Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

SF/Futuristic Romance > Anyone read Linnea Sinclair?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments I'm just now reading Gabriel's Ghost and really loving it! Wondered if anyone here has read her. She writes SF romance ("Star Trek with sex" as she likes to say!)

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments It's in my TBR stack per a recommendation from Yz. She said it's really good. I like SF books, so I'm sure I'll like it too.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I have a huge crush on Sully! : )

message 4: by Selena (new)

Selena Nonyebuizness (DarkHalo) | 4 comments no ive never read it how is it though??

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments Selena, if you liked TNG at all but craved more relationship/sex in the storylines, you'll love these books!

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments I've read all of them and LOVE LOVE them! I stumbled across Accidental Goddess a number of years ago and have pretty much bought (and devoured) everything she's written since then. They're all awesome!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 74 comments I've read all of Linnea's books. She's one of my favorite sf romance authors. Her titles have a place on my Keeper shelf.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments So, Nancy, Martina, which book would you say is your fave? I'm 100 pages into Gabriel's Ghost and loving it! But I have nothing else to compare it to :)

message 9: by Shirla (new)

Shirla Ghadaki (sjghadaki) | 21 comments Love her books. I am waiting for the latest one to be released off the new books category at the library.

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments JaimeRush wrote: "So, Nancy, Martina, which book would you say is your fave? I'm 100 pages into Gabriel's Ghost and loving it! But I have nothing else to compare it to :)"

JaimeRush, I really like Accidental Goddess, but I think that's in part because it was my first of Linnea's books. The Gabriel's Ghost books are also really good! Actually they're all well above average in my book with the exception of Down Home Zombie Blues. I'm not entirely sure I can articulate why, but it was somehow a small step below the other books.

message 11: by Jaime (last edited Mar 15, 2010 02:33PM) (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments I just got a peek at the new book, which hits the shelves soon. Wow, love the cover! The hero has glasses! First time I've ever seen that on a romance cover. What do you all think of a hero with glasses? I've seen lots of discussions about heroes with chest hair, but not glasses, LOL.Rebels and Lovers

Martina, interesting about Zombie Blues. I'm always curious about why a book doesn't work for a reader, but I've had that, too, where I just couldn't put my finger on it. I love the title, but haven't read it yet. I've got Shades of Dark on my shelf.

message 12: by Yz the Whyz (new)

I just requested An Accidental Goddess and Games of Command from PBS. I'm excited to get my hands of them.

message 13: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:36AM) (new)

Rebecca (myasmom) | 83 comments Yz you turned me into a Linnea Sinclair fan. I chose Gabriel's Ghost as my first Sinclair read because I saw it on your shelf. I can't wait for Rebels and Lovers.

message 14: by Yz the Whyz (new)

That is so cool, Rebecca. : )

Aren't the books great? I love Sully, although Phillip was no slouch. Plus the heroines are tough but feminine. Definitely will check out the next book.

message 15: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (linneasinclair) | 96 comments Martina wrote: "with the exception of Down Home Zombie Blues. I'm not entirely sure I can articulate why, but it was somehow a small step below the other books. ..."

As the one who wrote it ;-) I'm going to guess because it's the only book set NOT in "outer space" and not on a ship or space station. In SF the setting often becomes a character as well, and when you're used to reading "out there" from an author, and she (or he) sets it "here," it can be disconcerting.

I set ZOMBIE here (on this planet, in FL to be exact) because I had received a number of comments from readers unwilling to read SFR because they didn't want other planets or starships--they weren't comfortable with all the unknown-ness. So it was an attempt to bring into the SFR fold those new to the subgenre. It worked for them, based on my fan mail, but it annoyed a number of my regular readers. ;-)

I guess it's like when you go to KFC you expect chicken. If KFC offers shrimp, it's... disconcerting. ;-)

But ZOMBIE was fun for me to write because it takes place in St Petersburg FL (even though I call it Bahia Vista), and that's the city where I worked as a private detective for 10+ years. ~Linnea

message 16: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Hi, Linnea. Thanks for stopping by. : )

It's so cool to hear an author's POV about why she wrote certain books that way. I haven't read that book yet, but I will definitely keep in mind what you said while I'm reading it. I'm in the process of slowly collecting all your books.

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments Hi Linnea,

You know, I think you're right - I missed the character of "space" in ZOMBIE! I couldn't pinpoint why I liked it a little less than your other books, but that's undoubtedly it. Although I wouldn't say it "annoyed" me - I still really liked the book, but IMO it was more of a 4 star book while your others are all 5 stars for me. :-) I'm very glad to hear that it did well in the market though. Maybe some of the folks who loved ZOMBIE will come around to your other titles, too!

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments I've read bits and pieces of Zombie and it looks fab! But as my reading time is very limited right now, I am STILL reading Gabriel's Ghost (but more than halfway thru!).

message 19: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments I finally finished and really enjoyed it! Even though I'm not big into science fiction aspect, it was more about the romance and suspense than the gadgets. I liked that she's got an overall arc, and each book features a different couple but will continue the mission. Will definitely read more!

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments This is so funny. Yesterday, I was at the bookstore, and I almost picked up one of her books. Next time, I will definitely buy "Gabriel's Ghost".

What do you think? Should I start with Gabriel's Ghost?

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

My love affair with Linnea Sinclair's books started with Gabriel Ghost, so yes, I would suggest you start with it.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "My love affair with Linnea Sinclair's books started with Gabriel Ghost, so yes, I would suggest you start with it."

Thanks Yz the Whyz! Gabriel's Ghost it is. SMILE Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1) by Linnea Sinclair I might have to change one of the "Couple on the Cover" May challenge.

message 23: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (kyahgirl) I've loved everything I've read by Linnea Sinclair but Gabriel's Ghost remains at the top. I was so revved up after finishing that book (in the middle of the night of course) that I couldn't get to sleep!

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I've been wanting to read them a while because of all the high recommendations from my friends. So many books, so little time. >.<

message 25: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 147 comments new_user wrote: "I've been wanting to read them a while because of all the high recommendations from my friends. So many books, so little time. >.<"

I am in the same boat. I bought Gabriel's Ghost a few weeks ago and have had time of start reading. I may read it this weekend since I am done with my challenges.

message 26: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 34 comments I started with Finders Keepers and enjoyed it so much. I then continued with Hope's Folly which I also liked a lot. For some reason that I can't explain I never read Gabriel's Ghost.

message 27: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 74 comments I've read all of Linnea's books and they're fabulous. I'll pick up anything she writes. I love her SFR universes and the mix of action and romance.

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Just finished Ghost from Linnea and enjoyed it. :)

message 29: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) I loved all of Linnea's books, including Zombie Blues. I love the sense of humor she brings to a story (which is what tickled me about Blues - Zombies in florida!?!) If you like high powered action, romances and funny, you'll love her books.

message 30: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 22 comments Yes, I'm an avid Linnea Sinclair fan and you'll find traces and evidence of that in everything I write.