Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How's your attention span?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments How's your attention span?

My attention span is pretty good while reading, but in some situations my attention span plummets like a five year old watching the Ice Capades.

These situations include:

* boring meetings, where I will often fake a phone call or important other event and get the hell out,
* boring movies, which I will fast forward with the closed caption running and watch in, oh, forty-five minutes,
* Other similar scenarios.

You?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i seem to have a short attention span for listening to other people's stories. i know, how selfish of me. it is just that when someone begins to tell me something and adds way to much detail i start feeling like a captured raccoon and am internally pacing back and forth in the cage nervously. you want to just blurt out "ok, ok, get to the important part!!"

"so joyce and i went to dinner the other night. we left the house at 6. well...maybe it was 5:50...no, it was def 6 because at 5:45 joyce's sister elaine called...i think it was elaine but it may have been her sister in law cindy...you know cindy? she is married to tom who works for duke energy. they used to be PSI and then cinergy and then they got bought out by duke energy. he was a lineman but he got hurt out there while working during the ice storm of '98. did you lose power then? we did for about 4 days, we lived out on.........."

[meanwhile i am looking for a razor blade:]

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am notorious, Kevin, for backing away slowly when people are telling me boring stories.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I had a patient the other night...oh my God...he was a very nice man and I get the "why" of it, but he started talking and I ended up being trapped in his room for 35 minutes listening to him ramble about his peri-transplant experience. He kept saying "So, to make a long story short..." and I kept thinking "WOULDYA?? Please??" Luckiy I swiftly developed a technique after that for escaping gracefully but I really thought I was gonna die that first time.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) OOH! SQUIRRELS!!!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I don't understand, Gus, why are you

Hey, is that a pony??

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments is it my short attention span or does this not make sense?

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Does what not make sense, Janine?

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments squirrels & ponies.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Huh?

BOOBIES!!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

She's got Legs!

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
Facebook!

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori What were we talking about?

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments How's my what, now?

::sees shiny object to the side::

Ooooh!

message 15: by Heidi (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:48PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments A friend of mine calls me "Magpheidi" sometimes because I've been known to get distracted by pretty stuff mid-conversation. I've done it several times with her.

message 16: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I like chocolate cake.
Um, which thread are we on now?

Yesterday my daughter stayed home from school with a bad cough. She was adeptly convincing me last night that she needed to stay home again today, just a touch of classic femme fatale drama with a deathly cough thrown in, when the Alice in Wonderland trailer came on TV and she promptly jumped up and down repeatedly yelling "I wanna see that! I wanna see that! Mom? Can we go see it?"

Then she realized she was supposed to still be sick and did a dive back to the couch to resume the morbid cough and pasty palor. She practically lifted the back of her hand to her forehead.

I couldn't help it, I laughed my ass off at her. It's a good thing she actually had a fever today or her butt would have been at school simply for over-acting.

message 17: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments My attention span rivals that of a squirrel. Or that dog from Up.

And I totally agree with Kevin about these stories that people sometimes tell with 800 extraneous details. Please just tell me the story!