Chick Lit Writers discussion

Plot > Basic Plot

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I figured if any one wanted to throw out even the basic ideas of what they were working on they could do it on here. Ask for help and opinions. It is up to you how detailed you want to get.

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I am actually working on a memoir like book, but that right now isn't my primary focus.

I am not afraid parts of this are a little cliche after reading some of that other page, however, some of this I loosely based on my own life so it is true.

I believe my idea is a little different because it is from POV of both the woman and man. It also starts in the present and then is a series of flashbacks to reflect the history these to people have together.

I have a whole legal pad hand written but I have to get typing more, I am a serial editor...every time I write a new page I go back and completely rewrite it...until it is 3 pages longer.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I have a couple ideas but I haven't written anything down yet.

One of my ideas has to do with twins... about a girl who doesn't know she has/had a twin.

Another idea is about a teacher, sort of comparing how students in her class act versus how she was back when she was their age, and how much things have changed. Plus dealing with her own issues while seeing what kinds of things her students deal with. Sort of a YA and chick lit combination.

Obviously these are just early ideas. I haven't actually sat down and made outlines or anything yet.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I really like the teacher idea, I definitely haven't read a lot from that sort of POV.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Thanks Alicia :)

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
So I have made an outline so far...please tell me if you think it is too cliche or has been done to death...

My story is about a girl whose boyfiend (the man she thinks she's destined to marry) breaks up with her the night before she has to get on a plane and travel across the country to her first trade show with her company..she's convinced her life is over over over....

After her friends perk her up a bit she vows to set out to meet the man of her dreams no matter what it takes!

The next part of the story proceeds to go thru all the crazy ways she tries to meet people, from joining a Buddhist church, to attending Alcoholics Anonymous, to going on a reality dating show, to joining eharmony or match.com and doing LunchDates or Speed Dating...

When she still comes up with no one...having met only crazy men...she decides to give up...until she noitices the man at work who does their daily deliveries and why has she never noticed him before??

Something happens to thwart their being together and she realizes that she needs to learn to be happy on her own, to be more independent and that it won't take a man to make her happy...through which she grows as a person and character....

In the end, I haven't decided if she ends up with the guy or not...

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Cathy wrote: "So I have made an outline so far...please tell me if you think it is too cliche or has been done to death...

My story is about a girl whose boyfiend (the man she thinks she's destined to marry) ..."

I think that sounds great. It sounds like a book that I would love to read.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Thanks Tara, that's really nice of you to say...I worked really hard on the outline and character sketches after reading See Jane Write but then feeling self conscious never got past writing the first paragraph...maybe it's time to pick the pen back up..(or open the laptop...whatever)

message 9: by Cathy (new)

I took a Creative Writing Course in college but I have no idea where my stories are...

i was in college during the time Winona Ryder was busted for stealing from Barneys (or Saks or whatever store)...so I know one story I wrote was about a female kleptomaniac...

my computer from college has long since died so i think it's a lost cause

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara I know what you are saying Cathy. I have noidea where my writings are. I haven't written anything since high school....I think. Well college I did but that wasn't very much. Hmmmm....I better get thinking on a story line.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I think your idea sounds fun Cathy. I don't think it is overdone, since you picked some different things--like joining a Buddhist church and AA.

I have never taken a creative writing class, just regular English classes. I want to take an actual novel writing class but I'm kinda broke right now, and also I'm already in school and don't have time!

The last time my mom was at the library, she brought home a pamphlet she found there, offering different writing classes. Have any of you checked at your libraries for something like that? I didn't end up going to any, but I'm hoping they'll offer more. I think they are free! Only problem for me is, I can't get a library card since I live in unincorporated, so I use my mom's card. I am not sure they will let me take the class. But I'm going to try!

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Great idea about checking the library...or near me ther are many community education adult classes...It;s my dream to tak Kristin Harmel's online chick lit writing course...but it's like 600+ dollars...yikes...

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Suzanne wrote: "I think your idea sounds fun Cathy. I don't think it is overdone, since you picked some different things--like joining a Buddhist church and AA.

I have never taken a creative writing class, just..."

I would like to take a novel writing class to Suzanne. I will check my library and see if they have any classes. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara Cathy wrote: "Great idea about checking the library...or near me ther are many community education adult classes...It;s my dream to tak Kristin Harmel's online chick lit writing course...but it's like 600+ dolla..."

That sounds like it would be fun but not for $600.00. YIKES!

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Tara wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Great idea about checking the library...or near me ther are many community education adult classes...It;s my dream to tak Kristin Harmel's online chick lit writing course...but it's l..."

I agree--sounds fun, but not for $600!

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I like your idea Cathy...I actually met my husband through eHarmony so if you need any information on the joys and horrors of online dating let me know.

I have a BA in English. I took creative writing classes in high school and college. I won an award in high school for a very Nicholas Sparks-like tearful short story (so corny now that I think about it). I also got nominated for an award in college and didn't win (LAME). I was also stupid in college and didn't back up my work..and my computer crashed. I have print outs of somethings but the rest is toast (so sad). I do have a bunch of writing from when I was a kid and all my old journals.

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Alicia--There is this girl who blogs about all the old stuff she wrote when she was younger, including stories and her journals. It is hilarious!! I wish I had kept my stuff!!

Once in high school, we had a writing assignment and they picked the person with the best story to go to a writing class. My story won. Well, years later I was wondering whatever happened to that story because I liked it. Well, my mom found it! Then...I lost it again!! haha

I backed up some stuff in college but not everything, and I wish I had. Although I doubt I'd be able to open any of it on any current computers anyway! I mean, I am not that old, but we didn't have flash drives back then. ha

message 18: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) When I was in school they kept 1 piece of our writing from kindergarten to high school and gave us the folder on our last day of high school. Looking at the stuff now is the funniest thing ever. I should find some of it.

My journals are my absolute favorite....they are so stupid....in case anyone ever needs a recap of what happened on the tv show Lois & Clark in 90's...let me know, my former preteen self was quite enamored with Dean Cain and always did a play by play of the episode.

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Cathy - your idea sounds great! I'd love to read it either when you're done or during the process!

Alicia - I guess you could say I sort of have a memoir. I started writing a journal on loose leaf notebook paper when I was about 13. At one point, I transferred all of that to a computer file. However, it is saved on a really OLD laptop that I've lost the power cord to. I refuse to get rid of the laptop because I want that file. I think I'm going to have to call Best Buy's Geek Squad. I tried putting it on a floppy (yes, it's that old) and bringing it up on a newer computer but the newer software couldn't read the older software. GRRRR!

message 20: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I am working on a cinderella type story. I have been kind of stuck in the middle of it now. I have survived my computer crashing 3 times and am still progressing.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Do you have a memory stick? Or even easier - do you email it to yourself occasionally? I have lost so much work and music because of computer crashes!! Painful...sounds really intersting btw, the cinderella theme - hope we get to hear some of it someday!

message 22: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I do have a memory stick. I learned after the first crash. I did lose all of my music. I learned the most important thing is to be able to write.

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I had an idea this morning for a YA book, and was wondering if I could get some opinions (good or bad). I was thinking of writing a YA book where the main character has a disability. It wouldn't be the main subject of the book, it would just be a part of who they are. It would be like a regular YA character dealing with whatever issues (dating, school, etc) except that in addition to that, they have some kind of disability. Any thoughts? Would people want to read about that? I kinda got the idea after reading the book North of Beautiful, and from books like Lurlene McDaniel's, that I used to love reading as a kid (her books dealt with diseases). Maybe this is too controversial? Or I should stick with what I know??

message 24: by Cathy (last edited Mar 04, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Sounds like an awesomne idea! I have a brother who was born 80% deaf and he definitely had a lot of hurdles to get thru...but let me tell you he has always been and continues to be a ladies man...so he has all kinds of disability as well as dating stories..you could prob research it online...he is also on a morning Radio Show in Syracuse (as the sidekick, DJ DeafGeoff)...the website is www.hot1079.com...he has many social network links on their radio show page...maybe it will give you some ideas...

But I love the idea regardless...it's unique

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Thanks for the response Cathy! I will have to look up your brother's radio show. I am studying speech language pathology, so a deaf character was one of my ideas.

message 26: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Me too, Syracuse is right by me.

Suzanne, have you ever watched Glee? There is a character in a wheel chair. There is an episode where they realize they never take him into consideration when traveling to events, therefore his dad always drives him and he never gets to go the bus with the rest of the glee club. There is also a great episode with a deaf glee club and they sing Imagine...got chocked up at that one.

I think it is a great idea.

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Yes, I LOVE Glee! One of my favorite shows! I got a little chocked up when I saw that episode with the deaf glee club too. It's such a great show.

message 28: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Suzanne wrote: "I had an idea this morning for a YA book, and was wondering if I could get some opinions (good or bad). I was thinking of writing a YA book where the main character has a disability. It wouldn't be..."

I think this is a great idea Suzanne!! Since it's not typical for chick lit, I think it would definately catch a few eyes in a publishing house.

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara Great idea Suzanne! I would definitely be interested in reading a book like that.

message 30: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I am so torn right now. I have a fiction novel planned out (partially) and I think the idea is good but it is very dramatic and so far not a light read. I also have random writings for a memoir. The memoir is obviously more my style (cuz hello I am writing about myself). I think the stories I have are funny for them, but I have a lot of topics and they are all over the place. More David Sedaris then Jen Lancaster in that aspect. I guess I am wondering if I write the memoir where do I go from there? Just thinking out loud. Comments and questions are welcomed.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

I don't think a memoir has to be in any order or any particular theme...I am currently listening to Chelsea Handler's first memoir My Horizontal Life (which I guess is themed based on one night stands) but other than that it's a pretty random collection that jumps to different times in her life...

same with Jen Lancaster really..I mean it's kinda chronological but she jumps back and forth to different memories and times in her life too...

I'm sure a funny memoir of your life would turn out great...maybe start brainstorming a way to pull it together, either by a title, theme if you think it would be more fitting but I think just the fact that it will be a humorous memoir is enough to tie it together..

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I agree with Cathy. I've read 3 of Jen Lancaster's books and she jumps around to different times in her life when she tells her stories. I don't think it necessarily has to be in a certain order. Maybe you could make each chapter a different time/theme and then it wouldn't matter if the different stories were in order.

If you are more comfortable writing the memoir, I'd start with that.

message 33: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments So I have been thinking about it and doing a little research, and I've decided I'm going to try my idea of a YA book with the main character having a disability. I have a basic outline and character names, and I plan to work on it a little over the next week to see how things go once I get started. THANK YOU to everyone for all your help and support and advice! I think this group is exactly what I needed. I'll be sure to thank you all in my book if it ever gets published. ;) haha.

message 34: by Cathy (new)

Same here..I will defintely thank all of you!

So I finally got my first chapter down!...but I'm working in a totally round about way..I have a semi started/not completely finsihed outline and character sketches...and some chapters are more researched than others...but I guess I gotta start somewhere...

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Cathy wrote: "Same here..I will defintely thank all of you!

So I finally got my first chapter down!...but I'm working in a totally round about way..I have a semi started/not completely finsihed outline and c..."

That is so exciting! Good job! I read what you posted and I like it so far. Do you know if everyone can read what you posted, or just your friends? I am kinda nervous about sharing my work (esp. in the beginning) to everyone in the world, but I wouldn't mind sharing it with our group.

message 36: by Cathy (new)

I asssume only my friends can read what I posted cause I'm pretty sure I set my profile that way...let me know if not...cause I"m not really into having the whole world read my stuff either..thanks btw! Much appreciated...it's funny cause after I posted it I started to have second thoughts about it (mostly just feeling insecure) so thanks!

message 37: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I will have to check my profile to see how mine is set up. I wouldn't mind my friends reading my stuff, but I definitely don't want the whole world to see it.

I started writing last night. I think I have around 1800 words so far and it's total crap. ha. But I am going to keep writing and worry about editing it later.

message 38: by Tara (new)

Tara Good Suzanne. At least you have something. I keep procrastinating every night. I think the weather is finally getting to me. We are in the 60's this week but I am ready for warmer weather. It has been a long winter.

message 39: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I am very much in a reading/writing rut. I don't know what my problem is, but I need to get going. I think I am going to focus on both a fiction and memoir like story. The memoir is easier for me to write so I really need to devote more time to my fiction writing.

message 40: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Alicia you can do it! I know you will find the path. Look forward to reading it soon.

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily (teaandscribbles) | 13 comments Alicia I am finding myself in the same place of a rut. I want to, but it is so hard to get going sometimes. Like I want to sit down and write and then when you can you just can't do it so you procrastinate on something else. That is me at least.
Anyone else have this issue and ideas of how to get going again.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I am the worst procrastinator, so I can relate. This group has definitely helped motivate me. Also, one night I just got out my laptop and a notebook and started writing whatever I wanted. I didn't follow any rules or guidelines at first--I think that would stress me out. Plus, you can always go back and "fix" things later. I think it helped me get started. Not sure if it'll help anyone else, but I think the best thing to do is just try and see what happens, without pressuring yourself too much.

message 43: by Cathy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I am the worst procrastinator, so I can relate. This group has definitely helped motivate me. Also, one night I just got out my laptop and a notebook and started writing whatever I wanted. I didn't..."

Great advice Suzzanne...I think we are our own worst critics and we need to just forget about judgin our work or wanting it to be perfect and just sit down and write. Maybe even just commit to writing 2 pages a night or 500 words. Anything small so it doesn't feel so overwhelming and then scare you off of doing it int he first place. I wrote some last week but once again found myself in that same rut this week...its definitely hard to do...but maybe I"ll even try to take my own advice:) Much luck ladies!

message 44: by Cathy (new)

Just saw this post via Twitter; figured it could apply to all fiction!

6 Vital Signs of a Healthy Plot

http://beyondthemargins.com/2010/11/p...