2009-2010 discussion

Classic Books > Native Son

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Keon (new)

Keon Sims | 12 comments On p.263, what do you think of the dialouge of the preacher who is praying for Bigger?His words were hard to read because of his knowledge of the language.Like when he would say,"Lawd" instead of Lord.What I found kinda funny was that his vocbaulary and dialect had less varitey than that of Bigger--who dropped out of the eighth grade.What do you think?

message 2: by Fatouma (new)

Fatouma | 15 comments Throughout the book when Max is telling Bigger not to give up and that he still has a chance. I remember during one part he was asking Bigger questions which was when he was in jail and wanted to find out how he felt. Bigger tried to ecplain to him how he felt his whole life never getting to do anything. How one time he wanted to be in the military and they wouldnt let black people go to military school. They would find a way so that the blacks couldnt have a chance like having the schools on the northside which is were blacks weren't allowed. Max tried his best to reassure him everything would be alright. Although Bigger had already given up. What do you think about Bigger having a chance to make a difference in some kind of way towards equality?

message 3: by Kavaughn (new)

Kavaughn | 12 comments How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?

message 4: by Iria (new)

Iria | 14 comments Keon said: "What I found kinda funny was that his vocbaulary and dialect had less varitey than that of Bigger--who dropped out of the eighth grade."

I also noticed that the preachers dialect was a little hard to read because of the southern accent. It was a good point for Keon to point out the fact that Bigger spoke better than that of the precher, and Bigger only recieved education up until the eight grade. Bigger's grammar wasnt perfect but he spoke better than his mother and the preacher. Does the age of the character have something to do with the ability to use correct grammar, being that the precher and Bigger's mother are up in age?

message 5: by Iria (new)

Iria | 14 comments As i started to analyze the main character,Bigger, i realized that he has quite a few issues. Anytime someone would challenge or question him in any way he would immediately hate them or want to cause bodily harm to make them stop. For example on page 58 when he first meets Mary. She asks him about him being in the union and inside he suddenly hates her for asking questions like that while he is trying to get a job. What do you think about Bigger's anger managment issues?

message 6: by Keon (last edited Mar 03, 2010 04:51PM) (new)

Keon Sims | 12 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?"

I think that Bigger is crazy, but at the same time sane in a way.From his POV he understands what he is doing and makes it seem logical.True from our perspective he is crazy,but from his POV, he makes his actions rational by saying that other people are "blind" and that he is seeing the world for what it truly is.So Bigger would be deemed crazy in our world, however in his, his actions are natural and logical.

message 7: by Marquis (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Marquis Williams | 12 comments 13. If you could change the story, how would you change it?

If I could change the story, I would make the main character white because many people discriminated black people too much back then. A white person could have made the same mistake but it wouldn't make a big deal to people back then. Do you think a white man would confess to what he did?

message 8: by Shanel (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

Shanel | 10 comments Question: Analyze what motivates the main character’s behavior.

I think fear motivzates Bigger's behavior. He puts on a false personality and behaves as if he does not care about anything in the world. In their plan to rob an old white man's shop Bigger talks big as if he's not concerned of what could happen if the plan didn't go well. He states, "He hated Gus because he knew that Gus was afraid, as even he was; he had transferred his fear of whites to Gus (Wright 27)." Bigger was one to act on an impulse and use little judgement. Do you think that acting on an impulse can benefit Bigger or harm him in the long run?

message 9: by Marquis (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:42AM) (new)

Marquis Williams | 12 comments 3. Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship.

Bigger would not be worthy of my friendship. He is too aggressive and tries to take control over things. Bigger seems like he would be a bad influence on me. For example, he is always smoking and that smell would just get on my nerves. He treats his mom like she is one of his friends--and he treats them like dirt sometimes--meaning that he has no respect for anyone. "You see, Bigger, you the cause of all the trouble we ever have. It's your hot temper...."(Wright 28). Would you have been bold enough to tell Bigger off, not knowing what he would do to you if he would have gotten mad?

message 10: by Shanel (new)

Shanel | 10 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?"

I don't that Bigger is really crazy I just think that he is fearful and confused about his life. I think deep down he really wants to become the man his mother wants him to be but he lets society lead his life. He says he poor because all blacks are suppose to be poor and all whites are suppose to be rich and living well.

message 11: by Kendrick (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Kendrick Hawkins | 1 comments Marquis wrote: If I could change the story, I would make the main character white because many people discriminated black people too much back then. A white person could have made the same mistake but it wouldn't make a big deal to people back then.

I WOULD CHANGE THE STORY ON HOW THE MAIN CHARACTERS COULD DEAL WITH THE PEER PRESSURE THEY GO THROUGH. CAUSE BIGGER GOES THROUGH LOT SMOKING, DROPPING OUT OF SCHOOL ....

message 12: by Sternadia (new)

Sternadia Brown | 7 comments Write about how one character feels. Write about a time you felt that way, too.

I feel that Bessie felt a little nervous about the whole murder situation that bigger told her. She was unsure to be with him or not. To me, I felt Bessie wanted to be by his side but at the same time she didn't want to get caught up.
It was a time in my life when this type of situation happen to me. It was a time when my friend wanted me to go rob this store with her. I was hesitant if i wanted to go because I was too scared that we was going to get caught. I wanted to go because I didn't want her to think I was a punk but at the same time I was scared for my life. Even though I didn't go she still didn't caught.

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Question:Discuss what moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel.

I think one of the life lessons in this novel is don't follow the crowd just to seem cool. On page 26 and 27 Bigger and his friends are talking about robbing Blum's store. Bigger was afraid to rob Blum's store because Blum was white. But he didn't want his friends to know so he agreed to do it and the only person who didn't agree right away was Gus because he was also afraid. So Bigger was hoping that Gus would say no so they didn't have to do it, but Gus said yes. So Bigger was worried and when it was time for Bigger and his friends to meet up at Doc's poolhall Gus was late. Since Gus was late Bigger started a fight with him so they wouldn't have to rob the store. I think Bigger should've just told his friends that he didn't want to do it. And if they were real friends they would've respected his descion and he wouldn't have to do it. Do you think if Bigger would've told his friends that he didn't want to do it, they would've understood? How do you think they would've reacted?

message 14: by Shanel (new)

Shanel | 10 comments Marquis wrote: "3. Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship.

No I agree Bigger would not be worhty of my frienship but I don't think that makes him a bad person. He has to take on alot with trying to support his family and have his on separate life to live. The fact that he grew up with no father and is poor does not help the situation either. He constantly compares himself to white boys which damages his mindset of life even more. If Bigger was to expand his thoughts about other things other then race I think he would become a great friend.

message 15: by Marquis (new)

Marquis Williams | 12 comments 11. Write about how one character feels. Write about a time you felt that way, too.

It was a time in the story when Bigger felt that he was being pressured too much by his mother and he just couldn't take it anymore.

It was a time that my mother was pressuring me too much. She kept telling me that i needed to keep working on what i had to complete at the time and I felt that since I had plenty of time to complete it, I didn't need to finish it right away. She then isolated me from everything else that I wanted to do. I finally listened to her and completed my task. Should I have listened to her the first time?

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Shanel wrote:"I think fear motivzates Bigger's behavior. He puts on a false personality and behaves as if he does not care about anything in the world. In their plan to rob an old white man's shop Bigger talks big as if he's not concerned of what could happen if the plan didn't go well. He states, "He hated Gus because he knew that Gus was afraid, as even he was; he had transferred his fear of whites to Gus (Wright 27)." Bigger was one to act on an impulse and use little judgement. Do you think that acting on an impulse can benefit Bigger or harm him in the long run?"

I think Bigger acting on an impluse could harm him in the long run. Because he won't think about what he is about to do and he could slip up and make a mistake. For example when Mrs. Dalton walked into Mary's room and he was in there, he didn't want her to know she was in there so he put the pillow over Mary's face so Mrs.Dalton wouldn't hear her. He didn't think that Mary would suffocate under the pillow. But she did and she ended up dying.

message 17: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 13 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?"

I dont really know what the author was thinking when hecame up with the name but it kind of fits for Bigger's role in the book. In my opinion i think Bigger is a absolute lunatic but at the same time he has his reasons for doing the things that he does.

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 13 comments Discuss what images appear in your mind as you read & how the author helped create those images

As i read this book i see alot of images. Forexample everytime Bigger is mentioned i think of a big black guy thats just really demanding and sort of like "the boss of everyone." The author helped as describing Bigger so in detail as he did. such as he describes that Bigger lives in poverty with his family and is a trouble maker and to make it worse Bigger also lives in a racist society where white people despise black people too.

message 19: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 13 comments nicole wrote :Discuss what moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel.

The moral or life lesson in this book is not to run away from your problems is only makes it worse and cause more problems for your life that are not needed so face your problems and get over it.

message 20: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments Iria wrote:"What do you think about Bigger's anger management issues?"

I think Bigger's anger does not get him anywhere but into trouble. For example he had a fear of robbing Blum's store, so to get out of it he picked a fight with his best friend Gus (Wright 41-44)and that led to Gus hating him, Doc kicking him out, and Bigger wasting everyones time. I also think his anger comes from his pride issues,as with the situation he choose to loose a friend than to let his 'boys' think he was scared of robbing a white man.

message 21: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments Marquis wrote: "13. If you could change the story, how would you change it?"

If I could change the story, I would take out most of the profanity, and I would also have Miss. Dalton stick around a little longer, because I think she could had contributed and had an effect on Bigger's actions, and the way he did things, and with her sticking around longer the plot could have been built more. The last thing I would change is all the detail Richard Wright gave, to me some of the detail was unneccessary but some of it did add to the book and how he was allowing you to paint an actual picture in your mind of whats exactly going on.

message 22: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Coppage | 10 comments 9. Analyze how your feelings change as you read this story and why.

As I started book one, I discovered Bigger was the main character, who seemed to be a dreamful, "black" young man who just needed a break. When Bigger merdered Mary, the Dalton's daughter, it made me feel suprised and horrified. Being only on page 180, I feel after the murder, Bigger got crazier and crazier. After all, he didn't mean to kill Mary. Son in conclusion, my feelings toward Bigger changed from the beggining of the book from feeling sorry for him to actually wanting him to get out in jail.

message 23: by Keon (last edited Mar 04, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Keon Sims | 12 comments Marquis wrote: "3. Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship.

I think Bigger needs a friend so yes I would extend friendship to him if he wanted it.Bigger has alot of stress and mental problems so he would be angry but friends make a huge different.When i first came to Chamblee I was very anti-social because of my last school and I was new.Then, one of my current friends, came up to me like the third day and said,"We're gonna be best friends." I nearly cried when that happened and now I have so many friends I can't even count them all.What I'm saying is that when people open up to you, it can do wonders for your mental and physical health and thats what Bigger needs.So to restate my previous statement, yes i would be friends with Bigger if he wanted it.

message 24: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments Ms. Miller wrote: "POSSIBLE TOPIC"-Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship."

The main character,Bigger Thomas,would not deserve my friendship. From reading this book I see that Bigger is better off being a loner, I see that anybody that wants to get close to Bigger do not last long. Mary and Jan really wanted to be his friend but because of that Mary ended up dead and Jan was framed by Bigger. Gus was a loyal friend but that was not enough for Bigger he had to go crazy a make Gus hate him. He wouldn't deserve my friendship because I don't want to end up like everyone else who wanted to be his friend.

message 25: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments I was proud of Bigger Thomas for getting the job working as the Dalton's family chauffeur, I was sure he was going to do good and keep the job as long as Green--the previous chauffeur--did, but as I kept reading I found out I was wrong. On Bigger's first assignment he messed up by getting drunk. What really upset me was when i read that he was aware what he planned on doing(Wright 84-89). What do you think about Bigger's choice to get drunk and not being responsible in the situation?

message 26: by Delicia (new)

Delicia Bell | 14 comments Ms.Miller wrote:Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship.

Personally I don't think he would worthy of my friendship.Bigger is not real when I say that I mean his feelings are fake. In the book Bigger beats up Gus and threatens the cut his belly button out. After all that it stated his thoughts, "He hoped the fight he had with Gus covered up what he was trying to hide."(pg.46 Wright)

message 27: by Delicia (new)

Delicia Bell | 14 comments Ms. Miller wrote : Analyze how your feelings change as you read this story and why.

When I first start reading the book i felt confused because he was disrespectful to his mother.For example " So he held toward them an attitude of iron reserve;but behind a wall,a curtain."(pg.9 Wright)Then I started to get excited because he was turning his life around by getting a job and a good job too.All of sudden he started acted stupid and as I got further in the story he just made me mad.when he accidentally smothered her ."Again Mary's body heaved and he held the pillow in a grip that took all of his strength."(pg.98 Wright)

message 28: by Kierra (new)

Kierra Jackson | 11 comments Number six: what images appeared in my head as I read.. The part when they were in the room and they were in the dark and she was trying to take her clothes off and he could see her I pictured that as a dark room kind of blurry !

message 29: by Kierra (new)

Kierra Jackson | 11 comments Number six: what images appeared in my head as I read.. The part when they were in the room and they were in the dark and she was trying to take her clothes off and he could see her I pictured that as a dark room kind of blurry !

message 30: by Delicia (new)

Delicia Bell | 14 comments When Bigger accidentally smothered Ms. Dalton in the book. He took her and burned her in the furnace. What is your opinion on the situation? and What would you do if you were Bigger?

message 31: by Kierra (new)

Kierra Jackson | 11 comments Number 4: The kind of reader I think would enjoy this book us a very engaged reader a reader that wouldn't out the book down he knew something exciting was going too happen native son is a very intense book and I personally think an engaged and dedicated reader!!!

message 32: by Delicia (new)

Delicia Bell | 14 comments Nicole wrote: "Question:Discuss what moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel.

Delicia wrote: Bigger had more problems than fear but, also anger took control of him. The main lesson you can learn is to not to let your feelings take over you. If you feel sad, mad, angry show it. In the end if you keep your feelings bottled up it can turn out controlling you and sooner than you know you don't know who you are.

message 33: by Udeozo (new)

Udeozo | 8 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?"

Personally I think Bigger has a lot on his plate; his family is pour and he is honestly confused about life and what he wants to do. He tries to act hard and like stuff doesn't hurt him for a cover up of how confused he is. I think deep down inside his behaviour scares himself at times. Does Bigger need a friend; yes he does, but he needs a friend who is going to be straight forward with him and tell him what's up so he can get it together.

message 34: by Iria (new)

Iria | 14 comments Marquis wrote: "If I could change the story, I would make the main character white because many people discriminated black people too much back then."

I agree with Marquis that black ppl were discriminated against years ago, although I would have to disagree on changing the main character to a white man. If the main character was changed to a white man it would take away from the true essence of the book. The main points or main theme that Richard Wright was trying to display would tottaly be changed. The story has a much more deeper meaning with a black man as the main character.

message 35: by Udeozo (last edited Mar 04, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Udeozo | 8 comments nicole wrote :Discuss what moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel.

The life lesson I got from the book was not to run away from things. You can find yourself doing some crazy things if you try to run away and not just face them head on with faith knowing that if you trust you can get through it. It always won't be easy but it can be a lot EASIER if you don't run. Bigger's home situation wasn't the best but he could have worked through it if he didn't try to get away from it all. He probably could have avoided wanting to slaughter those women then getting caught after he did it if he just handled it all head on.

message 36: by Delicia (new)

Delicia Bell | 14 comments Marquis wrote: Write about how one character feels. Write about a time you felt that way, too.

Delicia wrote: At times Bigger goes and hangs out with his friends. They seem to get in lots of trouble when they are together.So I guess he feels pressured to hang with them feeling he's going to loose them.Sometimes I feel pressured to hang with one of my closest friends because I don't want to loose her and we always have fun. But, it seems every time we get together we get in big trouble it's kind of what Bigger is going through.

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments This book is a trip for me. As I read this book more and more stuff just keep happening and Bigger seems smart but dumb at the same time. He should have just left Bessie alone instead of killing her.

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Marquis wrote:Write about how one character feels. Write about a time you felt that way, too.

When Bigger was walking in the white neighborhood, he was scared and uncomfortable. Well I feel like this sometimes when I'm walking down the street to my house in my neighborhood because it's always too quiet. My neighborhood used to have only black people living in it and everybody knew everybody and it was always loud and i felt comfortable walking up and down the street anytime of the day or night. But know since the rich white and black people have moved in and most of the people who used to live in my neighborhood have moved out the neighborhood is too quiet and i don't feel safe walking up and down the street at night like I used to.

message 39: by Udeozo (new)

Udeozo | 8 comments When Bigger said he didn't want to kill but he didn't know what he killed for what thoughts went through your head? How was your mood at that end?

message 40: by Taliyah (last edited Mar 05, 2010 06:07PM) (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?

Answer: I really not sure but I think the author had some type of experience with the character Bigger Thomas. Weather it was himself one point in time or someone he knew.

message 41: by Kavaughn (new)

Kavaughn | 12 comments "Marquis wrote: "13. If you could change the story, how would you change it?"

I would make the book more simplified than it is. The book is way too detailed and sometimes gets a little boring. And this book coyuld have beem condensed to at least 3000 pages.

message 42: by Roman (new)

Roman | 6 comments How do you think Bigger's attitude towards his Mother and his Family influnces his violent behavior?

message 43: by Roman (new)

Roman | 6 comments Kavaughn wrote: "How do you think the author came up with the character Bigger Thomas? Bigger seems really really crazy though. What are your thoughts on him?

Bigger is like a few people I know who seem crazy to the people around them. To me it seems like he is desprate to get more out of life so he does crazy things to get some type of rush.

message 44: by Roman (new)

Roman | 6 comments nicole wrote :Discuss what moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel.

I think the book teaches you to have self control. Bigger didnt show any self control and ended up in jail. He let his bad situation influemce his behavior and he seems angry through out the whole book. So keeping your anger and having self control are to life lessons I learned.

message 45: by Kavaughn (new)

Kavaughn | 12 comments Delicia wrote: "When Bigger accidentally smothered Ms. Dalton in the book. He took her and burned her in the furnace. What is your opinion on the situation? and What would you do if you were Bigger?"

My opinion is that he was dumb for what he did. The death was accidental meaning that is was accident. He could have handled it in a different way. He was just scared and didnt know what to do. Bu that doesnt mean you take somebodys body put them in the furnace and hack there head off. I would not have pushed somebodys head in the pillow anyway.

message 46: by Kavaughn (new)

Kavaughn | 12 comments Bigger was always mad at the world in the book. He made some dumb decisions in his life.He also was disrespectful and mean to his family. Do you think Bigger could have been a better person than he was? Or was he just mislead or misunderstood?

message 47: by Kavaughn (new)

Kavaughn | 12 comments Do you think Richard Wright was sick in the head? Myabe thats how he came up with the character Bigger?

message 48: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Coppage | 10 comments Iria wrote: "what do you think about Bigger's anger management issues?"

I believe Bigger's anger management issues are based on him simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. After his accidental killing of Mary, things just went downhill. I agree with stephanie when she stated that Bigger's anger managment issues only gets him into trouble. Through his anger is formed with fear and his dreams of becoming something "important" in life.

message 49: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Coppage | 10 comments Shanel wrote: "Do you think that acting on an impulse can benefit Bigger or harm him in the long run?"

I believe that Biggers' actions are based on his feelings inside. Which are based on fear anger. I actually think its pretty smart how he forms all of these plans. The Dalton's do underestimate him, until well he gets caught.Acting on an impulse for Bigger is dangerous. I felt Bessie's pain as he tried to pressure her into helping him with getting the money. That was him acting on an impulse and it only created more problems and more violence.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Marquis wrote:Write about how one character feels. Write about a time you felt that way, too.

Bigger is a angry person through out the book , he's always mad at his mom and his siblings.
one part in the book his brother finds money and he tries to go help bigger and bigger tells his little brother to just be quite about everything and he could trust him at times. I'm like that with my brother at times too. I trust him with certain things.

« previous 1