Oly Reads discussion

Assorted & Sundry > A little something I made for Oly Reads...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Feb 23, 2010 01:47AM) (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian)

I'm taking a class in Javascript this term, and I made a little Greasemonkey script that will automatically search the TRL catalog from any Goodreads book page, and if that book is found, display a little unobtrusive link showing the number of copies currently checked in and the number of pending hold requests.

It searches by the ISBN only for that specific edition, so it's less than ideal for older books with numerous editions, but works great for recently published books. If you run into any bugs or other issues, please let me know.

If you already have Greasemonkey*, you just need to click through the link below to preview the script and then click the install button:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/69724

* If you aren't familiar with Greasemonkey, you first need to be using the Firefox browser (Chrome will probably work too, although I haven't tested it). And then install the Greasemonkey add-on before you install the script.

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Nelson (epersonae) | 34 comments This is AWESOME. :)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Brian, I downloaded the greasemonkey add-on. How 'bout giving us a little demo at bookgroup. Or if you aren't going to be there maybe someone else can. I did add the Timberland userscript, too, but not sure where to go from here.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Nelson (epersonae) | 34 comments Kate, if you have installed greasemonkey and brian's script, go to any individual book page on goodreads: you should see the TRL status as shown in Brian's screenshot.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Yes, there it is! great little addition

message 6: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!!!

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) The migration to the new system is going to break this script any time now, but I'll try to post an updated version sometime this weekend if the new catalog is up and running and if I can figure out the necessary changes...

message 8: by Agathafrye (new)

What, you haven't figured it out already? Kidding. It's a great little script, I hope you can rescuscitate it.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) It's coming along (no thanks to Qwest and my shoddy Internet connection), but it'll probably be another day or two.

If everything goes according to plan, it'll now automagically do combined author and title searches when the ISBN isn't found, rather than the annoying "try another edition" message.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate I like that, automagically

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Okay, new version's up, and only a week later than I had promised.

If you still have the old, broken version installed, you probably want to uninstall it first. You'll probably have a happy monkey icon at the bottom right of your browser. Right click on it and select "Manage User Scripts..." In the list of scripts, select the old script and click the "Uninstall" button.

Then you're all set to install the new version here:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/6...

The new version is a little more flexible, so no more clicking through editions to find the exact one TRL owns. I hope it'll work that way, at least.

Please let me know if the script hangs, gives you an error message, or tells you something's not found at TRL when you know for a fact they have a copy...

message 12: by Agathafrye (new)

Awesome possum! Thanks, Brian.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Well, poo, Goodreads changed their code. Not sure where I'll have the time to get this thing working again, but I'll keep y'all posted...

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian (nerdbrarian) Fixed! Goodreads just changed the name of a div I refer to in the script, so a simple fix. Means you'll have to update your copy though...

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Got it and it works! Thanks