Writing Passionates discussion

Been there, read that

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.S. (new)

S.S. (ssrice) | 22 comments What would cause you to pick up a Fantasy book that's really, really been done before? (Vamps, Weres, Fae, Quest)

The cover? The first paragraph? The blurb?

message 2: by Madeline (new)

Madeline not to look like the idiot child but... i dont understand what you mean...

message 3: by S.S. (new)

S.S. (ssrice) | 22 comments OK, in a bookstore, would you pick up another vampire, hero quest or wolf story?

message 4: by Madeline (new)

Madeline not a wolf story probably but maybe a vamp or hero story, i have a lot of those

message 5: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I wouldn't pick up any of those books, to be honest. Instead, I'd explore some realistic fiction, or less typical fantasy.

Although, if it had an interesting cover, it might catch my eye, then I'd see the title, then I'd look at the back/book jacket flap and read the blurb. If that doesn't make it sound like a story that I'd enjoy reading, then I'll put it back. That applies to genres other than fantasy, though.

message 6: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I like interesting covers, titles, and descriptions. Something has to really catch my eye for me to stop and take a look at it.

message 7: by S.S. (new)

S.S. (ssrice) | 22 comments Great comments. Thanks everyone!

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Guess I'm a little late on this, but just for future reference ... There are a lot of vampire/werewolf/faerie books out there these days, so it's hard to single out the good ones. A lot of them are just repeats of each other and rely on clichés. For me, what makes a good fantasy book stand out is an original writing style and/or a compelling voice, and some really developed characters.

message 9: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Roni wrote: "I wouldn't pick up any of those books, to be honest. Instead, I'd explore some realistic fiction, or less typical fantasy.

Although, if it had an interesting cover, it might catch my eye, then I'..."

Same here. I steer clear of vampire/werewolves, and heroes are a bit overdone. I prefer realistic fiction and more sci-fi-ish fantasy.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 6 comments I look at the title and (don't say that famous proverb, please!) the cover of the book.

message 11: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) haha it's ok, I sometimes judge books by their covers. Usually I pick up a book because it has an interesting cover, but I don't reject a book because it has an ugly one.

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

I totally judge books by their covers. Not gonna lie. :D

message 13: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Haha, me too. The covers are there for a reason! They're there to attract a specific sort of audience.

For instance, I won't even pick up a book that has a cover with a picture of a just a girl who has perfect hair and features and may or may not be fully clothed, and may or may not be with a man. Combine that with a potentially raunchy title, and I run in the other direction. However, why I would be near the shelves with trashy "romance" novels is anyone's guess. Maybe I would be buying a present? Although, I would probably try to improve somebody's taste rather than just get them what they want.

However, covers that are typically darker in color and/or are fairly plain with a scraggly sort of font make me go "oooh, which drug is THIS one about?" (Ellen Hopkins, anyone?) I kid, but I must admit that those sorts of story are more fascinating to me. Why? Maybe it's because I know I'll experience romance someday and have no particular desire for it at the moment, but I doubt I will ever know the life portrayed in those books.

message 14: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Speaking of Ellen Hopkins...
I picked up Crank in the summer after 7th grade (yes, because it had a unique cover), and all I remember about it was being horrified and not really wanting to read more, but curious about what happened in the end. I feel like a major reason I didn't like that book was because I was too young and overwhelmed when I read it. I think I'll pick up another Ellen Hopkins book soon. They're so poetic and they make such ugly things beautiful in the end.

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

I didn't like Crank. Mehhh. Not a big fan of the "book written in poetry" thing. I haven't read her other books, though.

message 16: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I thought it was a really interesting way to write. I'm sure I wouldn't have even finished it if it wasn't written in verse.
I haven't read any of her other books yet, but I think I might try one soon. Hopefully I don't run screaming at the horror of it all like I almost did last time :)

message 17: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Well, that's the thing. The only original thing about it was the way in which it was written. Other than that it was just another one of those "good girl's life spirals downward when she turns to drugs" stories, and I didn't find the main character very interesting. It was like reading Go Ask Alice in poetry form. *sigh* Maybe her other books have more original plots? I don't know. I thought that Identical book looked interesting.