Educator Book Club discussion

help remembering a title

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jacky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

jacky When I was doing my student teaching about five years ago at Framingham State College, I had to read two books. One of them was Nancy Atwell's In the Middle. I can't remember the name of the second and it is driving me crazy! I remember that the focus of the book was that reading and discussion should be student driven. What was interesting about the text was that it was ahead of its time because it had been written quite a while ago. I also remember that the author was a women who was teaching either high school or college women. The book discusses the teaching of one book extensively and that book might have been The Awakening, but I'm really not sure. Does anyone know the title or author of this book??

message 2: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Maria Was it Mosaic of Thought?

message 3: by jacky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

jacky I thought that it might be Mosaic of Thought, but when I looked up that book it didn't seem quite right. I don't remember there being challenging paragraphs to read at the beginning of the chapters or chapter summaries. And that book was written in the 90's. The book I read was much older, at least the 70's. I remember being surprised at how ahead of its time it was. A book from 97 would have only been about 6 years old when I read it in college. Thanks though.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Mosaic of Thought does have challenging paragraphs to read at the beginning of the chapters. In fact, I was impressed with the reading level of the whole book. It was far above your average how-to for teachers. It is definitely not about teaching high school or college women. It is about teaching elementary school reading comprehension...but at the same time it actively challenges the teacher's reading comprehension and discusses the authors' own challenges with reading comprehension. It is not about teaching one book extensively.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3 comments Mosaic of thought is an excellent teaching resource book!