Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Entry for 10 books, not one

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nihonjoe (new)

Nihonjoe | 76 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

This entry is a combined listing for all ten books in a series instead of just one of them. It should be deleted as there is no combined volume like this available in any language.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Thanks for catching that! I've merged it into the first book in the series.

message 3: by Nihonjoe (new)

Nihonjoe | 76 comments Awesome. Another related question: is it possible to put in aliases for different romanizations of a Japanese author's name? In this case, the author prefers "Chica Umino", but the normal romanization would be "Chika Umino".

message 4: by Nihonjoe (new)

Nihonjoe | 76 comments Also, with authors whose name is originally written in non-Roman characters, how do you make the system show the Roman characters and the original? Should the author be listed as 羽海野 チカ and "Chica Umino" in the author field for all the books?

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments From what I've seen, people add the non-Roman name as the primary author and the romanization as a secondary author. That's probably the best solution until an alias feature is added.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments I think the convention is to use Roman spelling, then add other forms to the biography section. There was a discussion on this recently when someone change Leo Tolstoy from Roman to Russian Cyrillic and included both in the author Name field

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Now that I think about it, I think the official verdict is to use whatever form they use in the Library of Congress.

message 8: by Nihonjoe (new)

Nihonjoe | 76 comments The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to combine the original Japanese release of a book and the English translation of that same book, but the system doesn't see 羽海野 チカ and "Chica Umino" as the same thing so I can't combine them.

Should I change the 羽海野 チカ author to "Chica Umino", and then place 羽海野 チカ in the bio field?

message 9: by Nihonjoe (new)

Nihonjoe | 76 comments I should note that adding the romanized name as a second author doesn't prompt the system to allow merging, either.

message 10: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments I believe the best thing to do is to have both names as authors, than have the profiles point to each other per this thread.

To merge, you need to have the same author as the primary author. You can change the primary author to be Chica Umino, merge, than change the primary author back to 羽海野 チカ on those books where that is the author listed.