Armchair Sailors discussion

Books > Robert Macomber

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Whalen | 3 comments I've been living in FL for a few years and just discovered Macomber. see: http://www.robertmacomber.com/

Great historical novels. The early ones deal with the East Gulf Blockade Squadron. Good technical sailing descriptions.

message 2: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 40 comments What kind of times are the books set in ?

How is the characters ?

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Whalen | 3 comments That would be the blockade during the Civil War (1860's).

The main character Peter Wake is well developed, acts like an officer and has a sense of humor. The historical development is very good and well documented.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric (egill1) | 2 comments Bill, thatnks for the recommendation. I've ordered the first book from my local library. I look forward to reading it. Eric

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 40 comments Thanks for the recommendation i have been looking for more books like this.

message 6: by David (last edited Mar 06, 2010 07:56AM) (new)

David (astrodene) | 3 comments Mohammed wrote: "i have been looking for more books like this."
You will find a lot more listed at historicnavalfiction.com

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 40 comments Nice i want to read more quality naval fiction. I dont want to be limited to greats like Forrester.

You dont have to be that great.