Between the Lines discussion

General Chit Chat > Things we do, besides reading.

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by galya (new)

galya When I don't read, I knit or crochet (or attempt to), which sometimes leaves me days without my book.

What do you guys like to do, other than read? :)

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I also crochet and I scrapbook. It's been a while since I've done either of my other hobbies, but sometime soon, hopefully!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I do a little knitting, counted cross stitch, some scrapbooking, walking, Wii Fit (especially the step aerobics and rythmic boxing), cooking and baking.

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena I scrapbook.

message 5: by Patti (new)

Patti (rhyter) | 2 comments My mobility is limited due to a severe back injury; so there's not much I can do. I write alot, knit, sew, read, and watch documentary TV shows and make slide shows and movies from my photos on my PC. My degree is in English Lit, so at times I get out one of those anthologies and read some classical pieces.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo I draw and write. I am also a begginer at guitar.

message 7: by galya (last edited Mar 10, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

galya Beth wrote: "I do a little knitting, counted cross stitch, some scrapbooking, walking, Wii Fit (especially the step aerobics and rythmic boxing), cooking and baking."

I also love baking and cooking! :)

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Galya, I find cooking and baking to be very relaxing and then of course eating afterwards is always nice. I love trying new recipes and it's always rewarding to cook and bake for people who appreciate it (aka, my husband and kids).

Nancy (Colorado) Besides being a teacher and reading books (of course), I am a runner, love to exercise, play golf, cook, and be with my family!

message 10: by galya (new)

galya Beth wrote: "Galya, I find cooking and baking to be very relaxing and then of course eating afterwards is always nice. I love trying new recipes and it's always rewarding to cook and bake for people who apprec..."

Me too!! Considering I don't cook that much, it's nice when I get to do my own thing.
I made brownies from scratch the other time, and they came out delicious!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Yum, I love homemade browinies!

message 12: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I also sew and watch a lot of TV. Plus play on my new Nintendo DS.

message 13: by galya (new)

galya Haha, games can also be addicting. :)

message 14: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I totally intended to buy quick games (cards, board games) but couldn't resist the hours long games I played as a teenager. However, sewing and reading still take up the bulk of my time.

message 15: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 655 comments I enjoy gardening, Bunko, playing games, knitting, and baking. Anything to keep busy!!

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hare | 1 comments I have 4 kids so obviously that takes up a huge chunk of my time. Otherwise I blog, listen to podcasts, spend way to much time on FB, cook alot, attempt to learn arabic.

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway Besides reading, I ride in a bicycle club (20-40 mile rides at a time) and run, throwing in a 5k race now and then.

message 18: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 72 comments I make some handmade jewelry in my spare time if I'm not reading.

message 19: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) When I'm not reading...I'm reading school-related stuff, LOL.

Okay, that aside, I spend time on the web, blogging or making wallpapers/icons/whathaveyou or updating my website. I also write quite a bit on my spare time, though I haven't lately because of school (when I write, it's usually essays for courses) =S Last summer I was trying to start learning Russian in preparation for this school year; I'll likely be continuing that after all my coursework's done =)

message 20: by Faa (new)

Faa | 5 comments when i'm off from reading, i'll probably off for hiking & climbing. love the jungle tracks and fresh mountains too..

message 21: by galya (new)

galya I'm Russian. :) I spend a lot of time with my boyfriend, but I also spend some time learning Spanish and studying psychology on my own.

message 22: by galya (new)

galya Everyone has such awesome hobbies here!!!

message 23: by Katie (last edited Apr 05, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Traveling, camping, spending time with my husband and dogs. However, in all those activities I can find time to peek at a book. And camping is prime for reading a good book. Hook up a hammock between 2 trees and you're all set.

I also like to watch TV and movies, so no book looking...

If it came between the TV and books, the box would be set out curbside.

message 24: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 655 comments In addition to what I posted before, I have a new addiction! My daughter and I have been working on the family tree by using ancestry.com. It is SO interesting.

message 25: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty In addition to reading, I watch DVDs and TV, and listen to music (usually classical)

message 26: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 72 comments Alanna wrote: "In addition to what I posted before, I have a new addiction! My daughter and I have been working on the family tree by using ancestry.com. It is SO interesting."

Have you heard/seen the show Who Do You Think You Are? on NBC? Tonight's episode followed Sarah Jessica Parker and her search for her ancestors. I find family trees and genealogy so interesting! I'd love to do mine, but I have so much family and most of them in the Philippines, not here. So I'm not sure how much I can find on ancestry.com

Have you been making progress of your family tree?

message 27: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 655 comments Kristine wrote: "Alanna wrote: "In addition to what I posted before, I have a new addiction! My daughter and I have been working on the family tree by using ancestry.com. It is SO interesting."

Have you heard/se..."

Yes, we have been watching the show and love it. We have been very successful with our family tree. We have traced most of the tree back to the 1700's and some of it even further. We find it very interesting and then we do research to find out some of the history of the times and places we have discovered. We have found people from all over the world and ancestry.com has info for around the world, too.

message 28: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) | 24 comments Besides reading I enjoy knitting, aerobic and jogging and I'm totally into the video-game-stuff. =)

message 29: by galya (new)

galya I'm planning on doing yoga. My first class will be on Wednesday!!! :)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) Alanna wrote: "In addition to what I posted before, I have a new addiction! My daughter and I have been working on the family tree by using ancestry.com. It is SO interesting."

I started trying to trace my father's side of the family several years ago. I made it back to the late 1700's when they first came to America..... but then it came to a dead end.........its like he just appeared out of no where...and was dropped in South Carolina......

Other than reading, I love to make book marks, play softball, and run. However, not much time for it lately with grad school. I am anxiously awaiting my month long break coming up!!

message 31: by Tiffini (new)

Tiffini Johnson (tiffinijohnson) | 1 comments During the daytime hours, I'm a home-schooling mom who likes to actively play with her kids: the girls and I are always off on some adventure. I trumpet through the house, pretending to be an elephant with them on my back, we have "Picasso Days" where we set the easel outside and go wacky painting.

I'm an insomniac, which is a good thing, because it's during the nighttime that I write and read. It may not sound like it's a lot of time, but, believe me, it is. My bedtime is usually 2 or 3 am; then up again at 7!

I'm a fanatic about horses too: I love to run them! I sing country music whenever I hear one I know, regardless of what poor soul may be with me at the moment :). I also love being outside, gardening, cooking, etc. Mainly, though, my life resides in kids and writing and reading!

message 32: by galya (new)

galya Tiffini wrote: "During the daytime hours, I'm a home-schooling mom who likes to actively play with her kids: the girls and I are always off on some adventure. I trumpet through the house, pretending to be an eleph..."

You sound very active, that's so awesome!!!

message 33: by Nita (new)

Nita (nitacheetah) OMGoodness! I too am now slightly addicted to ancestry.com. I have actually been fairly successful in tracing my mom's side of the family and I have learned SOOOO much about myself and where I come from that I never knew. I love the show, and I hope that it's something that continues. :)

message 34: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 8 comments Besides reading, I write.

message 35: by Ginny (new)

Ginny I crochet, cross stitch. hang out with my two teen age daughters, walk my dog, listen to music ( which invariably causes me to try to interpret the music's lyrics into sign language because I'm an interpreter for the deaf and u never know when u will need to interpret a song during a presentation)playing my flute and talking with friends. I want to learn Ukrainian and Ukrainian Sign Language but haven't been able to do that yet.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I like to write, do word puzzles, jigsaw puzzles with my sister, hang out with family and friends, yardwork, exercise, etc. Whatever keeps my busy.

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Nita wrote: "OMGoodness! I too am now slightly addicted to ancestry.com. I have actually been fairly successful in tracing my mom's side of the family and I have learned SOOOO much about myself and where I co..."

Another genealogy site is http:www.geni.com It's a great site and I'm on it. I've been working on my family tree. Couple of months ago we found an old suitcase of my grandmother's and inside was old documents(birth/death certificats, report cards, diplomas, etc.). It helped out with the blank spaces in my family tree. The Kuntz side of the family tree is bigger than the Lamore side of the tree.

message 38: by Maria (new)

Maria | 21 comments Besides reading, I like Pilates, exercise, relaxing, watching TV, DVD, Video or watching movies on You Tube, going sometimes to the cinema,shopping,cooking, learning languages, but I like be busy.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments Oh my, are we supposed to do something other than read? LOL! I would have to say spending time with my family and friends is at the top of the list. Whether it's playing with my granddaughters, going out to eat with family or friends, going to book events with a couple of my friends who are also book lovers, or taking in a movie, I love the time spent with these favorite people. It seems I spend quite a bit of time on goodreads, too, so that must be a favorite activity. I enjoy cooking for family, too.

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) My other favortite hobby besides reading is hiking.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I write, go dancing, hoop and play with fire

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I write in a journal, sing, hike, canoe, horse-back ride, bake, embroider, and bird-watch.

message 43: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 45 comments Aside from a very busy job, I like to go dog walking, catch movies, play video games and watch TV on demand/catch up. Just watched very episode of Breaking Bad.