Jane Austen discussion

Book/Video News > Box Sets

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I found at our local store that Barnes & Noble has published a few classic novels, each as part of a box set of book and DVD. They include only a handful as you can see at the link, but Sense and Sensibility is one of the titles and it is boxed with the 1995 Ang Lee movie version (this is the Emma Thompson and dozen-other-fabulous-actors version).

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/book...

They are moderately priced and they are nice enough even for gift-giving.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice selection and a good price. I hope they come out with a few more -- I already own the two I would buy.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 73 comments Oh cool! I'm going to have to look for those. ^^

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments PRETTY! I may have to get the movie collections all together and then give away the S&S DVD. I own it already. Then again, maybe I should keep since it has such a pretty case!

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I will point out that the case is about 8x10, so it needs a bigger place on the shelf than most hard bound books. It is more the size of a school textbook. I didn't know if that was described online or not. Still lovely, but I know most of us have space limitations. The paperback inside is a fairly nice little edition, also slightly different size from most.

I didn't need the Austen, but wound up with The Age of Innocence from this collection.

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) | 319 comments Thanks for the tip Sarah! This type of thing is right up my alley because I like to own a copy to lend and a copy to keep to ensure I always have it (and in good condition. But maybe now I need a third category: collectible. Hmm...

p.s. I love Daniel Day-Lewis in The Age of Innocence!

message 7: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I haven't seen it yet, will probably read it first, so that may be time upcoming. I will look forward to him. I remember him in A Room with a View, but really haven't watched him in a lot of movies. I love when I luck upon a period movie I haven't seen!

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Thanks for the information about the size! I may have to check my shelf's size now.

message 9: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

These sets I previously mentioned in this thread are now marked down at my Barnes & Noble store - price $7.95. So I now own the Sense & Sensibility set (the 1995 film). So a previous copy of the book will probably turn up in my house somewhere, but I will then just pass it on to my niece probably. I couldn't pass up the deal.

Also purchased last night was a Georgette Heyer hardcover edition by Fall River Press. It contains both Lady of Quality and Charity Girl. This costs only $8.98. Where does B&N get this stuff? The blurb on the back cover promises they are full of sparkle, wit, and charm.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue (suesnew) Sarah wrote: "I found at our local store that Barnes & Noble has published a few classic novels, each as part of a box set of book and DVD. They include only a handful as you can see at the link, but Sense and ..."

I don't think we have a Barnes and Noble locally but it's worth a try. Sounds reasonable. I usually find online cheaper for where I live and now and then hit the Borders store or half-price books.