Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Fun and Games > The Useless and Trivial Folder

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I love useless trivia and thought I would make a folder to share it. Feel free to start your own thread on any useless and trivial thing you want :)

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Mar 18, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments The oldest hotel is located in Japan. Hoshi Ryokan was founded in 718.

Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.

The percent of colors in M&M candies: 30% brown, 20% yellow and red, 10% orange, green, and tan.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." uses every letter in the alphabet. (Developed by Western Union to Test telex/twx communications)

An ostrich's eye is bigger that it's brain.

The first toilet ever seen on television was on "Leave It To Beaver".

Antarctica is the only continent without reptiles or snakes.

Australia is the only country that is also a continent.

Hawaii is the only US state that grows coffee.

Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.

Swans are the only birds with penises.

The only active diamond mine in the United States is in Arkansas.

The only country in the world that has a Bill of Rights for Cows is India.

The hummingbird is the only bird that can fly backwards.

The hyoid bone in the throat is the only bone in the human body not joined to another.

The Joshua tree is the only tree that grows in California's Mojave Desert.

The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card.

message 3: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I love stuff like this. I've always seemed to be a sponge for all sorts of useless bits of information, but unfortunately, my memory isn't what it used to be.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I love stuff like this. I've always seemed to be a sponge for all sorts of useless bits of information, but unfortunately, my memory isn't what it used to be."

me too and my memory is shot too :(
Probably too full of the useless stuff it can't remember the important stuff.

message 5: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments LOL! Hmmmmm, maybe that's it.:-)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I love useless trivia. Thanks for sharing.

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Acupuncture was first used as a medical treatment in 2700 BC by Chinese emperor Shen-Nung.

Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute.

At the height of its power, in 400 BC, the Greek city of Sparta had 25,000 citizens and 500,000 slaves.

Christmas became a national holiday in the US in 1890.

New Orleans' first Mardi Gras celebration was held in February, 1826.

New York's first St. Patrick's day parade was held on March 17, 1762.

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 BC.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments Hmm. I wonder if they had a lot of UTI's back then, with the crocodile dung and all.

message 9: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.

Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.

During the California Gold Rush of 1849 miners sent their laundry to Honolulu for washing and pressing. Due to the high costs in California during these years it was deemed more feasible to send the shirts to Hawaii for servicing.

The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springstein's 'Born in the USA.'

The mask used by Michael Myers in the original Halloween was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand. One should carry a stout pole while travelling in quicksand country...when placed under one's back, it helps one to float out of the quicksand.

Casey Kasem is the voice of Shaggy on Scooby-Doo.

Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to digest a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. (Mmm, diet food.)

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Hawaiian alphabet has 12 letters

Only President to remain a bachelor: James Buchanon

Only first lady to carry a loaded revolver: Eleanor Roosevelt

In the Caribbean there are oysters that can climb trees

Pilgrims ate popcorn at the first Thanksgiving dinner

Heinz Catsup leaving the bottle travels at 25 miles per year

Starfish have eight eyes--one at the end of each leg

Only continent without reptiles or snakes: Antarctica

Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments In Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard the hero and heroine throw trivia back and forth to one another; it is cute. :)

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Popcorn was the first "puffed" cereal!