Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Milkaholic Lindsay sues E-Trader.com

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I heard about this this morning in an article saying that Lindsay's publicist claims that people refer to her by the first name only, like Madonna, and that E-Trader was slandering her by using her name.
It wasn't until I came across this
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/lindsay-loh...
this afternoon that I understood why she was so pissed.

That commercial was the first time one of these creepy talking baby E-Trader commercials ever made me laugh out loud.

Milk-a-whaaaa? ahahahhahaha. Suck it, Lindsay. If you're going to behave badly, get ready for people to laugh at you. That's what happens.

But I honestly think it was being used as just a name, with no reference intended.
You?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

And, bonus feature:

A decade of degeneration.
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityne...

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments lindsay says she has a first name branding like madonna, cher or elmo. she is right on the edge of total celebrity wackiness. you way lindsay and i say wagner

message 4: by Rannie (new)

Rannie I know 3 Lindsays who are friends of my grown son and 2 more friends of my grown daughter. Hardly a unique name.

message 5: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments So if it had been a flattering ad it would have been 'free advertising' for her career? And hmmmm, after googling, it seems there are 98,782 people in the U.S. with the first name Lindsay. Let's do the math Lindsay...

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 09, 2010 05:06PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Who can we sue for using our names? Cambridge, there's a city named after you. Go sue their asses. Sally...there's a fat lady on tv who used to be on All in the Family who I sometimes see asking for money. Sue her ass, too. She has your name.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

>:

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments (Only because she has your name. You share nothing else in common with her...I'll shut up now.)

(No, I won't. I'm fascinated by your ellipse post on facebook today. I had no idea you could use four dots, seriously.)

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

My favorite professor taught her class about that when I was her TA in 2007. It stuck.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments ...

They look totally different to me. The second one creeps me out a little, like I'm breaking the law by using it.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

and actually you're supposed to put a space between the dots. Technically.

. . . not ...

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The 4 dots are used at the end of a sentence, I believe.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments . . .

. . . .

That looks even weirder. Sally explained the four dot thing today, something about breaking up a longer passage...

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Larry saw, how could he not have?

But he's right, in a way. The four dots signify that there is an entire sentence (or more) missing from the passage.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Who can we sue for using our names? Cambridge, there's a city named after you. Go sue their asses. Sally...there's a fat lady on tv who used to be on All in the Family who I sometimes see asking..."

nice one RA. my buddies call this "walking the plank" when you say something to a girl that immediately you know she will take wrong. it was named for my friend matt who used to say things in a group of friends like "sure darcy is heavier than when i married her but i love her just the same". good intentions gone bad :)

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments as a frequent (prob too frequent) user of the dot dot dot, i am shocked and dismayed by the four dots. i do not like it one bit.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That was a close one, Kevin. And I had the best intentions (dot dot dot)

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Well, herumph, I thought it was 3 that signified a missing portion.

And Sally, I remember one word that's changed - alot. See, there's that stoopid red underlining telling me that I'm wrong. Well, sorrrrrry, it used to be that was correct!

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Lori: dot dot dot does signify a missing portion. Just less than a sentence worth.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Huh! Learn something new every day, I love it!

and another word: alittle.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

That was a word?

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori When I was in elementary school. Yep. Yet when I just googled, it now says both are the "illiterate" way of spelling! Good golly miss molly, I'm illiterate!

message 23: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments OMGOSH Sally please confirm that 'a lot' is two words and has not been combined to 'alot'? My gosh of all the grammar that did sink in, that was the tiny bit that stuck. And I too thought that 3 dots gave the impression of missing text and most likely more than a sentence, but now I know that I need to use 4 dots for implied lingering thoughts :) (but not until you let me know that I have graduated to using dots again :) )

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

No dots for you.

message 25: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I know :), I will wait patiently for my graduation day :) (btw I am sneaking dots in with smiley faces, *giggle*, which I am sure you have noticed overuse :)

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Okay dots enough.

message 27: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Larry you silly card! :) *note smiley* and asterisks, the new dot, I am sure I can find a way to overuse any punctuation (phew i almost inadvertently dotted there at the end of that statement)

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Asterisk me no questions I'll tell you no lies.

message 29: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments OMG Larry you are driving me to drink on a Tuesday night! hehehe (not that there is anything wrong with that ;) )

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry, you're driving me to drink Friday night.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So I'm the designated driver now?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, it looks like you drive a lot of people to drink! :-).

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We better hope I don't lose my license. Or run out of gas.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

It's all virtual Larry, you should be fine.

I wonder what the penalty for drunk driving on the information highway is?

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't know, Jim. I'm still looking for the horn button.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It's voice activated Larry, just sit at your desk and yell Honk at the computer screen. Everyone around you will understand. :-)

message 37: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm going to sue Baryshnikov and ask for retroactive damages. He stole my nickname before I ever even used it! The noive of some people!

I'm also going to sue that skinny little bitch Mischa Barton. She won't get away with her act of name theft just because she added a letter. Hmph!

message 38: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Unfortunately I think we will read about her death next....