The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Completely New

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Peel | 37 comments Just wanted to say that I am completely new to good reads and this group, so if you've got any hints or tips I'd be glad to hear them :D

Also, and this is gonna sound stupid been on a book site and everything, but any suggestions for any good books?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9984 comments Mod
Hi Chris, welcome to the group and the site.

That is not stupid at all. Ask, and yee shall receive.
Here are some of my favorites.

Blindness - Jose Saramago
The Cave - Jose Saramago
The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Third Policeman - Flann Obrien

for starters.;....

message 3: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 90 comments Hi Chris. I'm a newbie too. What kinds of books do you like to read?

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Peel | 37 comments Glad to talk to another newbie Chnatelle, but as for what books I like I have to say I'll try anything. My favourites are 1984 by George Orwell and The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. However I'm really up for anything. How about you?

And I've heard good things about both the Road and the Third Policeman, I'll have to take a closer look at them.

message 5: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments Welcome Chris!!

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Hi Everyone. My name is Sheila and I live in Illinois on the Mississippi River. I am 58, married, mom of 2 , grandma of 2. I very recently retired after 37 years as a respiratory therapist. I am very fortunate that I live only about 2 blocks from our new million $$ library. I have a difficult time reading regular or paperback print so usually order everything either in LP or audio. Our library is in a network with a whole bunch of other libraries so I can usually get what I need delivered to my local libary. I LOVE my library.

I am currently reading 5 books. (My hubby says I am the Queen of Multitasking). I just discovered goodreads this week and have been busy putting in my book list. (I am only up to the C's). Anyway I look forward to meeting you folks and sharing as well.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Welcome Sheila have fun in GR and the next best book club. Our libraries have interchanging also, but you never can depend on when your books will come.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9984 comments Mod
Hi Sheila. thanks for finding us and welcome!!!

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks for the welcome. What does interchanging libraries mean Carol?

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol We have a county library system ,which you can request a book to be sent to your local library closer to home. The down side is so few books sometimes the queue is long. I just put Shanghai Girls on hold and I am no. 145. I will probably break down and buy it.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks, I thought you meant some kind of book exchange here on Goodreads. I think the interlibrary thing is the greatest although I never know how many people are ahead of me and usually every thing comes in at once.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol You know there is a book swap here on goodreads don't you. I have not used it, but others have.

message 13: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) no, I didn't know about the book swap. It wouldn't matter because I never buy books with such a handy library. I would have limited place to store books anyway. There is sure a lot on the goodreads site isn't there. I am still trying to figure it out.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol There are lots of other clubs here also. I belong to three. There is probably a club if you read a specific kind of book or author ie: Jane Austen for one.