Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > Weird Questions People Ask You/You've asked/You've Heard Asked

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 23, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was on slate this morning and I saw this question on their little manners column:

Second Tour: I am a US Soldier getting ready to come home from my second tour. Occasionally I get asked an infuriating question: "Did you kill anyone?" No, I have never killed anyone and hope to God I never have to. I am quite happy being a helicopter mechanic. Prudie, would you please get the word out that asking a service member if they have ever killed anyone is terribly inappropriate and just downright rude?

Emily Yoffe: I am happy to help you spread this word. When you get asked this question, please feel free for the sake of your fellow soldiers, to say that this is not a subject people in the armed services want to discuss casually, so you will decline to answer and you hope the questioner will respect the uniform enough not to ask it of others. And thank you for your service.

http://www.slate.com/id/2245630/

Who in the hell would ask that question? Ok, maybe I would, if I was drunk and knew the person really well. I have shitty manners, apparently. And that got me thinking...what weird/inappropriate questions have you asked/been asked/heard asked?

Sometimes I get weird teaching questions. "Teaching is pretty easy, right?" Dude, come do my job for a couple weeks. You'll see how easy it is. Put on a fucking show for hours a day. Motherfucker. Or "How come kids don't know how to read today?" Jackasses. Check the research. That's not true. I try to keep that in mind before I make assumptions about others' fields now.

And...you?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m from the south, and my wife is from teh east. Once when she was visiting me, we were at K-Mart or something. She asked a worker there where something was. He stopped, looked at here and said; “You talk funny – where you from?” She wasn’t offended, and we laughed about it later, but if he really wanted to know, that wasn’t the best way to go about it.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I get asked about my race pretty often in different ways and by different people. This includes a cop when I was pulled over. In the South it's a big issue...apparently. I grew up in the US and I'm half Mexican and half white American from MO. I was asked recently, "What are you?" and I answered with a frustrated "I'm an American."

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments One very common yet inappropriate question is, "when are you two going to have kids?" (usually asked of a young married couple). I was in my mid-30s when I married, and had heard many variations on the, "don't you want to have kids?" theme by that time.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Phil I agree,
I find now that I've turned 30 more and more people are asking me when we are going to have kids. I find it really rude and annoying especially coming from strangers.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments It's weird to be asked "When are you due?" when you aren't pregnant.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) That whole kids thing is just weird. Having a uterus does not obligate one to reproduce.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I was shocked how often people asked me "did you guys plan this pregnancy?" What the fuck is that?

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Seriously?? When did people get so stupid and rude? I would never dream of asking anyone such a personal question.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Like, how is that their business, anyways!?

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I find that the best response to such questions is a puzzled "Why would you ask me that?"

message 12: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) If I were that soldier in the letter, I'd have given the questioner the stink eye and said, "Not yet."

When I was in college and told people I was an English major, they invariably asked, "So you're going to teach?" Because apparently that's the only thing you can do with an English major. The ability to read critically and write coherently actually serves me in many areas of life, including having worked in the legal field for seven years.

No one asks me when I'm going to have kids, but people keep asking me when I'm going to buy a house. I always want to ask in return, "Are you going to pay for it?" They don't seem to understand that I don't want a house or a mortgage payment or property taxes or to have to mow the lawn. I like paying my rent and having someone else take care of all the heavy lifting. And since I'm single and childless, it's not like I need to amass an estate to leave to anyone.

Rumble rumble snurgh.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Misha wrote: " I always want to ask in return, "Are you going to pay for it?"

That's actually a pretty good answer for "When are you going to have kids?", too.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

If I didn't marry a homeowner, Misha, I would be a forever renter myself. I don't see the benefit of taking on a 30 year mortgage just to be able to pay for all repairs and replacements on the damn thing forever.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

And mortgage is the weirdest word: mort gage? I just say morgage or mortage. I don't know how that phoneme /tg/ should come into play.

message 16: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I call my better half my husband because we've been together for 12 years. We always get "are you ever going to get married?" and "when are you going to start having kids?"

My answer is: "When we get around to it!" and "NEVER!"

Then I get "why don't you want kids?" I don't feel like I have to justify why I don't want kids so I just tell them there are many reasons...which there are.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Misha wrote: "When I was in college and told people I was an English major, they invariably asked, "So you're going to teach?" Because apparently that's the only thing you can do with an English major. The ability to read critically and write coherently actually serves me in many areas of life, including having worked in the legal field for seven years."

i get that question too. my answer: never. when you're not convinced about your teaching abilities or your desire to teach it's better not to. at least all the teachers i know understand that.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sally wrote: "I was shocked how often people asked me "did you guys plan this pregnancy?" What the fuck is that?"

Heh. Like what are you going to say?

"No, man, we got CRAZY drunk one night, and I was like, 'goddamn it, can't you find the condoms?' and he was like 'no', and I was like, 'forget it, let's do it.'"

message 19: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments My un-favorite question of these past 9 months has gone something like this:

OMG! Where's the baby???!?? You're so tiny!

For the record, no one had ever called me "tiny" before I got knocked up.

WTF! I'll tell you where the baby is....! Lemme just lean on you over here and it will kick you for me!

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like that answer.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments today on an elevator full of people, the elevator stops on the second floor, the doors open and a guy is standing there and asks "is this going up to the 1st floor?"

the question totally froze me. everyone just looked at him and the doors just closed leaving him standing there. a guy turned to me and says "WTHeck (didnt say heck) was he talking about?"

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That was a test, Kevin. You all passed.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments :) we all had the eyeball bulge, eyebrow raise double take look

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Excellent.

That's like when you ask someone, while looking at the tires on their car, "Did you know that one of your tires is both the same?"

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Larry wrote: "Excellent.

That's like when you ask someone, while looking at the tires on their car, "Did you know that one of your tires is both the same?""

HAHAHA!! And what did you say to that?!

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Sally wrote: "I was shocked how often people asked me "did you guys plan this pregnancy?" What the fuck is that?"

"Did you guys plan this pregnancy?"

Yep. Want to know what position we used?