Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Current Events Discussion > If you wondered about Stephanie Meyers...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
This is a truly frightening discussion, and I think some of the commentators are correct. Once lots of people own e-readers, piracy will be far more of a problem than it already is.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Elsborg Yes it will. Unless some clever technical whizz can find a way to stop it. OH - and then some other clever technical whizz will find a way around it.

message 4: by Guido (last edited Feb 27, 2010 11:46AM) (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 54 comments Mod
I have no doubt that eBook piracy will become every bit as big an issue as music piracy, software piracy and movie piracy. The problem really is that people do not see digital content as something of actual value. The ongoing price discussions about eBook pricing are the perfect example. People do not think that it is fair to charge a price over $9.99 for eBooks because they feel without production costs they are entitled to cheaper product. This is just the beginning and it will get worse from here - much worse.

The industry as a whole - and authors - will have to take a long hard look at that and decide how to go forward. The current trend of indie authors to sell their eBooks for 99 cents or $1.99 is not a good idea, in my opinion, because they devalue their own properties and in the process create the expectation in people that eBooks should cost only 99 cents. Once that mindset has set in, there is no way to properly price eBooks in the future. One has to look only at the Apple AppStore to see how this "more sales through 99 cent apps" has practically destroyed the iPhone application business overnight. While everyone is pushing content out on the iPhone no one is making money off of it.

I am very much in favor of DRM as well, but I think it needs to be less clumsy and bothersome than it currently is. We need to find ways to protect content without penalizing those who purchased the content just to deter those who don't. If anything it needs to be the other way around.

message 5: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Guido,

Thank you for your thought-provoking comments. I'm going over to the DRM discussion to brainstorm that.

Thanks!