UK Book Club discussion

50 Books in a Year > Fiona's List

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
There have only been 9 weeks of 2010 so far and 50 books a week is 52, meaning one book a week with two weeks off, so you're doing fine :D

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm glad to see you gave Empire of the Sun such a high rating. I am reading it at the moment.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I am enjoying it so far. I was a bit unsure at first but like you said, its a different perspective and unlike any war story i have ever come across. I am on page 128.

Jirinka (sony08) (sony08) Fiona wrote: "Added Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones, my favourite children's/ya author.

I'm now reading The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry and so far, very good. Just wish I was less ti..."

Oh I loved this book - hope you like it!

Jirinka (sony08) (sony08) It was recommeded to me by read it swap it members and when i started reading this I thought oh no - the style was killing me - but once i got through the first 50 pages I starting loving it...

message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
So many books, so little time.....

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
BTW, just added The Secret Scripture to my to-read list, sounds good.

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
Did you know Tim was made into a film in the late 70's with a very young pre-Hollywood Mel Gibson? (Another useless fact dragged from my memory....!)

message 9: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I never new knew that Liz!

message 10: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
I feel the same about Michael Douglas - can't stand him (except in the 'Wonder Boys' - very funny!) 'Tim' is only remarkable for how young Mel Gibson was!!!

However Mel was great in 'The Year of Living Dangerously' & 'Gallipoli' - two great Oz films from the early 80's, well worth watching.

message 11: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Your are an amazing source of triva you know Liz! Shame you're in Singapore, you'd be great in my pub quiz team!

I agree about Wonder Boys - I think it showed how good Michael Douglas can be and also Katie Holmes and the other one Toby something isn't it? Oh yeah... McGuire (I think).

message 12: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
Sign of a mis-spent youth, I fear...I should have got out more!

Came in handy though when I worked as a film programmer - my job involved chosing the films for an independent cinema - great job!

(Love pub quizzes, usually get a little carried away though....)

message 13: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3338 comments Mod
I agree, Brighton Rock is excellent. I haven't read The Quiet American, but I loved both Our Man in Havana and The Human Factor

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene is also a good book too.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 177 comments Fiona wrote: "Victory! Finished The First Man in Rome!"

Well done!! What did you think of it? I nearly got it out from library but wasn't quite sure if I would like it

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo Looking forward to your thoughts on that one!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Good to hear!

message 18: by AlexEatsBooks (new)

AlexEatsBooks (modernalexandrian) Oh I loved After Dark - Definitely up there on my favs list with Kafka and Wind-up :)

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo Ooo i need to get it now. Damn the book buying ban!

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo I am leaning towards resisting. Probably more to spite you than anything :)

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo I know! I never thought i could ever last this long. It's getting easier if anything.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo I just keep thinking I can't afford it, I can't afford it. I really can't!

message 23: by AlexEatsBooks (new)

AlexEatsBooks (modernalexandrian) Time of the Ghost, is that one of Diana's adult fiction? I've only read a few of her younger fiction books - I love them!

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo Ooo i want to re-read Harry Potter. Way too many other books to read first though :/

message 25: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I like the sound of re-reading them too - I think Christmas hols might be a good time for me. They're not too heavy going and that time of years always gets very busy!

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo I miss them :(. I do read more than one book at a time so maybe i could have one Harry Potter book and one unread book going at once. Hmm...

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments I have just gone through the Harry Potter series again on audio cd. Mostly while travelling in the car to and from shopping or work. They are so good no matter how many times you read/listen to them.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo I have never re-read a book before. I really want to re-read the Harry Potter series and (don't judge me!!) the Twilight books. There are a few others too. I probably will because i have read a few books lately that i have put back because i'm not in the mood or they just weren't my cup of tea. Might as well read something i know i will enjoy!

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo Guilty! I was never much of a reader when i was at school which is when all the books came out. I didn't become really into reading until a couple of years ago. But it's only right that they are my first re-reads as they were the first books i loved. It will be interesting to see how much i pick up on that i missed before.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol as long as you enjoyed it then that's all that matters. I'm looking forward to getting lost in the Harry Potter world again. I miss that place.

message 31: by AlexEatsBooks (new)

AlexEatsBooks (modernalexandrian) Oh, what a wonderful idea! I'm planning a big HP re-read in October (before the first part of the last movie is released) - I do miss them...
I suppose the only good thing about my horrid memory is the fact that I can re-read books almost as if it's the first time! *laughs*

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol the music is a great idea! I can just imagine you sitting there reading the books while the music plays having a big smile on your face!

message 33: by Robo (new)

Robo Pete (robopete) | 98 comments There must be some sort of subliminal epidemic going on - I've been toying with the idea of re-reading Harry Potter also! Been having serious Hogwarts nostalgia this week for some reason

message 34: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Is it the beginning of the end now they're onto the last installments of the films? Wonder what, if anything J.K. Rowling will come up with next...

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo She has to be under so much pressure! Did anyone read that beadle and bard thing?

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo I have only read the Harry Potter books. I don't want to read anything else by her and be disappointed.

message 37: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I think she may be wise to write under another name initially then she can tell people if they're successful and not, if not! It'll be hard to come up with something as fondly thought of as Harry Potter.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments Confessions of a Harry Potter lover - I have read Beadle the Bard and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them!

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo I think she would be better off doing adult fiction.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 177 comments I remember when I got hold of Azkaban from charity shop and was feeling very pleased with myself as it had only just come out, was halfway through it and 20 pages were missing! aargghh!!! Had to walk straight to the book shop - half an hour walk - and buy a new copy!

message 41: by Robo (new)

Robo Pete (robopete) | 98 comments Lynne wrote: "Confessions of a Harry Potter lover - I have read Beadle the Bard and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them!"

I was actually just looking at Beadle the Bard in The Works, of all places, the other day. It was pretty cheap but I just wasn't sure whether to get it or not. Decided against it in the end...mistake?

message 42: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I have read it and I thought it was OK, didn't inspire me that much but did occupy for an hour and half car journey (no, I wasn't driving!)

message 43: by Jo (new)

Jo Bet it was worth it!

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo I got that feeling a bit when i finished it the first time. I want to re-read them soon.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments The Harry Potter series is one of my all time faves so I listen to them regularly in the car when going on a long drive.