History Buffs United discussion

What Are You Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 89 comments Mod
What is everyone reading? Please share your story with us.

message 2: by Manuela (last edited Feb 26, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Manuela (h2n2) | 2 comments I'm currently reading a historical fiction book: O Bobo by Herculano, Alexandre by Alexandre Herculano, a 19th century Portuguese writer and historian.

The plot is set on the 12th century during the "Reconquista Cristã" (Christian Reconquest) years in the Iberian Peninsula, when Portugal was born.

This is not an easy read. Herculano was as strict with his words as he was while dealing with facts, but it's well worth the effort since the book is strongly based in facts and events of our history, with as little fiction as one can expect from a novel.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a translation to English.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 89 comments Mod
That's awesome! Sounds interesting.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Vizcarra | 4 comments I am tearing through all the books I have been staring at for a decade or more. I'll admit it I am a book monger and can't help myself. I need someone to help me stay away from all those attractive used bookstores.What's worse is I buys many of these books for under $5.00. If you see me on the television shows intervention or hoarders please don't think the worst of me. Good news is I haven't been in a bookstore in days and I have read four books in the last 4 months.I'm up to 50 pages a day with no end in sight. :)

message 5: by Cece (new)

Cece AWESOME!! I read a lot too. I would read all the time if it weren't for school and homework.I can read many books in 1 day. My record is 3.5 books in 1 day.

message 6: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 4 comments I am currently reading, among other books: An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson, by Andro Linklater. This is an amazing story.

Doug in South Carolina

message 7: by Cece (last edited Mar 26, 2010 02:14PM) (new)

Cece Douglas wrote: "I am currently reading, among other books: An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson, by Andro Linklater. This is an amazing story.

Doug in South Carolina"

James Wilkinson is my cousin's ancester!! I think
Cece

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2 comments I'm currently reading Truman by David McCullough and really enjoying it. While I like to read all types of historical writing, my primary interest is American History--especially of the 20th century.

message 9: by Cece (new)

Cece cool!

message 10: by Hannah (last edited Apr 03, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 2 comments I am currently reading A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G. J. Meyer. I am about two hundred pages away from finishing it, which means I'm almost done because the whole thing is about 700 pages long. It is well-written, entertaining, and accessible enough to be enjoyed by the casual reader who wants to learn about the political and military history of the war; it is also detailed enough to captivate the avid history buff.

I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Cece (new)

Cece awesome

message 12: by Jerome (last edited Mar 11, 2012 06:33PM) (new)

Jerome As some of you may know the war in Afghanistan was kicked off by a unique and innovative blend of CIA paramilitary operatives and special operations forces. Unfortunately, few appreciate it as such. I have compiled the best accounts of this unconventional 2001 phase of the war on this shelf.

message 13: by Jerome (new)

Jerome I'm awaiting a copy of World War I by S.L.A. Marshall. I don't know too much about that other than what I learned in college-prep and AP history classes, so I'm looking forward to it.

message 14: by Jerome (new)

Jerome Starting Marshall's World War I. Excellent so far.

message 15: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell Bauman | 1 comments I recently finished reading Mau VanDuren's "Many Heads and Many Hands: James Madison's Search for a More Perfect Union." The book explores Madison's international influences to write the Constitution, and sheds light on the origins of the virtues and rights Americans value so much. I'd love to know what fellow history buffs think.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica Maxwell, I was acquainted with the title from your comment, and now am eager to read it, but could need a few days.
I'm not certain this Goodreads book is still up and running. Maybe your comment will generate some interest. I would love to participate.

message 17: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 5 comments I just finished The Nightingale (follows the experiences of two sisters in German occupied France during WWII-fiction) and The Billion Dollar Spy (espionage during Cold War in Moscow -non fiction)
Currently suffering through this awful book (book of madness and cures) while I wait for my hold on Overdrive (any day!)

message 18: by Tom (last edited Jan 15, 2017 04:38PM) (new)

Tom Maentz | 2 comments The Reign in Spain Fall & Rise of the Spanish Monarchy by W. Kristjan Arnold
Check out 'The Reign in Spain' by Galician author W. Kristjan Arnold. This entertaining historical novel examines Spain's turbulent 20th century. Anyone interested in Spain, history, or politics will enjoy this read!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I'm reading The Hunt For Amelia Earhart: America's Greatest Search which I'm really enjoying so far. :) The whole mystery around Amelia Earhart's disappearance and the lengths people have gone to find her is fascinating.
description