Delirity discussion

Author C > Partholon - P.C. Cast

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 24, 2010 09:08PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Divine by Mistake (Partholon, #1) by P.C. Cast Divine by Choice (Partholon, #4) by P.C. Cast Divine by Blood by P.C. Cast

And the YA books: Elphame's Choice (Partholon, #2) by P.C. Cast Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #3) by P.C. Cast

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments My library has this in transit for me right now. Does anyone else just want to read this by the cover alone? It definitely stands out with the colors.

message 3: by Heather (new)

They repackaged it. It had come out years ago and went out of print from what P.C. Cast has said. They've repackaged and reprinted since her House of Night series made her famous.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) If I'm understanding correctly the books in this series are more a sorta stand alone but all based in the same period. I bought the second one not realizing there was a first one. I haven't bought this book yet but it is on my list to pick up!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Ya, there's a YA counterpart, and the adult books. I don't know if they blend, but I know they're all the same world.

message 6: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i do have this book but havent gotten around to reading it yet so with it being a group read i might just read it next

message 7: by Heather (new)

I've had it on my shelf since it came out. I needed the group read to motivate myself. I think I'll start this one next since I'll finally be done reading the library books that are at least due this week.

message 8: by Heather (new)

I read Ch. 1 on my break today and I have to say that it sounds just like P.C. Cast. That's her voice. It's just like listening to her speak.
She puts all of the people she knows into her books. The vampires in HON are all her fav. kids and the red fledglings are all her least fav. kids. The first kid she killed off in HON was the kid she wanted to strangle daily. Didn't even change his name. =) I'm curious to find out about her characters in this series.

message 9: by Heather (last edited Mar 08, 2010 10:17PM) (new)

The book is making me want to read more about Celtic mythology. I'm enjoying it.

***Spoiler***(DbM p.400)

I'm loving ClanFintan, but hating the name. I like that Cast has made a guy that's willing to help Shannon, rather than hold her back in fear of her safety. (Damn Vampires! They always seem to do the opposite.) =)
You can tell that Shannon has a lot of similarities to Cast. I love the mouth on her. Her sarcasm makes for an entertaining read. The Tit fairy? Really?
I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one that has an obsession with Pierce Brosnan. I do find it funny that he's recently played a centaur. Now I keep picturing him, sans hairy chest, as ClanFintan.
Also, why doesn't she remember to tell them to wear masks and some type of coverings on their hands while dealing with the sick? Having worked with nurses she should remember that.

message 10: by Heather (last edited Mar 08, 2010 10:19PM) (new)

It was fun. Her books always make me want to go back and pick up my Hamilton Mythology by Edith Hamilton . Maybe I will.

message 11: by Darcy (last edited Mar 10, 2010 08:29PM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I am in the middle of reading this one. I wasn't too sure for the first 35 pages or so, thought I would have to give it up. But then all of sudden I got sucked in. I love the snarky and scarcastic dialogue. I find myself laughing while I am reading it, a sign of a good book.

On a related note, I had it in my head this was YA book, and it is so not.

message 12: by Heather (new)

No, she has 2 books set in the same world that are YA, but this and 2 more are very much adult books.
Like you, I was a little unsure at first and then got sucked in. P.C. Cast's sarcasm is what makes her fun.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Which ones are the adult ones in the series?

message 14: by Heather (new)

The divine books. Elphame's Choice and Brighid's Quest are YA.

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I finished this one and part of what I really liked was the absurdness of it. Like when she would have her dreams she would start out with Batman, Superman, Tom Seleck, etc, it just seemed to give the book a lighter moment. I also liked how she would say normal slang to us and they wouldn't understand it, so she would have to explain and then they would start to use it.

I plan on continuing this series.

message 16: by Heather (new)

I do too. You can comment on other books here too because I'm going to make this a series read once the month is up. I'm just loving the Pierce Brosnan references. I use to love him (as long as his shirt stays on. That man has a scary chest.)
In one of her Goddess books she references Wilbur Smith. I love that she uses my fav. authors and people. I giggle whenever one of the kids at school mentions her Phantom of the Opera obsession now.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I did love how she would take stories set in our time or world and then change them to how they would fit her new world. There were just so many things to laugh about.

message 18: by Heather (new)

You should listen to her in person. I wish I had had her for an English teacher back when. I might have actually enjoyed English. She's crazy. In a good way...

The state of Oklahoma reads her first HON book their freshman year as part of a unit on prejudices. I think it's awesome that they allow the use of vampires to discuss the problems we have. Esp. since TX and some other states/communities have banned the book from their libraries.

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I think she would be a fun teacher, one who would definitely keep you interested. I think it is great that she is still teaching considering she could probably write full time.

message 20: by Heather (new)

She retired last year since she is now writing too much. But, I think it was the tour schedule and a crappy principal that set her over the edge.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Good for her. I will have to keep my eyes out to see if she ever comes to MN.

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I just finished reading all of these books and liked them. The ones that were re-branded as YA didn't seem YA. The world that they are in is a fun one. I wish she would write more in this series.