You Imagine discussion

the writing process > what time of day is the best time to write?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan (stan72) | 5 comments Mod
4:00 a.m. before anyone else wakes up? Or 10:00 p.m. after everyone goes to bed? What works best for you?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 15 comments For me it's a variable thing. A routine I set up may work for a while, or for one project, but it can just as easily shift. What works perfectly today may not work tomorrow. It's important for me to stay in the moment with each day's writing and respond accordingly.

If I've learned one thing about my muse, it's that as loyal and committed as she is, she doesn't like to fall into a rut!

Having said all that, my preferred time is in the morning. My best time, though, is often in the afternoon!

message 3: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) i write better in the afternoon/night, cuz i'm awake, and nobody bothers me! ...except my younger siblings, but oh well

message 4: by C.j. (new)

C.j. | 1 comments Before I let myself sign online. LOL Once I do that I'm lost. So many emails, online marketing to do, blogging. What did I do before the Internet?
C. J. Parker

message 5: by David (new)

David | 5 comments I like to write with as little distraction as possible -- usually around 9am after the kids have gone to school and my wife has gone to work (on those days I don't have to work!) or around 9pm after the kids have gone to bed.

I definitely avoid the internet while I'm writing. I either work on one of my computers that's not internet enabled, or I turn off the WiFi switch on my laptop and take it somewhere pleasant to work.

message 6: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 205 comments Mod
My routine over the last few years has been surprisingly predictable, which is really saying something since I'm incredibly disorganized!

I usually get up early and write until ten o'clock-ish. Then I have breakfast, if my husband hasn't brought it to me. (He's great!) Then I write until around two o'clock when I get the urge to eat and go for a walk.

On my walk, ideas usually fall into place. If I don't have a pen and paper with me, (which I usually don't think to bring...) I dash into the nearby recreation club, grab a flier and pen and scribble notes on the back of it.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I do my best creative work at night when Hubby has gone to bed.

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty (ladylizzie) | 1 comments I am usually in more of a creative mood in the morning, but definitely after I've had my morning brew. I get tired by the end of the day and usually don't write at night, and if I do, I often end up changing it the next day. I guess I'm a morning person.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I write whenever I can get a moment alone, but I work mainly in the late morning when the kids are off to school and at night after the children are in bed and the world is at peace.
10 to 1am are my prime writing hours and I treasure every one of them.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hksnapp) Early morning before the world is too much with me, or late at night seem to be my most productive times. Any time I'm supposed to be doing something else is always appealing too!

♠BlueƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷFangs♠ (killinginnocent) | 1 comments I like writing when I'm all alone. The best enviroment for me to write is at night and when it's raining wildly. I get more inspires with rain.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynmeyergriffith) | 3 comments Vanessa,
I have been on this site for a while but have been too busy writing to say much...I have a new paperback (published book #10....11 and 12 coming out soon from The Wild Rose Press)EGYPTIAN HEART, an ancient Egyptian time travel romance out today.
Anyway, I like to write also when I'm all alone....with the TV on low, sitting in my front room, feet up in the recliner and my laptop in my lap; coffee hot in my cup. When I was younger I could write through a tornado but the older I get the more I need solitude. Kathryn Meyer Griffith

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Mostly alone usually later in the evening. I can hear myself think.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Best time to write? Usually whenever. I write when we have free time at school usually but right now during summer I write during my mom's planned Quiet Time to get us off our technology. It really helps ^-^

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

before bed when i'm all alone!

message 16: by Tate (new)

Tate | 4 comments Late, late, late at night. Like early morning territory.

For some reason the quiet and the darkness are just kinda inspirational to me.