Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Dare You To Read Challenge > Dare You To Read Challenges Instructions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2011 11:54PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Ever wanted to read something but didn't feel like doing it alone? Thought of a crazy challenge but feel like it didn't fit the usual offering in the group? Just want to do a group read with a few interested folks?

Anybody can start a thread with a dare, either to read a specific book, an author or a genre. Anybody can sign up if they would like to accept the dare. The thread starter should post the time-limit when the dare will be completed. Participants will use the specific thread to discuss the book, author or genre.

Get your ideas together, put up the dare, and see who will bite.

Furthermore, our lovely moderator Rossy will be putting up official 'dares' for the group. So, if you feel you have what it takes to tackle it, stay tuned and sign up.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Since there have been a significant increase of buddy reads threads, I've created an Archives folder specifically for buddy reads. If you and your group are done with your buddy reads, please feel free to transfer it into the archives folder, so we will just keep current/active buddy threads in this folder.

message 2: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Alexis wrote: "I really want to do this, but I'm not sure what to dare...hmmm. This is intriguing!"

Try to use a book or author you'll be starting within a week. Since sometimes our moods change and we may change our minds about starting a certain book right away.

message 3: by Gigi (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:42AM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Can we do one for whitney, my love? The controversial "love" scene depending on the book you're reading

message 4: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments I mean the version, older vs. newer

message 5: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Gigi wrote: "Can we do one for whitney, my love? The controversial "love" or "rape" scene depending on the book you're reading"

I was just about to mention it on the thread the book was first mentioned. Go ahead and make a dare on whatever topic you wish to discuss on it. The way i think, if someone doesn't like the discussion or topic they can just skip it.

message 6: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Gigi wrote: "I mean the version, older vs. newer"

What is the difference between the new version vs. the old? Was the new version edited?

message 7: by Gigi (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:45AM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Rossy wrote: "Gigi wrote: "I mean the version, older vs. newer"

What is the difference between the new version vs. the old? Was the new version edited?"

Well, she rewrote a scene that was in the 1985 original version in 1999 because of some backlash she received. So, any version from 1999 and after I believe is the rewritten (tamer) version of that "love" scene.

message 8: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Gigi wrote: "Well, she rewrote a scene that was in the original version because of some backlash she received. So, any version after 2000 or 2006 I believe is the rewritten (tamer) version of that "love" scene."

In that case, why not just make a dare on the book itself not the versions. Anyone who will like to read either or both versions can discuss it. Perhaps if there's someone who has read the first version, they can discuss wich one they liked better and why. Does that help?

Great, now am curious about the book and i don't even read historicals.LOL

message 9: by Gigi (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:37AM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments LOL!!! You should join! Rossy, you are the best. I've been sitting here for like 15 mins trying to figure out how to discuss both versions if some people only have one. LOL

3 hours sleep + work = a really bad day tomorrow. LOL

message 10: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Basically the controversy comes down to whether a particular "love scene" was more of a rape than a love scene.

message 11: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Gigi wrote: "Basically the controversy comes down to whether a particular "love scene" was more of a rape than a love scene."

More than likely i'll think of it as a love scene more than a "rape scene". For some reason i can understand what the authors meant when they make a hero very posessive. Yet i can't understand a too independent heroine. I think a psychiatrist would have a field day with me!

message 12: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments I'm sure I'll agree with you and my psychiatrist appointment will be right after yours! LOL I'm dying to get my book to see what the fuss is about.

message 13: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Shoot it seems i was only able to get one of the newer versions. If i like it i'll have to dig up and find an old one and compare.

message 14: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments noooo....go to alibris.com. Well, that was where I got mine unless they lied to me. LOL

message 15: by Gigi (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:03AM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Rossy, Whitney My Love--use this link and look for this isbn number

message 16: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Ok am getting it really cheap from amazon.

message 17: by Ronica (last edited Mar 04, 2010 02:24AM) (new)

Ronica (romancenut) I just looked it up on amazon, they only have the newer version available. Is it really 736 pages long?

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 04, 2010 02:35AM) (new)

Ronica said I just looked it up on amazon, they only have the newer version available. Is it really 736 pages long?

I have a older copy of this book and its only about 500 to 550 pages. I know its been re-issued a ton of times so the updated version might be longer.

message 19: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (romancenut) Ok, I'm thinking of ordering it next week. I'm also going to check the library.

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) Do we put our dares here or start a new topic?

message 21: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:29AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Katherine wrote: "Do we put our dares here or start a new topic?"

Start a new thread or topic in this folder.

message 22: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments Random question - is it okay if we start a Dare for an urban fantasy series? I know it has some romance, but it's not categorized as a paranormal romance.

message 23: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments The Dare pretty much can be about any series, author or book you want. It does not have to be just related to Romance.

message 24: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 2102 comments Does the dare have to be a specific author, or series, or genre? Or can it be like one of the quarterly challenges where the categories include different books, authors, and genres?

message 25: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Well is there a theme to the books?

message 26: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 2102 comments Rossy wrote: "Well is there a theme to the books?"

Yes, they are just like the "game" challenge I suggested for the current quarterly challenge. One is based on Zodiac signs, another is based on cars, another is based on football. It's not a big deal if they wont work in this thread. I'll just keep slowly posting the ideas in the "challenge suggestions" thread and if Yz can use them then great!

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Valorie wrote:Yes, they are just like the "game" challenge I suggested for the current quarterly challenge. One is based on Zodiac signs, another is based on cars, another is based on football. It's not a big deal if they wont work in this thread. I'll just keep slowly posting the ideas in the "challenge suggestions" thread and if Yz can use them then great!
.."

Well, the the Dare You To Read folder is originally designed for buddy reads or group reads, so it is more discussion oriented rather than simply listing books completed for a challenge.

So if you want to host a dare, you are ready to be like a discussion leader.

Btw, Valorie, I love your challenge ideas, and I'm planning to use them for the next quarterly challenge. I might make you my go-to girl for the quarterly ideas. : )

message 28: by Valorie (last edited Jul 30, 2010 08:57PM) (new)

Valorie  | 2102 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Valorie wrote:Yes, they are just like the "game" challenge I suggested for the current quarterly challenge. One is based on Zodiac signs, another is based on cars, another is based on football. It..."

Cool, I'll just save them and suggest them in the "challenge suggestion thread". Let me know if you need any ideas though! I'm planning I posting my football idea because pro football season officially starts Sept 9! Yay! I'm a huge football fan!
Thanks Yz!

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Valorie wrote: Cool, I'll just save them and suggest them in the "challenge suggestion thread". Let me know if you need any ideas though! I'm planning I posting my football idea because pro football season officially starts Sept 9! Yay! I'm a huge football fan!
Thanks Yz! "

That sounds great, Valorie.

I would suggest posting it in the Other Challenges folder, with AwesomeVegan's Books-to-Movies Challenge and D.G.'s Covers, Covers, Covers Challenge are.

After all, with most of us being challenge junkies, we are always on the lookout for our next fix. : 0

message 30: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2011 05:38PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments ANNOUNCEMENT: Since there have been a significant increase of buddy reads threads, I've created a Archives folder specifically for buddy reads. If you and your partner/group are done with your buddy reads, please feel free to transfer it into the archives folder, so we will just keep current/active buddy threads in this folder.