weekend but that's as far as I'm willing to wait. And I don't like that you can't choose the order in which the movies arrive.
Don't I sound like such a brat?

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments I don't get to see them when they first hit the shelf, because their gone as quick as they come in. They don't have where you can call and ask them to hold it for you. It's first come first serve. I get them a week or so later.

message 34: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments A week is OK too. Close enough to the release date.

message 35: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Jackie I have Netflix and the wait isn't long at all. Now, it does depend on where you live in relation to a distribution center. We're not far from one so if I send a movie back on Monday I'll have the next on my list by Wednesday or Thursday. You should check their website to see how far you are from a distribution center.

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I have a lot of friends here in my area who have to wait months for a new release. If I had to wait months, I'd lose interest.

message 37: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I've been sick for the past week and today my husband went to the video store to rent "The Blind Side" for me. He cam home empty handed because all 9 shelves of "The Blind Side" were gone. He even waited around for awhile to see if one would be returned but no luck. I live in a university town and "New Releases" go fast.

message 38: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments New releases on Netflix may be different because they are in high demand at right away I guess. I've got such a big que of all sorts of stuff that I lost interest in having to see the newest one right away. Plenty of other movies, and shows, to keep me occupied.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Yeah, like catching up on all the Goodread groups we're in.LOL :)

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm current with all the new releases I want to see.

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Anyone else still watching this show?

Anyone else think Hattie is playing the good-girl card with her parents?

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, still watching. I really like it.

Definitely Hattie is showing her parents what they want to see, what teenager doesn't? She said Amber told her to break up with Steve, I don't remember it that way, I only remember Amber supporting her decision to break up with Steve. Besides, if she's stupid enough to break up with a guy she likes just because someone told her too then she's an fool and deserves what she gets.

Christine is annoying me. Yes, support your kids but she won't hear anything, there's no other side to the story, her kid is right and that's it.

message 43: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments That is a good way to put what Christine is doing. She was annoying me too but I could figure out how to explain it.

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments I haven't watched this weeks show yet, but Amber told Hattie if he (Steve) was pushing her to have sex then maybe he wasn't the right one for her. For Hattie to think about it and be sure before doing anything she couldn't take back. Then she broke up with him.

message 45: by Jackie (last edited May 19, 2010 04:14PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I know, so she didn't actually tell Hattie to break up with him. I think it was good supportive advise. But then Amber F'd up by sleeping with the dude. It would be bad enough if she started dating him but no, she had to have sex and then tell Hattie about it!
I don't think Hattie would have cared if it was months down the line, not days after they broke up.

I like Adam's reaction, 'Hattie didn't have sex, I'm happy'. Spoken like a real dad, LOL

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments Amber should have kept her mouth shut. And if she did have to tell it should have sounded something like this. " Hattie, Steve and I were drinking some, at the party I should have been working at. I don't know how it happened but with drinking comes talking, and talking lead to dancing, and well, his dick just sort of slipped into my vajjay. Sorry!"

message 47: by Allen (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments FYI everyone, its Haddie, not Hattie.

I don't think she's intentionally pulling a 'good girl' act. Her parents just have that perception cause they don't pay as much attention to her as Max, and she has been able to take care of herself, which makes her seem good in their eyes.

I really just think she needs to get over it. She chose to break up and was pretty fine with it after. Let Amber have a go.

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 730 comments I don't know if Amber wants him either. But you are right Haddie needs to get over it.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Haddie, then. Maybe the actors should pronounce it correctly because it sounds like Hattie to me.

message 50: by Allen (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments It sounded like Ds to me, and I only checked when I saw everyone here using Hattie. Hattie just doesn't sound like a name(not that Haddie is too much better), at least not modern. And I believe it was on her door once or twice.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15