UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Hobbies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
I've been thinking recently that I need a new hobby but can't decide what to take up! What do you lot like doing? (Other than reading of course!)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments I listen to audio books while knitting and I did a lot of cross stitch and embroidery too at one time. I have only just taken up knitting again as there are some gorgeous modern wool, cotton, merino and bamboo in some fab colours!

I have been making modern scarves for friends, a couple of huge blankets for myself and one for my reading mad daughter in law to be. I have then done mobile socks and tissue holders to sell at a Marie Curie tea paty I intend to have in July.

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I've tried so many times to learn to knit - I manage to do it fine then mid-stitch I completely forget how to do it again!

I started making another rug earlier though :)

message 4: by Nick 2E0NAQ (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:45PM) (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I was 30 when I thought I'd like to see if I could play golf after 3 lessons I was hooked.
I managed with my disablity really well and I used to play in disabled competitions too.
My nan taught me to knitt to give my hands and fingers excise when I was younger.
I enjoy writing and I am trying to write and book it is taking me years to write. In the end I hope that I can get in published.

message 5: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments My Nan taught me to knit and I can manage pretty well but when ever I made a mistake I'd hand it over to her to sort out. As a result, I panic if I drop a stitch so only successfully knitted scarves! Have two unfinished childrens cardigans sitting in my craft box though.

I do a couple of dance classes, which I love and you can chose whatever kind of dance appeals to you. I think yoga is great for body and mind - always feel great afterwards.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments I do cross stitch. I've tried knitting, but couldn't get past knitting scarves! At the moment I'm learning how to make clothes on my sewing machine.

Apart from crafts I also like writing, although haven't done it for a while. Also I love to cook.

message 7: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I've done cross stitch in the past but never learned how to knit or crochet. I do love to sew and quilt. I also love to cook, however my dieting doesn't appreciate that ;)

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 177 comments I have recently discovered knitting and am really enjoying it although am using nice big chunky wool so everything knits up really quickly! Just finished knitting a handbag for my mum and gloves for my sister

I also enjoy researching my family tree

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments Amy wrote: "I have recently discovered knitting and am really enjoying it although am using nice big chunky wool so everything knits up really quickly! Just finished knitting a handbag for my mum and gloves fo..."

I've been researching my family tree too. It's amazing how much I've found out, so far I've managed to trace it right back to the 1500s!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo My mum tried to teach me to knit when i was younger but i kept messing up and refused to do it again. In my spare time i play guitar and draw. Sometimes i paint too. Oh and write! I am attempting to write a book.

message 11: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Flora wrote: "I've done cross stitch in the past but never learned how to knit or crochet. I do love to sew and quilt. I also love to cook, however my dieting doesn't appreciate that ;)"

Ok flora you cook it I will eat it then you do have to worry about your diet hehe!

message 12: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) thats fine with me but you get to do all the dishes :P

message 13: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I dont think that would be a good idea with my hand control hehe.

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments I started knitting again at the beginning of this year but something I haven't done before socks.I can't say I've been very successful though I keep dropping stitches and having to start again.I had to make a story sack on a course I did last year and enjoyed making knitted toys for that and that's what got me knitting again - I plan to do some more for another story sack I am going to make for a present.I also like scrapbooking and cardmaking.I hope to go and see more films this year too.

message 15: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Nick wrote: "I dont think that would be a good idea with my hand control hehe."

excuses, excuses

message 16: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments Hi,
Fishing is the only choice!! I 'escaped' for a few hours, I've only been home an hour or so. It was great!! 50 odd miles to the coast, not a breath of wind, beautiful sunset, not too cold. The first avocets have returned, beautiful, if bad tempered things. Over the sea wall onto the beach to be met by a hail of shingle hurled up the beach by breakers up to 8feet high, kicked up by the storm which hit France but missed us. The tide was so strong my gear wouldn't grip, just washed back onto the beach!
Moved 30 miles to the wash at Hunstanton, no breakers, no fish either!!
Like I said, it is a great hobby, 140 miles, [mostly on twisting roads:] no fish, I have stopped shivering now, well just about stopped. Good job the wife left my tea in the fridge! Am I mad? of course I am, but I wouldn't have missed it! There is always next time.
You see it's not just the fishing, that is just an excuse 'to be there'. North Norfolk is wild, realatively unspoilt, the things which live up there, other than the people are priceless, whether it is the seals or the snowbuntings.
You never know who will sit down next to you, simply to watch the world, it might be Bill Oddie bird watching or Ray Boras fishing, it could be, and has been, Stephen Fry simply in search of a bit of peace.
Fishing has to be the most theraputic leveller on the planet, try it.
All the best, and tight lines, Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments I used to take my kids fishing when they were on school half terms mostly. As they went to separate schools in Wilts and Dorset their half term never coincided, so it meant two weeks of sitting by a lake, in the New Forest with a book trying to be enthausiastic when anything was caught! My daughter had more success than my son who wasn't as patient! She was thrilled when she caught a big fish; but even when she went into the lake to her knees, was unable to land it. Two boys on the opposite side were extremely nift that a mere girl had caught, if not landed, the biggest fish that day!

message 18: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I used to fish a lot with my younger brother. We would go for a week at a time and have a laugh. I also used to go sea fishing too with a mate, I can home with a bag of fish and one time I was luck to catch a nice size bass which was lovely with a big plate of chips. Mmmmm

message 19: by grebrim (new)

grebrim | 20 comments I recommend reading.

message 20: by grebrim (new)

grebrim | 20 comments No seriously, photography is a great way to be creative without learning loads of technique before, your learn some basic things and then you'll just get better as you shoot.

On top of that, the Internet allows you to keep in touch with photo friends from around the Globe, e.g. via flickR, here's my site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saint-loup/

message 21: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Wow, aren't we the negative one. A hobby can be anything that you do in your spare time that you enjoy doing including photography. If other ppl don't enjoy your pics, oh well. Its a job if you get paid for it. My daughter loves photography. She does it purely for her own enjoyment and doesn't force her pics on others if they aren't interested.

message 22: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I too enjoy WALKING, i actually picked up a cloud walker for really cheap and use it regularly. I also enjoy yoga, its very relaxing.

message 23: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I'm sensitive, but I don't hate anybody.....ok I take that back, I hate the ex husband

message 24: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) 0:) sorry just being a smart a$$, as for playing with ppls minds--mine is too little to be out on its own I'll leave that to others

message 25: by Jo (new)

Jo Wow someones in a bad mood! It seems like someones hobby is to try and offend people.

message 26: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I suggest that we drop this conversation about Saad/The Rock/Spurfect/SadCat's comments and try to start again - if this happens again I may have to do something about it. Does this sound like a plan?

message 27: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments Blimey! I thought this was a happy place to be, pack it up!! There is too much grief around already without adding to it! Hobbies are supposed to relax you, chill out time, and all that. No wonder I go fishing and watching the wild life about their daily lives, much more civilized.
Look forward to meeting some of you at Winchester 25/26 of June.
Byeee, and all the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

message 28: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments I can hear the 'clang' from here, good idea Zoe.
All the best, Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo Well no one is making you talk to us "children"

I'm happy to move on and talk about hobbies again, Zoe :)

message 30: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I wouldn't mind taking up sailing seeing as I live near the sea but it's expensive so I don't think I'd be able to! There's really not much to do around here :(

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo Couldn't you get a beginners lesson for cheap?

message 32: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I just had a look at the first site I came across and it does a 1 day introductory thing for £95... It's 9 - 5 so I guess if you break it down per hour it's not that much! Or there are two day courses abroad for either £195 or £215 depending on when you went... It is tempting, and it might be possible to find it cheaper elsewhere... Would be a good experience!

message 33: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah same here! Glad the weather's starting to get a bit sunnier - hopefully it'll be warm enough to go to the sea soon! :)

The boats where I am are generally a bit bigger than yachts as I'm near Portsmouth Harbour, but Port Solent isn't far away and that's got smaller boats

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo Maybe you could ask someone to pay for it for your birthday or something? I like Portsmouth harbour, i used to go there when my brothers was at uni.

message 35: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah I like it there too! It's just a shame that I'm only really here during wintertime due to the 4 month long summer holidays!

My birthday's gone this year :( Though me and my mum haven't done anything for it yet, not sure sailing will be her thing though so we're planning to go see The Lion King at the theatre :)

message 36: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I went to see Wicked last year at the theatre as my friend worked at the theatre and got cheaper tickets - was amazing :)

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo I've never been. I hope you like Lion King if you end up going!

message 38: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah they are quite expensive!

I'll have to have a look to see if the library put on shows still - I went to the cafe there the other day! :)

I had a look ages ago at what's on at the New Theatre Royal but haven't looked recently, perhaps I should as it's just down the road from me!

message 39: by Adam (new)

Adam Sparks I like painting.

message 40: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Fiona wrote: "Oh I loved that library cafe - does Ray still work there... and his wife I think her name is Tricia? How strange... used to spend my life between that cafe and the uni library cafe trying to avoid ..."

I'm not sure, I've only been in there once and it was a lady working! I have quite a few methods of avoiding work too :D

I've attempted painting before... it didn't go well, haha!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments I saw Hairspray in July with my daughter and her partner, who works in the Dominian Theatre. My daughter and I also went to see We Will Rock You too last year when I went to visit her in London.

In Salisbury City Hall I went to see Charlie Landsborough, Merry Christmas Everybody with Mud 2, T.Rex Tribute band and Slade, Vampires Rock Christmas with Toyah Wilcox and That'll Be the Day Christmas Special, all with different friends. I also went to see Arsenic and Old Lace at Salisbury Play House on my own as I was bored one Friday night.

It is an expensive hobby though but a nice treat now and then.

message 42: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I went to see Hairspray in London - I had a great time, it was Michael Ball as Edna - he was amazing in it I thought. Took my little "ballerina" daughters to see The Nutcracker back in January - their first proper ballet and they were transfixed. I loved it too! Carmen with my Mum is next - can't wait for that.

Hey, another thing is going to comedy clubs or seeing stand-up shows - my husband and I saw John Bishop the other week and he was excellent - we've got a couple more nights booked up this year to see Jason Manford and John Richardson.

message 43: by Jo (new)

Jo I went to see Russell Howard a few months back. He was really funny! Today i bought tickets to see Flight of the Conchords. Can't wait!

message 44: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments That's funny Jo, I am listening to Flight of the Condchords right now - Fou du Fafa! I loved the TV show - I didn't relise they were in UK though, I'm going to check that out - it ought to be pretty good.

Russell Howard is fab too - and as a Bristolian I speak fluent west-country, always helpful when watching Russll Howard and Justin Lee Collins!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments Michael Ball as Edna was brilliant, we had front row seats that day we went and it was one of the last shows Michael was in before he finished

message 46: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Absolutely, I couldn't imagine him in it before hand but he definitely owned it! Have you seen the John Travolta film?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3606 comments No think I may go tonight as I have been studying for two days, need some time off!

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo Em wrote: "That's funny Jo, I am listening to Flight of the Condchords right now - Fou du Fafa! I loved the TV show - I didn't relise they were in UK though, I'm going to check that out - it ought to be pret..."

Haha! I love that song! I think it might have sold out now. They went on pre sale yesterday. I managed to get 2 tickets in a really bad spot but i think it will still be fun. I love those guys!

message 49: by Jirinka (sony08) (new)

Jirinka (sony08) (sony08) I used to do a lot of cross stich and embroidery - I still like to do this, but less (too much reading to do). But I now have my own garden, so really like doing that and I love cooking and getting my new food processor on Saturday!!!!

Love the theatre too...

message 50: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments Other than reading I play a variety of instruments, Crochet and cross stitch (although I haven't done the cross stitch since becoming a mum). After being more into stringed instruments till now I decided to teach myself the flute and the saxaphone.
I have an extensive DVD collection but truthfully can't concentrate on them most of the time (I have to be in the mood)

« previous 1 3