For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Challenges > Personal Challenge

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If you have a personal challenge that you would like to share or keep track of, this is the place to be.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i want to publish a book! so if anyone knows a publisher who takes submitions (sp?) from kids, tell me!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That is a great challenge! I wish you luck with your writing. I'm sorry I have no idea which way to point you for publishing.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I want to publish a book aswell. It seems like an impossible task but i am going to give it a go!

message 5: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I am currently writing a book. I have about 42 pages written. I want to learn more about the writing field so I can get published.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jo wrote: "I want to publish a book aswell. It seems like an impossible task but i am going to give it a go!"

i have seen some REALLY good publishing sites but they're for 18+...

message 7: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) The first piece of advice I was given from an author was to get into a writer's group. First step and then go from there.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo *Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "Jo wrote: "I want to publish a book aswell. It seems like an impossible task but i am going to give it a go!"

i have seen some REALLY good publishing sites but they're for 18+..."

Are you under 18? How old are you?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

11. DONT STALK ME! =P

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol that quite a way off 18! All i can suggest is keep on writing and saving it all up so that when you turn 18 you will have loads of work to try and sell.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, i guess....

message 12: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 150 comments Inkpop.com is for teens...might want to look into it in a few years. Basically, people post their writing and comment/vote on others. At the end of the month, the top five projects are read by actual editors...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

cool, thanks!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

That does sound like a good resource. Thanks for sharing Jordan.

message 15: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments I'm planning on reading five books this Spring Break. So far, being Monday, I've read one and a half books, and have started studying an awesome version of a textbook for a class that I will have to take in school that is notoriously hard!

Plus my other goal for this Spring Break, that totally has nothing to do with reading, but go on a date for the first time ages, and that's happening tomorrow night :D

message 16: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** Going on a date sounds fun...I love it when my husband surprises me with date nights. It's nice getting out just the two of us without our son once in awhile.

message 17: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i just joined the group Read 150+ books a year
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Good Luck with that challenge Leonor! I'm sure if anyone can read that much you could.

message 19: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) thanks elyssa!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome!

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela B I am doing an A-Z author challenge and I am really enjoying it if anyone wants more details tell me

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i want!

message 23: by KSMary (new)

KSMary I did an A-Z challenge a few years back and it was good for me. I discovered a few new authors that way that I like such as Isabel Allende.

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela B Well Paperdoll this is how it was explained to me I'll also post the list of authors I choice in the next post :)

This is the info on the A-Z challenge in my Log. If you want to do it, great. If you are following it in another group and want to log it here, great. :)

A-Z Author Challenge

I think this would be a fun challenge we would have the whole year to complete.

It involves making a list of books to read and the authors last name has to start with a letter of the alphabet. Here is an example:

A - Arthur, Keri - Kissing Sin
B - Booth, Stephen - Black Dog
C - Carr, Robyn - Virgin River

The whole idea is to challenge yourself by sticking to the original list that you come up with, but since so many members read based on mood, we can add a stipulation that you can change any 8 books on your list at any given time. If you can't find anything that interest you for letters like X, Z, then you have to double up on another letter. You can overlap with other challenges. I am going to be using books that I own to complete this challenge, but you can use new books if you like.

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela B Here's My List:

A- Alt, Madelyn - A Charmed Death
B- Blair, Annette - Naked Dragon
C- Clare, Cassandra - City Of Glass
D- Davis, Kyra - Sex, Murder and a Double Latte
E- Edwards, Kim - The Memory Keepers Daughter
F- Foster, Amy S. - When Autumn Leaves
G- Graham, Heather - Deadly Night
H- Hamilton, Laurell K. - Flirt
I- Iles, Greg - Mortal Fear
J- Jackson, Lisa - Cold Blooded
K- King, Stephen - The Gunslinger
L- Lindsay, Jeff - Darkly Dreaming Dexter
M- Macalister, Katie - Holy Smokes
N- Niffenegger, Audrey - The Time Traveler’s Wife
O- Ockler, Sarah - Twenty Boy Summer
P- Pike, Christopher - Thirst No. 1
Q- *Chandler, Elizabeth - Dark Secrets 1
R- Rice, Anne - Interview with a Vampire
S- Sheehan, Jacqueline - Lost & Found
T- Thurman, Rob - Trick of the Light
U- * Cain, Chelsea - HeartSick
V- Viehl , Lynn - If Angels Burn
W- Ward, J.R. - Dark Lover
X- * Harrison, Kim - Black Magic Sanction
Y- Young, Karen - Never Tell
Z- *Armstrong, Kelley - Bitten

Who would have known I have so many authors who’s (last) names start with C’s or H’s! I found if 4 re-dos for the letters is too many hmmm? How do I cross them out on here?

message 26: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Angela wrote: "Well Paperdoll this is how it was explained to me I'll also post the list of authors I choice in the next post :)

This is the info on the A-Z challenge in my Log. If you want to do it, great. If..."

cool I want to do it!is there a group or something?

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela B It's in my Fiction Fair group but as far as I know there is no group that does only that. If you ask to join the group tell them I invited you because it is a private group :)

message 28: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) aw i went to see and its 18 over

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela B Bummer sorry I would have passed that on but I didn't know your age! You could always make a list and post it here :) I'd like to see it if nothing else :)

message 30: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) sounds good to me.in fact, maybe Ill make a folder for this and if someone else wants to do it, they do, what do you think?

message 31: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) You could suggest it as a challenge or start a thread on it.

message 32: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol we had the same idea

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela B that sounds like a good idea :) If you do I'll post my list there also :)

message 34: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) done!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I started a A-Z author challenge and a A-Z book title challenge in my other group and we have a small group of people working on completing. I've got 10 books left for one of the challenges.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela B oooo A-Z book title challenge I might have to do next year or maybe after I finish the author challenge this year...it sounds fun :) I find I read more if I call it a challenge and I do enjoy my reading :)

message 37: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I might try that too.... I am also doing the read my name challenge:)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting. We can add that as a challenge. Although, if your name was Tim it wouldn't be too challenging.

message 39: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) read my name?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

You read the books that begin with each letter of your name. For example my name starts with E. I would have to find a title that starts with the same letter and so on an so on.

message 41: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) ooh that sounds cool we could do that

message 42: by Angela (new)

Angela B Hmmm the name challenge sounds fun but I would only start it if I finish the other challenges I am already signed up for

message 43: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "You read the books that begin with each letter of your name. For example my name starts with E. I would have to find a title that starts with the same letter and so on an so on."

would this be the may challenge? or personal challenge?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Personal Challenge. I think that would be too much for one month.

We could make it a July to Dec, 6 month, challenge.

message 45: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "Personal Challenge. I think that would be too much for one month.

We could make it a July to Dec, 6 month, challenge."

sounds good to me.

so the summer challenge is beach reads, etc?

message 46: by Max (new)

Max (maxbob) Just kicking a stagnant thread - I decided in October last year to read from A to Z, four books in each letter and only authors I've not read before. I'm currently halfway through 'f' and with 21 books under my wing I'm having such a good time.
I've also tried to pick books myself as rarely as possible, leaning more on recommendations and selecting classics and genre-classics where possible. As a lover of sci-fi, I've enjoyed Jane Austen, Arthur Conan Doyle and Dickens just as much as Asimov and Orson Scott Card.
...And I've got some cracking reads lined up :D