Cozy Mysteries discussion

Book and Series discussions > The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I have a question about this story. Can someone pls. tell me why Roger Ackroyd was murdered? I must have been daydreaming as I was watching this last night and while I know who did it, I don't know why.
Thanks!

message 2: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 05, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments Um.. I read this some time ago, but I think Poirot's new assistant (Dr. ?)also the books narrator murdered Roger because he wanted to "stump" Poirot and be the person to find the murderer ??????

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Actually, thinking about this now, the film/book endings may well be different. This was the reason in the book?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments OK. I checked Wikipedia for you. Does this sound like the movie you watched? "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was adapted as a 103-minute drama transmitted in the U.K. on ITV Sunday January 2, 2000, as a special episode in their series, Agatha Christie's Poirot. In this adaptation Japp — not Sheppard — is Poirot's assistant, leaving Sheppard as just another suspect. However, the device of Dr. Sheppard's journal is retained as the supposed source of Poirot's voice-over narration and forms an integral part of the dénouement. The plot strayed considerably from the book, including having Sheppard run over Parker numerous times with his car.????????" If, this sounds like your movie than it was NOT like the book at all.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Yes, that's it. Still I'd like to know WHY Roger Ackroyd was murdered. Guess I'll take a trip to the library and borrow the dvd.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments Well, in the book he was murdered as the real murderer (Dr. Sheppard) wanted to prove Poirot could not solve the murder. No clue why he was killed in the movie you watched - sounds confusing! Good luck.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen | 17 comments I have never seen a movie of this book ... the effect of having the narrator as the murderer would have been hard to dramatise ..

Roger Ackroyd was murdered as Dr Sheppard was blackmailing his lover as she had earlier poisoned her husband ... and she committed suicide and left a not to Ackroyd revealing who the blackmailer was ... Dr Sheppard had to kill him before this was revealed to others ...

He did also take pleasure in trying to trick the famous Poirot ...

Anyway I think that is the plot!