Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell discussion

I just started this....who wants to read it too?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Schwartz So far I love this book. It is a historical fiction/fantasy type book set in England in the 1800s. It's really long (thank you, Kindle, for saving my back) - does anyone want to read it with me? I'm on chapter 10.

Rachel Cotterill I finished it a couple of months ago but would be happy to join a discussion :)

alessandra falca Great book! I love it! Susanna wrote another episode please!

Mackenzie Stanley I just finished this book and would also be happy to discuss it. :)

Pamela Is it any good? It has been sitting on my shelf now for a few years, and i'm a little stand offish about reading it

Mackenzie Stanley The book is like if any dickens novel and harry potter had a baby. If you like historical british fiction with magical overtones, you will enjoy this book.

e.c.h.a I love this book..and I agree with Mackenzie

Osvaldo Ortega This book was wonderful, bordering if you will on steam-punk. Excellent stuff. Ill gladly discuss it.

Prince Brilliant book with a tonne of amazing footnotes. One of my all-time favorites.

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike I fully agree with P George, but being a yankee I would note the ton of amazing footnotes. Although I'll swap with him as he did with me and call it one of my favourites.

Alena I really enjoyed this book. Hope she does a sequel.

Hazel Osmond Love this book. One of my favourites of all time. Clever and haunting.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary I tried. I really wanted to like this book. I gave it 250 pages before I finally gave up. I could not get into the main characters and was frankly bored. Did it get any better after 250 pages? I hate to give up on a book.

message 14: by Kal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kal For those of you talking about sequels to this book, there is this book which I believe is set in the same world: The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories.

Speaking of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell though, I feel that it should be mentioned that the book is fairly slow and a little bit difficult to get through. I mean, it's totally awesome and I loved it, but it's not something to read when you're in the mood for an edge-of-your-seat escape-from-reality page-turner.

Susan I loved the book, because if I am in the right mood, I enjoy a long, thick, complicated book. But, I must say that I was tremendously disappointed in the ending. The book is talking about all magic, and in the end it gets down to saving one woman. It is another case of an author having a good idea for a book, but no idea for an ending.

Alena This book was so neat and quirky. It's so different from anything else I've ever read. I also hope she does a sequel. But this one did take her 10 years to write. So it might be a long wait.

Linda I really enjoyed this book - it does move a little slowly in places but the detail is wonderful. I'd enjoy taking part in a discussion about it :)

Alena Just read on the internet that she is doing another book. Taking place a few years after Jonathan Strange.

Susan I don't know if I could make it through another huge book on that subject; not with my disappointment in the ending of the first one.

Karen I liked this book very much, but I did put it down somewhere in the middle to read a fast little historical mystery and a book of short stories.

message 21: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I read it a few years back and still have fond memories. This is one of the few books I think I'd read over again. I loaned it to my neighbor but she's obviously never going to read it--it's been three years or so. Time to reclaim my hardcover.

Barbm1020 I listened to the recorded version of Jonathan Strange... in my car a few years back when I had a job with a long commute. I found it frustrating that nothing much seemed to happen in the story except in a few widely scattered scenes, and I thoroughly wanted to see Mr. Norrell get his come-uppance. It was like a fruit cake with only one or 2 raisins.

Chuck Cannon I listened to the book on CD also during long commutes but I loved it. It's still one of my favorites. Odd, because I tend to get frustrated with long spans of no action, too but this one kept me interested. I'll probably get the sequel. Has anyone read anything else by this author?

message 24: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Cunningham At first the stately pacing and the endless footnotes drove me mad, but sometime during the Kindle sample the sense of humour clicked for me and I enjoyed the book a great deal. It's a very dry British sense of humour and the footnotes are both part of the joke and a joke on you, but she slowly builds a huge alternate history of Britain through them. It took me a month to read it, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

message 25: by Frank (last edited Oct 19, 2011 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Frank Recently read it.... (See me review if interested.)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Hold on for a L O N G ride....!

thewanderingjew Chuck wrote: "I listened to the book on CD also during long commutes but I loved it. It's still one of my favorites. Odd, because I tend to get frustrated with long spans of no action, too but this one kept me..."

I listened to an audio version also, a couple of years ago. I thought the reader was excellent. The story does tend to ramble, and I had to listen to some parts more than once, but I really enjoyed the book.

Karen I read this about five years ago and liked it tremendously. I know she started writing it several years before Harry Potter was first published. As we know, stories of magic in England abound, from the Sword in the Stone to Mary Poppins!

Helen I read this totally unique novel a couple of years ago and I loved it. It is SO funny and dry. Happy to join discussion!

Skirmish i read this 3 years ago. i totally loved this booked!! the first half was a bit of a slow read but it was totally worth reading everything, even the footnotes. i wished the author would make a sequel to this since i'm very curious what happened to both magicians.
her other book the ladies of grace adieu is also good. it's like a supplement to this one

message 31: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Lowenkraft I really enjoyed it too, and I read the footnotes, too just like Skirmish ;-) hope you enjoy it!

Chuck Cannon Lisa wrote: "So far I love this book. It is a historical fiction/fantasy type book set in England in the 1800s. It's really long (thank you, Kindle, for saving my back) - does anyone want to read it with me?..."

So - did you finish it? What are your thoughts?

Donald I finished this book last year and thought it was a great read.

message 34: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will IV Top ten favorite novels.

Jessica Gee I have read it and I love it. It's so immersive! That may not be a word.

message 36: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Yep, great book. So complex and original, and just a great story overall. The short stories in Ladies of Grace Adieu are also good, darkly haunting, though not as absorbing as the novel. But then you could say that about short stories in general compared to novels - different forms, different goals.

Anyway, that's great news that she's working on another. I look forward to reading that!

Helen One of my favourite books ever! Enjoy! I'd read it again with you but have just promised to re-read War and Peace...

Hanis Mary wrote: "I tried. I really wanted to like this book. I gave it 250 pages before I finally gave up. I could not get into the main characters and was frankly bored. Did it get any better after 250 pages? ..."

The style of the book is pretty polarising apparently. Some LOVE it, others swing the other way. So, if you can't love it within the first 250 pages, I doubt it will change much though the pace does pick up in the final third..

Susan I loved the style of the book and was thoroughly disappointed in the ending. A big, long build-up that ends in nothing.

Beth A. Maybe I'll just try it...after I give my to read list a once over look...thank goodness for free sample versions! Its just,I have to admit this would be the first 900 page and up book I've ever read. I want to do it for the challenge as well as the hype. I have a couple books to finish but maybe then.

I have read some that are close but those were ya books so an easier read I am sure...thoughts?