Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Combining books with same ISBN

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenw) | 3 comments I'm new to being a librarian, so I'm not sure how to fix something. There are two listings for the same book, one with an ISBN and one without:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65...

If I delete the one without the ISBN, will everyone's reviews of that version be deleted, too? (I think this was caused by the one with the ISBN having the wrong title until I corrected it.)

Thanks!
-Ellen

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenw) | 3 comments Okay, right after I wrote that, I found the right part of the manual:

1. Separate the duplicate and its actual edition from any other editions of that book.
2. Combine them just with each other.
3. click 'delete this book' at the bottom of the edit book page. Note that this only works for books that have been shlved 5 times or less. It will merge with its actual edition because this is the most popular (only) other edition available in that combination.
4. Re-combine the actual edition with the other editions of the book.

But I still have two questions:
How do I combine editions?? I've looked all over and can't find a "combine" button. Maybe I'm overlooking it.
Since both versions have been shelved more than five times, how do I then delete the other edition?

Thanks again!
-Ellen

message 3: by Cait (last edited Mar 05, 2010 06:46AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Ellen, the "combine" link from a book page is on the sidebar titled "other editions", and you can also reach it from the author page using the "combine editions" link.

This will take you to the combine page, where you can combine various editions of the same book. In a case like this where the incorrect edition has been shelved more than five times, you'd then come back to this group and ask for a superlibrarian to do the merging (there's a thread called "Please delete this book" for that purpose) -- I've done that for you now. (For a little while you may see a phantom edition from the book page, but it's definitely merged.)

If you want to check out combining for yourself, there are two uncombined editions of "If A Place Can Make You Cry" for this author....

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenw) | 3 comments Thanks, Cait! I was able to combine the two editions of If a Place Can Make You Cry, and I feel much less confused now.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Glad to help! :)