Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Sunday is Pi Day.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments How are you going to celebrate me it?

message 2: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I have a friend who was a math major in college. She celebrates Pi Day every year with a slice of pie.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I may have a slice of pie.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) All these years and I've never heard of this. Thanks, Sarah! I celebrate you. Cheers!

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This Sunday? I will most likely read the paper in your honor, m'am.:)

message 6: by Misha (last edited Mar 09, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Chocolate cream for me!

Or perhaps a slice of pizza...

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pizza pie? What a novel idea!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'd like to have pie, but I've given up sweets for Lent.
Maybe quiche? Does that count? I'd happily eat quiche for pie day. :)

message 9: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) If it's in a pie crust, I think it counts.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Steak and kidney pie?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And then there's the whole cheesecake/Boston Cream Pie controversy to consider!

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm glad it's a-round.

message 13: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Cheesecake that's baked is a cake. Cheesecake mix that you get from the grocery store and chill in a pie crust is pie. There's really not much controversy. Pie crust = pie. No pie crust = not pie.

I suppose the debate then is whether pizza crust counts as a pie crust. I'll argue that it does.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So I guess those pie tins filled with cream that Soupy Sales got in his face weren't actually pies?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Misha, you're right. The crust makes the difference.

Pizza! That's it! I will plan to have pizza on pie day. I will enjoy justification for eating pizza, and bug RA at the same time for calling pizza "pie". Woo!

message 16: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 09, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I might be in the northwest in May. Maybe the librarian and I should get Thai food, just to be safe. Assuming she'll agree to eat anywhere with me. We've had our food-related conflicts.

message 17: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Pie tins filled with whipped cream but sans crust are not pies.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That reminds me, I know some of you other people live in the northwest, too...maybe we can all get together, if anyone's interested. Details to follow. Or I can just watch fish get thrown around or whatever.

message 19: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I think a Pacific Northwest TC get together sounds fantastic. For me, it would depend on when and where and whether I can get away from the newspaper.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I might be in the northwest in May. Maybe the librarian and I should get Thai food, just to be safe. Assuming she'll agree to eat anywhere with me. We've had our food-related conflicts."

I would be happy to eat Thai food with you, RA, but I think we should avoid sharing pizza. :)

message 21: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 09, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes. You'd just mess up the toppings and call it by the wrong name.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'd mock you for your unsophisticated pizza tastes.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think on Pi Day we should all calculate the area of our collective pies using the formula PiRSquared.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "I think on Pi Day we should all calculate the area of our collective pies using the formula PiRSquared."

Knock yourself out, Larry, but I ain't gonna do that. I am weak in the Logical/Mathematical Intelligence area, you see...

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I was just showing off, Jackie. I won't do it either.

message 26: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Larry! Hasn't anyone told you that pi-r-round?

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) If pie are around I tend to eat it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::still wondering what, exactly, "Boston Cream" is:::

message 29: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) It's a cake. It's made of a cake split in half and filled with cream, then covered with chocolate. I have no idea why it's called "Boston Cream Pie."

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Exactly, Misha. It's a cake, cake cake cake CAKE! With cream stuff between the layers.
But, is it "Boston cream"? Or is it just cream, with the Boston modifying "pie"...

message 31: by Misha (last edited Mar 09, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I think "boston" and "cream" both modify pie (or cake), in other words it's a cream pie from Boston. So shouldn't it be hyphenated? Boston-cream pie.

Wikipedia said it was invented at a hotel in Boston.

"A Boston cream pie is a round cake that is split and filled with a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate.[1:]

Created by French chef M. Sanzian at Boston's Parker House Hotel, opened in 1855, this pudding/cake combination comprises two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla custard or crème pâtissière. The cake is topped with a chocolate glaze (such as ganache) and sometimes powdered sugar or a cherry.

A Boston cream doughnut is a local name for a Berliner filled with vanilla custard or crème pâtissière and topped with icing made from chocolate.

The Boston cream pie is the official dessert of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

This is really making me hungry.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love Boston Cream pie. I think I have a little obsession going, here. :)

message 33: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm debating whether I have time to run over to the Bayview Thriftway and hit the bakery for an individual slice of something yummy and sweet. I really, really shouldn't, especially since I have Girl Scout cookies sitting at home. But the thought of a slice of cake or pie or a cream-filled doughnut is making my mouth water.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I want pie now. I have Key Lime Pie tofutti cuties in the freezer, but those don't count.
And we're headed to taco night soon, so no pie there.

message 35: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Yeah, I have some Trader Joe's blueberry cereal bars that are intended to fulfill my cravings for sweets in a moderately healthy way, but I really want pie. Now.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll settle for Apple Pie. It's 9.50am. I don't think I could eat anything too rich in the morning.

Could I get a 3.142 slice of that Pi?

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am going to celebrate by listening to some of your music. now put some links on here for me so i can :)

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You'll have to take it out 25 more decimal places, Gail/Gale/Gayle/Gayl.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I love Boston Cream pie. I think I have a little obsession going, here. :)"

I do, too. But I can't remember the last time I had some.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i am going to celebrate by listening to some of your music. now put some links on here for me so i can :)"

iTunes, Kevin.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "You'll have to take it out 25 more decimal places, Gail/Gale/Gayle/Gayl."

Larry JUST PICK ONE! I'm not fussy.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Um ... I pick ... um uh ... GAIL.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you have to pick the boring one?

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can't help it. I'm attracted to boring names, Gayl.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i am going to celebrate by listening to some of your music. now put some links on here for me so i can :)"

I haven't updated our myspace in a while, but I think there's a link or two up there still
http://www.myspace.com/stalkinghorses

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments appy Pi day!!

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm gonna listen to some Sarah Pi music.

And the Whole Foods near us is handing out free pie and coffee. Maybe yours is, too, assuming one is nearby.

message 48: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments In past years I have bought pies and gave them out to friends on pi day...I may do it again this year.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You're a good friend, Jaime.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am going to eat a pizza pi on sunday. because that is what they really are called. pi.

« previous 1