Bloggers Unite™ discussion

Blogs... > How do you get regular followers/readers?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (last edited Mar 01, 2010 04:09AM) (new)

Jillian (randomramblings) | 10 comments I'm curious as to how your own blog grew.

And if you ARE following blogs, what is about their sites that make you subscribe to them and make you their regular reader?
Any suggestions, tips, and advice? Thanks everyone!

Jillian - Random Ramblings.

message 2: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (worddreams) | 18 comments I feel like I've worked far too hard for my subscribers (http://worddreams.wordpress.com), and it has nothing to do with volume of comments to my blog or me to other blogs. Quality content, consistency, word of mouth. I keep the focus on my reader and off of myself. I was told it would take a few years. I'm 9 months into it, but I can see it's starting to work.

How about yours?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (splue) | 13 comments I agree with this. i've only been doing this for about 4 months, and loving it, but it's slow at first. I've recently started going to a lot of other blogs and commenting and getting myself better acquainted with other great bloggers! Its a great way to get your blog around and known. I also ask for advice on my blog, and it also helps to go to blog directories like this one is great; http://yablogosphere.blogspot.com/ , and signing yourself up!

message 4: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 4 comments I definitely have worked my ass off for my followers/readers. I've been blogging since the end of July 09 and have almost hit 400 followers (only 6 more to go!). I agree with Jacqui about quality content. The most important thing in gaining followers is having good content. I un-follow blogs if the reviews are crap, I know it's mean but copy/pasting the goodreads summary then writing one sentence does not make a good review, and I primarily follow blogs to learn about other books.

Aside from content, giving away things seems to bring readers in droves, I've had contests where I gained 100 followers. However, that isn't always the greatest route to go, as I'd rather people stick around for the content. I do notice a lot of people have stuck around after the contests end, and I went 2 months without having a contest, yet still gained followers, -horntoot-

I comment a lot. I probably leave around 200 comments on blogs per week, not comments like great post! but comments that are in-depth and relative to what's being posted. When you comment regularly people will return the favor. I also participate in memes such as In My Mailbox, Waiting on Wednesday and It's Monday What Are You Reading.

Also, what you should do is add metatags and metacontent to your blog. Metatags will help your blog show up in search engines. Here's a link on how to do this: http://bloggertricks.com/2007/12/addi...

Also claim your blog on bookblips.dailyradar.com - I've done this and saw my traffic increase.

Also if you have time for blog improvement projects, I highly recommend doing the mini challenges from bloggiesta, it will help you make your blog better and bring it to the next level. http://blog.mawbooks.com/2009/06/19/b...

What else? Oh right, I'm a huge fan of using twitter to link my posts and to build relationships with bloggers and authors. I've become very friendly with several people over twitter, and highly recommend it.

Good Books & Good Wine
Twitter: @booksandwine

message 5: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (worddreams) | 18 comments Well, aren't you the busy girl, April. I took notes and am going to try everything you mentioned come summer when my teaching year is ended. Great ideas.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (randomramblings) | 10 comments Mine is starting to work as well. It's a slow process, and some days are better than others, but it's definitely moving :)
I notice that when you post comments to other blogs as well, they usually return the favor by checking your blog out. Often, these bloggers return and keep reading, and eventually become a follower.

Basically its all about networking. I feel as though even if I had the best content and reviews, if I do not "socialize" myself and my blog, nobody on earth will know about it.
Thanks everyone for your insights.

message 7: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (worddreams) | 18 comments Anyone know anything about Diigo? I've been getting a lot of hits from that arm of social networking. I checked it out, but it's not entirely clear to me how I can use it to generate business.

Thanks for anyone's insights.

message 8: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments wow, you people sure know a lot about how to get your blog out there!

Yes, a lot of it does seem to be a networking thing. I'll try some of the stuff you recommended.