Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Could you stand and compute? Sitting is apparently bad for you...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 24, 2010 06:04AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/...

If I had a high enough table, I suppose I could stand and compute. But I'd have to lean over now, and that would mess up my back. What do you think?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I know how bad sitting is, and I feel it every day, but I'm not sure standing is an option.

message 3: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) My computer at work is on a high counter top so I have to either stand or sit in a tall bar stool type chair. Standing all the time, which I usually do, still makes my back hurt.

Books Ring Mah Bell If you are seated properly in a proper chair and your work is at the PROPER height... it's okay.
1.Your feet should be flat on the floor, and you should not be looking down or WAY up at your work.
2. get lumbar support - either with a nice chair, or pillow at your lower back.
3. DON'T SLUMP!!!

Standing is a great option - but make sure it's supported!
If you DO stand, it helps to put a foot up on a low stool, it takes the pressure off of your lower back.

If you are standing, make sure the work surface is at a height where you are not slouched over to do it.

Cushioned mats to stand on help.

Whatever you are doing (sit or stand) take breaks from that position and stretch.

Your rehab nerd,
Bells

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17305 comments Mod
I stand A LOT with my computer anymore as sitting has become less comfortable.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I sit at work most of the time, but I will get up every 3/4 to an hour to stretch. When I go to watch high school athletic events, I will stand off to the side for the most part because you can't just stand up anytime you may need to.

message 7: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Books Ring My Bell wrote: "If you are seated properly in a proper chair and your work is at the PROPER height... it's okay.
1.Your feet should be flat on the floor, and you should not be looking down or WAY up at your work. ..."

Its difficult for me to sit in a chair with my feet on the floor as I am vertically challenged ;) When I sit at my desk I usually have something to prop my feet on. I find this helps quite a bit

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i can't sit straight. i know it is bad for my back but i just can't. like flora i also need something to put my feet on.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments We had an ergonomic advisor come and adjust everyone's chairs and computers, so all my stuff is at the right height for me.

I get up a lot, to make tea, to talk to a coworker, to go to the bathroom, take my afternoon walk, etc.

I try not to slump, but I know I do.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I totally slump.

And thanks, Bells, nerd!

:)

message 11: by Mary (last edited Feb 24, 2010 12:56PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I am forever having to kneel on the floor to draw blood or start IVs because I forget to elevate the patient's bed before I start. At my age gettin back up from the floor ain't easy.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am becoming aware of how much I slouch/slump. I was just slouching in the coffee shop, right now. And I'm sitting straight and my back hurts a little now. Must practice and set the chair up closer to the counter.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yoga, RA. You need some yoga.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 28, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I did a yoga class at the Y, but the class consisted of twenty year old girls and me, and I felt all kinds of pervy.

Maybe I'll get a DVD.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

/nobody can make you feel pervy without your consent.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24188 comments Wisdom there.

message 17: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) RandomAnthony wrote: "I did a yoga class at the Y, but the class consisted of twenty year old girls and me, and I felt all kinds of pervy.

Maybe I'll get a DVD."

I found a really good book and a dvd and learned to do yoga at home. It has really made a difference in the way I feel and I don't have to worry about being in a class and feeling out of place.

message 18: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I would like to stand and work sometimes, but I don't have a tall desk or a counter to do that in the office. My solution to this is to get massages as often as I possibly can stand to pay for them.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

What were they, Flora?

I like Power Yoga with Rodney Yee.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

And the Crunch series, but I suspect those would also make RA feel pervy.

message 21: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments This thread reminded me of a FOAF story my brother-in-law told me awhile back. Supposedly Donald Rumsfeld preferred to work standing up and he refused to have any chairs in his office. He even had a desk designed for this purpose.

I started googling to see if such a thing was widely available and found one that i'm kind of in lust with: