The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion

starting of the hobbit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tobias Vaneyll This story has a very interesting beggining. I know that when I was little I really enjoyed the movie, and the bookis just as intriguing. It described the hobbits in extreme detail and the shire as well. the wizard gandalf is shown as a wise old man but with many mysteries. im definatly lookink forward to reading more.

Eden This was a very good book and exciting. I am looking forward to the movies as well.

Paula I read The Hobbit a very long time ago. I enjoyed the entire book and laughed out loud through most of it. I don't usually laugh out loud, just smile or feel a bit of amusement. I really need to read The Hobbit again and see if I laugh.

Michael I actually listened to the audio book version and it's amazing. It set the bar so high that I've never found an audio book like it. He gave every dwarf a unique voice and really everyone in the story a great voice. Him singing made me laugh. I would agree that this is an awesome story and I'm glad I read a couple years ago. As much as I loved Lord of the Rings there is no way I could go back and read the books now no matter how much is different.

Susan (aka Just My Op) I loved this book when I first read it years ago. So much so that I have a slipcovered "collector's edition" that has been only slightly chewed by my dog. This was a long time ago, and she has long since gone to the big fire hydrant in the sky, but her passing was not in anyway related to chewing on this book, for those who worry about such things.

The first couple of sentences really drew me in:

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Bjorn-The Last Viking I also listened to the audio book when I was 9. At that time I didnt know that it was part of the Lord Of The Rings Series...I enjoyed it.

Jeffrey This book is one of my favorites. It was the book that started me on the path of reading when I was a kid. I tend to reread it about once a year. This year I'm currently reading it to my kids and they are loving it!

message 8: by Ron (last edited Apr 12, 2011 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron The Hobbit opened a whole new world for me when I first read it the the 1960s. While it is a kind of prequel to LOTR, it was Tolkien's only published work on Middle Earth for two decades. The flavor of the book is very different from the later series; almost young adult as opposed to the darker, more serious tone of LOTR.

I too reread it regularly. In many ways, I like it better than LOTR.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura It was kinda weird but the book is amazing!

Judith Paula wrote: "I read The Hobbit a very long time ago. I enjoyed the entire book and laughed out loud through most of it. I don't usually laugh out loud, just smile or feel a bit of amusement. I real..."

I really laughed often out loud too ! The only other books that made me laugh like that in my whole life were the serie Alcatraz and the evil librarians =). The hobbit is one of the best books ever !

Ottery StCatchpole I loved the books whimsy, it's one of my favorites. I don't see that kind of whimsical writing and style in many of today's books sadly. But I don't think a lot of people like whimsy either. I always find myself alone when I start discussing whimsical books or subjects ... *sighs* The Hobbit is one of my favorite books but right now I want to reread The Lord of the Rings, now that for me when I was younger, defined EPIC.

message 12: by Michael (last edited Apr 14, 2011 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael T The Hobbit is a perfect book.

Susan (aka Just My Op) I think that readers who enjoyed The Hobbit would also enjoy Watership Down . It's another older, whimsical book but with underlying layers to be discovered.

Paula I read 'Watership Down' and liked it. For the first time in my life I took rabbits seriously. They weren't cute little hopping animals, they were animals which required a certain amount of respect.

Lindsay Michael wrote: "I actually listened to the audio book version and it's amazing. It set the bar so high that I've never found an audio book like it. He gave every dwarf a unique voice and really everyone in the sto..."

I agree that this audio book is amazing. It is a favorite that I could listen to over and over! I have the BBC copy. Originally I had the cassets (and the first cassett was my favorite) then searched high and low to find the exact same recording on CD so I could listen to it in the car and on my MP3.

Geoffrey I had the good fortune to have an especially gifted English teacher in 7th grade, (early 60`s) who read us the Hobbit. I was the first to race to the library to read the Fellowship Trilogy, which I introduced to my best friend. I ended up reading it twice over, he six times. He could recite the poetry in his sleep.

message 17: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes I read the book back in 1969 while cruising on the Mekong Delta. It was a great prelude to The Lord of the Rings (actually I found it better) and Bilbo Baggins stole my heart. Any make-believe world was welcome there at that time.

Susan (aka Just My Op) I first read it around the same time, Thom, when my husband was in Vietnam. I don't remember if that's where he was when he first read it, but I'm sure he would concur with the make-believe statement.

message 19: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Smith I heard a section of this at school and was the first book I read and have re-read. It is now over 30 years on and Im still reading it on a regular basis always in winter.

message 20: by Ty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ty That, in and of itself, sounds like an intriguing story.

Thom wrote: "I read the book back in 1969 while cruising on the Mekong Delta. It was a great prelude to The Lord of the Rings (actually I found it better) and Bilbo Baggins stole my heart. Any make-believe worl..."

Katrina I was told the Hobbit is a different kind of book where the story is about the world not so much the characters so they are more there to hold spots.

Bjorn-The Last Viking Yeah. I agree with that statement.

Connor Katrina wrote: "I was told the Hobbit is a different kind of book where the story is about the world not so much the characters so they are more there to hold spots."

I actually think that The Lord of the Rings is more that way than The Hobbit.

Robert the hobbit centers on bilbo and his adventure. you'll notice that he is rarely "off camera". the short part that tells of smaug attacking lake town is the longest section section that bilbo isn't involved in.

lord of the rings, in contrast, jumps back and forth between the splintered groups: sam & frodo, pippin & merry, legolas gimli & aragorn. and lotr has a recurring theme of passing away. the ONE ring, the last alliance of elves & man, etc.

rebecca j I actually did a series of stories for 4-5 yr. olds, at nap time, about the Hobbit. I broke the book into sections, and told a little of the story (simplified) to the children each day. They loved it, and it shows that even preschoolers can appreciate the basic story.

Stephen Livingston The Hobbit is great and the Lord of the Rings is even better. If you haven't already done so I highly recommend you read them both.

Sierra I could never really get through the LOTR series (sure love the movies though), but The Hobbit was a pleasure to read!

*Kashi* I notice that there is some fear with LOTR. Why is that? Is it the size of it? or the multiple languages?

I've read the Hobbit 4 times. and LOTR twice. They are great books.

Kelly I love the Hobbit~I'm in sixth grade and I really loved to read it, it had really nice description.

Sharon Stewart I wish I were reading The Hobbit for the first time, and LOTR too. I love both of these and have re-read them at many stages of my life. Ever so often nothing else will do!

message 31: by K.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K.D. Sarge The Hobbit and LOTR are very different, and it's not surprising some prefer one over the other. Not to me, anyway.

I read The Hobbit in 8th grade and turned around and read it six more times. The chapter Spiders and Flies I think I read twenty times. I loved it so much!

I adore LOTR and I reread it about once a year from 17 to 30. The Hobbit is so familiar I don't think I've reread it in years, but a careful ear will still catch me using turns of phrase or direct quotes from it.

Scott My Dad read it to me when I was a kid and I've been re-reading it ever since. Easily 40 times through the years, for both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Been a couple of years now, so I suppose I'm due...

Laura Birks Hey don't know if you guys are already aware but if you have iTunes and visit the iTunes store you can download several lecture series from iTunesU all about The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings - just search for The Tolkien Professor. The best thing too is that they're free!

I love The Hobbit and LOTR and many other works that take place in Middle Earth, I'm about due to read them all again as I haven't read them for a while. I could never get bored of the books - they ROCK!

Melinda I've read The Hobbit and LOTR many times since they were given to me by a family friend. What a wonderful gift they were to a shy, lonely 12 year old. I think the story changes as I get older and change. In my opinion, that is the definition of all great works of any kind. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to have known a man like Tolkien?

Annamarie The way he makes Bilbo think about food here and there. Its hilarious.Also when the spots he gets into are really not of his liking, he talks about Gandalf not being around. But in reality he is in different ways.When the trolls get Bilbo and the dwarves...o my. I could stop laughing. But it was scary in a simple way.I think the way he found The Ring was very well written.You can almost see him finding it in the dark. Great read! You will enjoy.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Tolkien was a true master of the English language and his many characters come off the pages and seem to stand right next to you. In The Hobbit, well, in all of his books, I like Beorn the shapeshifter best out of all his characters.

message 37: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina I think The Hobbit is a really good book, every one is right in calling it a masterpiece. In my opinion, I think everyone should read The Hobbit before attempting to read Lord of The Rings because the story makes more sense. One thing I didn't like was the author's little comments, 'Now we know that the Eagles will soon return at the end of the story,' and all of those. They irked me a little because it ruined a bit of the surprise. I also was surprised by Smaug's death. It was done very simply and I thought there was going to be a war with him and Bilbo stabbing him with his dagger or something like that. A bit disappointed with that, but still a great book.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

The tone of the Hobbit was very different than The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit almost reads like a book written for children. There was so much more gravity in The Lord of the Rings, from beginning to end. But as Hina pointed out, it was an exceptionally good book as should be expected from a professor of language at Oxford as well as a veteran of the trenches in World War I.

Jerry White If you enjoyed the Hobbit, as I did, then you will need to read the short story by Tolkien "Leaf by Niggle" (I still cry when I read it...no wait, I am a guy and I don't cry...forget that I said that). I was about 19, in the military, in an airport on my way to Japan to be deployed to Vietnam in 1967 when I bought "The Two Towers". Knew nothing about it or Tolkien but after that I was a hooked fan so started collecting everything that had his name on it. I still have the the first copies of the "Lord of the Rings" from 1967-68 although, be it that, they are torn and tattered from the number of times I have read them. Any one that has not discovered Tolkien through the books does not know what they are missing.

message 40: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Hehe, I can't believe a boy in my class asked me what's The Hobbit when I was reading it in class. I did a mental headdesk.

message 41: by Gerd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gerd Hina(Bow ties are cool) wrote: "Hehe, I can't believe a boy in my class asked me what's The Hobbit when I was reading it in class. I did a mental headdesk."

Differing fields of interest.
If anybody asked me what I'm thinking about Dumbledore I'd probably answer:
"Why, which team is he playing for?"

message 42: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Lol! But everyone's heard of Lord of the Rings so why not The Hobbit, just because it hasn't been made into a movie yet. Come 2012...

Alondra Miller The Hobbit is such a great read. Literary, fantasy, thriller, if you will. I loved this beginning of TLOTR; which was such a great series. I have read it over and over and have watched the movies so much that I know dialogue... my name is Alondra and I am a dweeb.

message 44: by Glinda the Gallifreyan (last edited Sep 16, 2011 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glinda the Gallifreyan I absolutely love "The Hobbitt"!! My parents gave me a copy a few years ago, and I started immediately. I read it regularly like so many of you, and I can probably quote a couple verses of the dwarves' song. I LOVE that book, muvh more than the LOTR. Just everything about it- the way it's told, the descriptions, the plot line... I love it all!!

"Far over the misty mountains old,
To dungeons deep and caverns old.
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold."

That poem's so beatifully and simply written-- it gives me shivers every time I read it, and it paints such a vivid picutre.

message 45: by Phoebe (new) - added it

Phoebe The book The Hobbit has spun my imagination back and forth; I'm glad i'd read it! It pulled me in from the start; I was captivated by it!

message 46: by Jiri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jiri I enjoy The Hobbit more than the LoTR books, thats why I'm really looking forward to the movie, I just hope it will turn out at least as well as LoTR.

The book really belongs to my "all time favorites" and i re-read it quite often (if not the whole book then my favorite chapters - riddles in the dark and inside information).

Jackmccullough This was my introduction to Tolkien, to be followed by LOTR and many other works. It's pretty hard to stop after that first sentence.

A couple of facts that I always think are interesting:

1. When Tolkien was correcting papers he came across a blank page and wrote on it "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." That was where the whole book started.

2. It wasn't only Bilbo and Gollum: Tolkien didn't know the nature and meaning of what happened in Chapter 5 at the time he wrote it.

Koula I read The Hobbit and the LOTR many years ago and then the movie of LOTR came out and at the time I thought were is the Hobbit we need a introduction people. The Movie (LOTR) was good but I felt people where thrown right in the middle of the story line. It was kind of funny at the time because I kept thinking did the movie for the Hobbit come out and I missed the showing.

Glinda the Gallifreyan They did make one movie of The Hobbit, but it was years ago, and to be perfectly honest, they completely botched it. I think part of it was that it was in cartoon.

message 50: by Amos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amos Fairchild The Hobbit was made 1977.

« previous 1