Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Our very own Read-a-thon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) After crashing another thread about this idea and after Kelly's suggestion, I decided to start a new thread for discussion of this idea.

I'm wondering how many of you are interested in participating in an event of this kind. If you are wondering what this is about, read the paragraph below.

Read-a-thon is like a reading challenge, but one that runs over a very short time, like 24 hours or 48 hours, even 72 hours in some cases. You can sign up to be a Reader or a Cheerleader. If you are a reader, you well, read, post updates on your progress, motivate others, participate in any mini-challenges and so on. It's up to you when (if) you want to sleep, shower, eat, lol! If you are a Cheerleader, you can design mini-challenges, motivate the readers, do stats on reader progress - anything that livens up the whole event. Cheerleaders don't have to be up the whole 24 hours. Usually they take turns in hours.

So that's the concept in a nutshell. If we have sufficient interest in this idea, we can have our very own Read-a-thon out here. It will be a great way for you to read with less guilt (Thanks Kelly!), and to just get done with a bunch of reads as soon as possible.

So what do you think?

message 2: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I think its a great idea and would like to be a reader - as long as its a saturday so I can recover before going to work. lol

message 3: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm in as a reader also. But yeah on a Saturday would be great.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Awesome, great description Aths!! And thanks for coming up with the idea. I think this sounds like so much fun!! I would love nothing more than a whole day of guilt-free reading LOL. I'm game for any day of the week, since I'm not working at the moment.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I agree, great idea, and a Saturday would work for me. If there are people interested that can't do a Saturday, maybe we could do a 48 hour one, Sat/Sun, or we could do one on Saturday and a separate one during the week for people with different work schedules. Just a thought. I don't work retail anymore, but when I did, I ALWAYS had to work weekends! :-(

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I would say the weekend too...Sundays are easier than Saturdays for me (my daughter has gymnastics) but I can read with short breaks for driving :)

message 7: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Glad you ladies love this idea! I do too, and I've been itching to get into a continuous reading marathon, if not for darned school!

For those of you, wondering about the day of the week, I agree the weekend sounds good to me too. Like Catherine said, some may prefer Saturdays and some Sundays, and some of you weekdays. Depending on the number of people signing up for this idea, we can host one for the weekends and one for the weekdays, or even a 48 hour one that spans Sunday/Monday, however it works. I am hoping a lot of you will be interested (heck, we have 747 members!), so multiple events would be a good idea too.

If things kick off soon, we can have one in March-end or April-start. In which case, we can have a few polls set up this/next week to see when people would prefer to have it + what role they wish to sign up for.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jayebee) Sounds like fun, Aths. What a great idea!

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 35 comments Count me in as a reader!!

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 394 comments ok, it will depend on WHEN you do it. I'm one of those that weekends (defined as Fri, Sat, Sun) don't normally work for. But if its not til the end of March--then I might be able to do it. Hubby works 10 hour days, m-th, and is off on fri-sun. So when he's off, we are usually running errands etc.

But hey, I'm willing to be either a reader or a cheerleader, so post that poll. :o)

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (passionflakie) | 23 comments sounds like fun:D

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I will definitely participate ... either as a reader or a cheerleader, depending on my schedule. But I'm hoping as a reader ... I could definitely use the reading time!

message 13: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 171 comments I'd love to do this depending on when as well. It wouldn't be the first time I stayed up all night reading and it'd be fun to do it with company!

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments I'd love to join. Depending on what Sat, I'm game, we have SharpShooters the first and third Sat of the month, so those are out but I would love to do one on Sat. Sunday my hubby is home and we work around the house or spend time together w/the kids. But I'll make it work, I think it would be awesome and fun.

message 15: by Kelly (last edited Feb 28, 2010 11:59AM) (new)

Kelly We could even turn it into a semi-regular event - once a month or once every other month, or once a season, depending on how much time people have. Or say if we had it once a month, for example, someone who is pretty busy one month, but still wants to participate, could be a cheerleader, and then the next month they are more free to be a reader.

Fun Fun! You rock, Aths!!

message 16: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Once every couple of months sounds good.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kelly, I was thinking the same thing, make it once a month or so. I know there might be months when I can't participate as a reader but would be glad to cheerlead. It's going to be impossible to find one day that we can all be readers. Making it a monthly or quarterly thing would help.

message 18: by Athira (last edited Feb 28, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Ann, Susan, I hear ya! I agree a chosen date will not suit everyone's schedule, so we need to find a way to make it suit everyone, probably without prolonging the event beyond 24/48 hours.

Kelly, that sounds like a great idea! Having it once a month or every other month. God knows we read too much, LOL! Making it more regular would work well for everyone too, that way we can make sure everyone gets to have it on a day that suits their schedule, esp if they miss one event. Btw, you rock too, girlfriend! :)

Also, as I said in the other thread, most of us would want to be readers, unless it's a busy day for us. Which is fine, though we could do with some constant fun too, in the way of some mini-challenges or fun trivia and the like.

Since it looks like making this event more regular will be a popular idea, I'll get started on a few polls and once things look set, we'll put the Read-a-thon in a new Board of its own!

So excited! :)

message 19: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Maybe one month can be for the weekend people and the next month for the weekday people. Alternate like that. Just a suggestion.

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 87 comments Count me in! I don't have to clean my house every weekend, do I? I will love to be a reader!

message 21: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Of course you don't Colleen. I don't. LOL

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine That's one of the benefits of being single ... I don't have to clean every weekend!

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo It sounds like fun I would be a reader.
Either time would be okay.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) Depending on when it would be, I would love to do this as a reader!

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Well once later spring and summer come and I start the shore thing then my weekends I usually don't get alot of reading done if it's a full house. But I'll try my best.

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) IF IT WAS A SATURDAY AND I AM FREE I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN IN. ARE WE ALL GOING TO READ THE SAME BOOK?

message 27: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Dawn wrote: "IF IT WAS A SATURDAY AND I AM FREE I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN IN. ARE WE ALL GOING TO READ THE SAME BOOK?"

Dawn, the books you want to read are up to you. It's all about sitting and getting a lot of reading done, keeping everything else on the back burner. Usually people choose a bunch of shortish books so that by the end of the event, they would have completed a good number of books.

Thanks for the interest, everyone! I will be getting out the polls tonight mostly. Once the response is in, we'll figure out the dates for our first event!

message 28: by KrisT (last edited Mar 03, 2010 09:26AM) (new)

KrisT | 414 comments I would try this. I would want to be a reader just so I can get more of my stacks done.

Aths, maybe if you decided to do it once a month they could be mini-thons...like an 8 hour shift or something and maybe a longer one quarterly in the year. I don't mind ignoring housework or yardwork but I don't want people not to spend time with their family and friends. You know this makes me think that those of you that are single and can do this more easily should do a singles weekend or something like that so you can get more reading in and those with spouses or sig others or kids etc can have a shorter time alotted on occasion.
Aths I think you started something here! :)

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine So glad to hear we don't have to all read the same book ... I didn't think that was the intention. I like group reads, but I find a lot of them are books I've already read.

message 30: by Kelly (last edited Mar 03, 2010 12:49PM) (new)

Kelly I like the singles weekend idea KrisT! I am one of those who are single with no kids. My one and only issue is that I live with my parents, and they take it upon themselves to make little comments if I'm doing something they don't entirely "approve" of - which is really just about every little thing, lol. You know how parents can be, even when their "kids" are adults. So I will have to overcome a small amount of guilt to indulge myself in reading all day long, but it will be worth it! Sounds heavenly!!

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I'm a "singleton" too, and I love it when I have a completely free weekend when I can get a lot of reading done! I'd get more done during the week if I could just quit watching so much TV, LOL.

message 32: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm married with a 16 yr. old child still at home, but my hubby spends all his time watching TV. My son spends all his time on the phone with his GF, so I'm still spending time to myself.

message 33: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) KrisT, I get what you are saying, and I am thinking around it. Rather than shorter shifts, how does a 2-hour break in between sound? You can decide when you want to take that break - it can also be a time, to just post a quick update, or you can spend some time with family or do anything else. I am not sure if I can make it a mandatory rule, or else, it can be provided as an option.

message 34: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) | 87 comments I'm in as a reader :) Saturday would probably be best for me though..

message 35: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (hockeygirl66) I'm in as a reader, too! Weekends work best for me but I would try to do what I could on any day that is selected.

message 36: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments I'm in as a reader. Weekends are fine with me!

message 37: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (hawkstar) | 21 comments Count me in as a reader too! This sounds like a lot of fun! Any day of the week, including weekends, is good for me. I homeschool, and I have no job, haha.

message 38: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 65 comments Fantastic idea, haven't done one of these in a while. Count me as a reader! Just make sure it's on a Friday night or Saturday.

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments I would love to do something like this - good excuse! I would be a reader, any day is good for me, I am a stay home mom and create my own schedule.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda Catherine wrote: "So glad to hear we don't have to all read the same book ... I didn't think that was the intention. I like group reads, but I find a lot of them are books I've already read."
Yes, Me too! Selecting our own book would be so much easier!! I think this is an awesome idea!

message 41: by Tiff (new)

Tiff (utbooklady) | 65 comments This is an awesome idea! Count me in. I like Saturday too.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it would be awesome... Saturday would be great! COUNT ME IN!!! :)

message 43: by Jery (new)

Jery (brwniidgirl) | 94 comments Sounds like fun! Hope it's not the same day as my daughter's spelling bee the first go round - but if so I can always cheerlead when I have time!

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Jery, we will probably end up doing this once a month or every other month, so that there are more opportunities for people to participate as readers. I know I won't always be able to participate as a reader either!

message 45: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments I also want to participate as a reader, but may miss the first one - we're planning a short spring vacation which might coincide with the weekend you choose.

Weekend or weekday or alternating all work for me.

message 46: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) i have a 3yr old and I owuldn't be able to ignore her for the whole day even with a break

but I will come and cheer everyone on though I suppose you would all be too busy to read the cheers!!

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Ha ha, that's true, we shouldn't be online too much during the Read-A-Thon, but I'll probably get on once in a while to update my status and check on others. I think it will really be fun!

message 48: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Catherine wrote: "Ha ha, that's true, we shouldn't be online too much during the Read-A-Thon, but I'll probably get on once in a while to update my status and check on others. I think it will really be fun!"

And I will read more then I nirmally do in a day in the spirit of the day

message 49: by Athira (last edited Mar 04, 2010 02:20PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Catherine, that goes for me too. I will mostly keep coming here to check where every one is. If everyone's doing the same thing, we'll have loads of progress reports. LOL.

Afsana, that is a fab idea too! Reading more in the spirit of the day! :)

message 50: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I probably won't update much. Like most of you all, once I'm on here I tend to stay awhile.LOL

« previous 1