Comfort Reads discussion

General > need a good book..

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments finished several kristin hannah books in a row.. and looking for a new read! everyone keeps saying read "the help" but ive never felt the urge to get it.
should i or shouldnt i??

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Hi Andrea, I say yes! The Help is one of my favorites from '09.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, read "The Help"!!!!! You can't miss.

message 4: by Shelly (last edited Mar 04, 2010 05:36AM) (new)

Shelly | 7 comments Hi, I am new here and I am not sure where to post this question, this loooked like a good place to try:

Where do you all get your books? Do you buy them, borrow from friends or the library?
And if you buy them do you keep them, sell them or give them away?

I ask because I am struggeling with what to do with mine. I am trying to declutter my house some and I have books I have read that I keep to read another day, books I want to read (I call them "books on deck.") and lots of reference and recipe books.
I like old books, some childrens books etc.

Just curious what everyone else is doing?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love paperbackswap, and I trade a lot there. It's only for the United States though, I'm not sure where you are from. I'm trying to control my buying this year.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I don't generally give books away, although I have sold a few that I really did not like to used bookstores. Generally, once I get a book, I keep the book (I know I have to declutter, but getting rid of books is like getting rid of an appendage, and, from my own experience, as soon as you get rid of a book, you end up either wanting to reread it or needing it for research etc.). As I don't presently have enough bookshelves at home, I have some books in boxes in an unused room. However, even that is a bit problematic (at least for me), because if I cannot see the book, I often forget I own it. Honestly, Shelly, before giving away, selling or donating any of your books, make absolutely sure that you really want to or need to do this (otherwise you might regret it later). Also, making a master list of the books you do have might be a good idea (I should do that myself, but organisation is not my strong point and drives me crazy).

message 7: by Teri (new)

Teri | 3 comments Since I lost my job last year I have not purchased a lot of books, I use the library. I am fortunate to have access to a wonderful public library where I can go online and request items and receive an email when they are ready for me to pick up. I have some books that I’ve read and I’ve been taking them to a local Really, Really Free Market once a month to share with others. I’ve considered attempting to sell them but I wasn’t sure it would be with the time and effort and it is rewarding to see the books go to someone who will also enjoy them.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I use the library, too. I only buy a book if I really liked it. Of course, I do have a few impulse buys now and again, and my small manga collection, but so far it's manageable. I tend to go through my books and take what I don't/won't read to the library for their book sale. My bigger weakness is buying dvds, which my husband keeps in checck. :)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments I like to mix it up. I buy some books and borrow some from the library. After lending my purchased books to local friends I send them to an out of town friend. She and her hubby read them and then she sells them at a flea market. At the end of the year she (very generously!!) sends me a B&N and the cycle begins again!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "I like to mix it up. I buy some books and borrow some from the library. After lending my purchased books to local friends I send them to an out of town friend. She and her hubby read them and then ..."

Okay, that's totally cool. I wanna' do that!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I used to buy many, many, many books, and I've held on to virtually all of them. For the last 15 or 20 years I mostly use the library. My library also has a system that allows me to put books on reserve and pick them up at the location of my choice. It's great! I still buy a few books, mostly cookbooks, although the library is getting more & more of those. I also bought the first two The Hunger Games books so I'll probably buy the third book as well, hopefully with some sort of discount.

message 12: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
I borrow about 95% of my books from the library, mainly fiction. I buy cookbooks and other non-fiction online because it is much cheaper. I often pick up classic fiction from library sales and thrift stores. Books I'm sure I don't want to keep I give away on bookmooch or donate to the Salvation Army.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my gosh! You guys are so well behaved. I shouldn't be here. I'm tainted. I buy waaaaaaay too many books. The only reason I'm controlling it at all is because Diane has threatened to smack me with a bookmark.

message 14: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Heehee, Christine, I think if I had unlimited funds there would be some serious book buying going on around here.

message 15: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 7 comments Well, I also mix it up. I borrow from the library and I buy used books from the library too- usually 25 cents to 1$ each. I occasionally will buy a book I know I want to read and I like the author, etc. I have started a new "thing," when I am at a store, browsing books I check the date it was pulished and if it isn't too new I look for it at the library.
I really hate to spend money on a book and then be disappointed with it.

I keep books I really like- otherwise it's like sending a good friend away! I have given some away that I now wish I had kept. One in particular was
"Good Grief" and to be honest, I bought it because I liked the cover!
Good Grief
I might go out and buy another copy.

I have not decluttered alot. I have a hard time parting with my books too. I love libraries and book stores! Even as a kid. I dont use those electronic books either- although I can see the benefit. All those books in one small place and portable!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Christine, Between the ages of 12 and 35 I literally often spent thousands of dollars a year on books. Luckily, I really enjoy the library now, just as much as I did when I was a kid.

message 17: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Christine, Between the ages of 12 and 35 I literally often spent thousands of dollars a year on books. Luckily, I really enjoy the library now, just as much as I did when I was a kid."

I buy or have bought way too many books as well, I'm not complaining, but I really have to watch myself, especially on Amazon with their "dangerous" book recommendations.

message 18: by Elhara (new)

Elhara | 19 comments Low Low funds lead me to use the library. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. My branch is accessible online to order, hold, state pickup location, keep track of how many others are waiting their turn to borrow a book that I want. I find these services incredibly generous for a fee of 0$. I'm not opposed new ways to enjoy reading, like Kindle. When finances look better I may check into it.

message 19: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yes, isn't it amazing how we can access all those library books from home? Ordering books is so much more convenient and user friendly now. I love it!

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments and about Bookmooch, Bookcrossing....

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Since this group is "Comfort Reads," I would like to recommend the G.M. Malliet series with St. Just as the featured character. They are reminiscent of Agatha Christie, whom I love and adore. There are 3 so far, and I've read the first two and love them.
Death of a Cozy Writer
Death and the Lit Chick: A St. Just Mystery
Death at the Alma Mater: A St. Just Mystery

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Christine wrote: "Oh my gosh! You guys are so well behaved. I shouldn't be here. I'm tainted. I buy waaaaaaay too many books. The only reason I'm controlling it at all is because Diane has threatened to smack m..."

Christine, I am so addicted to buying books that I am convinced it is a true addiction. I do occasionally use the library, but that doesn't put a dent in my book buying. I just want to own the books as well as read them. Of course, my multiple bookshelves are overflowing into baskets and piles. I have at least started to weed some. Oh well, perhaps I will one day be cured, but I doubt it.

message 23: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Heehee, I sometimes think GoodReads is like a giant, unrepenting Book Addicts Anonymous meeting. I don't think there's much hope for any of us no matter how we obtain our books.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Lee wrote: "Heehee, I sometimes think GoodReads is like a giant, unrepenting Book Addicts Anonymous meeting. I don't think there's much hope for any of us no matter how we obtain our books."

LOL, I agree, Lee.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 529 comments Yeah, but we're proud of our addiction!

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin I am truly addicted to books. My husband got so sick of the bookcases being full and piles and piles of books laying around that he broke down and bought me a Kindle. I love it! As for what I have done with my books: I keep my favorites in the bookcases (in case I want to reference something while reading somehting else). The rest are in big plastic bins in the attic. When my friends and family come over, they are free to rummage and borrow something. I love watching them do this, and they usually return them ;). I am keeping the books, though, so that when my kids are old enough to read them, they will have them. I must admit that I LOVE getting old books from my mom's bookshelves. Sometimes, those end up being some of my favorites!
Back to the original post....I LOVED The Help, but another great book that was published last year was the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Erin wrote: "I am truly addicted to books. My husband got so sick of the bookcases being full and piles and piles of books laying around that he broke down and bought me a Kindle. I love it! As for what I ha..."

Wow, I usually don't allow most of my books to be borrowed anymore (sorry, I had a few really good books that I lent to fellow graduate students that I have never gotten back, alongside my detailed notes of German literature, I wonder if whoever borrowed them is now using them as teaching material). I also have trouble keeping my books organised, I have some in storage, some in bins, some in piles on my bedroom floor and some in bookshelves. My main problem is that I usually cannot go into a bookstore without finding at least some books I want to (need to) read, and Amazon recommendations are dangerous as well. Also, because a lot of the books I want to and need to read are in German, my local library is not usually an option, I have to either purchase the book(s) or try to find them at a university library.

message 28: by Fran (new)

Fran | 21 comments Hi all, I am reading Emma and I find that I have to read it a bit slower than most books I have read. I am enjoying the book alot. This is the 1st Jane Austin book I have read. Did anyone else feel that way about their 1st experience reading Jane Austin books?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I started on Austen after I had watched Pride & Prejudice in 2005 (and loved it). I had tried P&P many years earlier and gave up, so your experience is probably like mine was. Except, don't give up like I did!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "I only attempted Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice) once, and had to stop a few chapters in. It's just ont my style of writing ... too wordy and old fashioned ... hurt my brain ... lol.
I love the m..."

That's how I felt when I was about the same as a you are! Maybe she'll snag you sometime in the future! :)

message 31: by Fran (new)

Fran | 21 comments Thanks, I am only on Chapter 9. I do feel like it is getting a little easier after about 10 minutes in to the book. I guess it just takes a while to get use to the style of writing. And yes Barbara, the movies were really good. Have you seen Becomming Jane? I thought it was really cute.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway and James MacAvoy. It came out maybe 2 years ago.

message 33: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Keeping track of my books is an ongoing nightmare-7 bookcases in my room plus 6 carrier bags to fall over. Urk. I get most of my books from charity shops thought you don't get much PNR or urban fantasy there so I buy them new at Waterstones. I get some in a second hand bookshop. If I like it, I keep it, if I don't or wouldn't be in a rush to read it again, most of the paperbacks are offered to other readers at bookcrossing.com and the hardbacks and other paperbacks go back to the charity shop.But as the books seem to be breeding I always have more coming in than going out!(shame!)

message 34: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lynn, I feel guilty because I have one bookcase full of unread books. I can't imagine having seven!

message 35: by Maude (new)

Maude | 479 comments I have WAY too many bookcases (32 or 36, I can't remember - some are small and in closets)and have just begun to get rid of a LOT of books. I will be donating many to the Cambridge Library here in Idaho which sounds impressive but is just a small, struggling library. They get books and I get a needed tax write-off. My goal is to get rid of three floor to almost ceiling bookcases. Many of these books belonged to my brother and mother who both died some years ago but made it emotionally hard to give up their books until now. However, I will be looking for books which I think would be of a historical nature and post them for Goodreads. And as a person who started off with only one bookcase, I think your books and bookcases are going to increase!

message 36: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 112 comments Andrea - I know this response is nearly two years since your original post, but wanted to recommend books based on your enjoyment of Kristin Hannah. I haven't read any of her, but am thinking if you enjoy her style, you may also enjoy things by Dee Henderson, Robin Jones Gunn, and Jodi Picoult.

message 37: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 112 comments To contribute to the discussion of where I pick up my books and what I do with them...

I am a bit of a self-proclaimed book snob. I like to own my books. Frequently I enjoy making comments in them or highlighting favorite quotes and such, so borrowing from the library can be problematic...they tend to frown upon defacing their property. ;o)

The books I buy are usually second hand from consignment shops like Goodwill and Half-Priced Books. For new books I tend to favor Barnes & Noble because I get coupons. If I really love a book, I'll pick up the audio version for my personal collection as well. Used audio can be difficult to find locally so I often purchase these new. If I want to just "try" an audio book pre-purchase then I'll see if I can get it from my local library.

A few years ago I went on a book buying rampage and bought books by any author I thought I might one day want to read. I was quite the shopaholic. Many were used, some were clearance finds. About two weeks ago I realized I had books that were 10 or 12 in a series without having the starting books as well as books I really have no interest in any more. I took the opportunity to clean out my personal library and offered to friends nearly 200 books! It was liberating and I am, surprised to say, still delighted with my decision to purge. (I, of course, immediately went out and bought a handful of new books to reward myself for the courage of giving up so many.)

My remaining 400 or so books are sorted and shelved by author's name. I admit I am spoiled and privileged enough to have space in our home for a room dedicated entirely to shelves and books. With my recently clean out, they now even all fit on the shelves!

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie Downing (connie1965) | 29 comments LOL I can relate! I had over 1200 books at home with no where to put anymore. Over the years I have been given many of them from family and friends and has a habit of going to auction sales where you could get a whole box of books for a buck. So I when through and sent over 100 novels to the soliders in Kandahuar, then gave authors to those who I knew collected them etc., I got rid of approx 500 and like you I promptly bought a few more LOL I actually ordered 3 new ones today but now I'm more pickey at what I buy. I'm also trying to read all the books that I own, not sure I'll ever get there, but its fun trying!!

message 39: by Roz (new)

Roz I used to read books from the library but it always took so long to get them. Somehow I always seemed to be number 200 on the waiting list. So I'd get them on my Kindle because it was much faster, but that can sometimes get expensive. Then my son came home for an extended visit (that means he lived with us for a while until he could find an apartment in New York while he goes to school) and he told me about AbeBooks (www.abebooks.com) for used and new books. Great site. I can get books $3.50 including shipping. Check it out. The house we live in now was my mother-in-law's (long story about how we ended up with it) but we have a few extra rooms so I think I'll convert one into a library. How cozy is that!

message 40: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Sounds great Roz! I'd love to have a few extra rooms devoted to books in my house. I feel lucky to have a few bookcases scattered around.

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Roz, having an actual library room would be awesome! I'm afraid to count my books, read and unread. The only rooms in my house without books are the bathrooms, and that's only because I'm picky and don't want my books in those particular rooms. I have three giant built-in bookcases with multiple slots and may smaller cases and baskets. I do borrow from the library some, but I have trouble waiting on new books from there, too. I want them immediately.

message 42: by Roz (new)

Roz I can understand not wanting books in the bathrooms. There's an old Seinfeld episode about books being "tagged" because they were read in that particular environment. I still have large bookshelves in rooms that have old books. I have a set of Book of Knowledge (Canadian version) that belonged to my mother from 1921. I can remember sitting in the basement growing up and reading them. They're wonderful. The only reason I have room now for a dedicated library is that the this house has 4 bedrooms and since my mother-in-law passed away in June we have more rooms than 2 people need, even when my two sons and a daughter-in-law come to visit for holidays. I plan on putting in a pull out couch in the "library" so we sitll have room for a guest. I don't know how many books I actually have. Many have been stored in the attic for a few years. It'll be like a treasure hunt when I finally get them all down.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Roz wrote: "I can understand not wanting books in the bathrooms. There's an old Seinfeld episode about books being "tagged" because they were read in that particular environment. I still have large bookshelves..."

LOL! Oh, yes the Seinfeld episode. Love Seinfeld! Enjoy your library, Roz.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 529 comments The bathrooms are the only rooms in our house that don't have bookshelves. Fear of damp exposure.