Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Title 'abridged' in book list

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scolaro (new)

Scolaro | 6 comments I was going through Terry Pratchett's book list. One entry only reads
"The Discworld"

When I clicked on it the full title popped up:
"The Discworld (Reformed) Vampyre's Diary (Gollancz)"

For some reason the complete title is not shown on Mr Pratchett's list (page 2):
http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/...

I tried refreshing the data, but no use. What can I do?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
It's the parentheses causing that. The parser ignores everything after parentheses on some pages, like the author's booklist page.

message 3: by Scolaro (new)

Scolaro | 6 comments rivka wrote: "It's the parentheses causing that. The parser ignores everything after parentheses on some pages, like the author's booklist page."

Thanks for the info! :-)
Is there anything that can be done about it? The title can't really be changed because it's correct the way it is written.

message 4: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Feb 28, 2010 10:53AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Interesting. I corrected the title (which was slightly wrong) by removing the publisher "(Gollancz)" and adding "2003" since that is actually apparently part of the title, and now it displays correctly, even though the first parenthetical is still there. It sometimes seems rather random.

message 5: by Scolaro (new)

Scolaro | 6 comments Well, considering that the parentheses with the respective edition number of a book series - "Title, (Series, #1)" - is usually displayed fine this is really odd.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Perhaps it was the duplicate parentheses that did it?

message 7: by Scolaro (new)

Scolaro | 6 comments But the text was cut off before the first one, not the second...

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

A confused parser is a terrible thing. ;)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments <Speculation>
I'm thinking the parser might only cut out parentheses if the title ends with a ")". If the title does end with this, it then starts from the beginning until it finds a "(" and cuts everything from there to the end. That would explain both why it cut out everything originally and also why it doesn't cut anything out of the modified title.

I'm sure it will take someone 5 minutes to find an exception disproving the rule.
</Speculation>

message 10: by Scolaro (new)

Scolaro | 6 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "I'm thinking the parser might only cut out parentheses if the title ends with a ")".

Mhm...but then every title of a book series that's been added according to rules "Title (Series, #?)" wouldn't show up in these lists.
And it seems they do:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/...

"Gesamtwerk in drei Bänden (Band #1)"

(Or maybe I just didn't understand your description. ^^)

Or you're right in the sense that this happens only when there are two pairs of parentheses...