Challenge: 50 Books discussion

book recommendation for a friend

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments I have a friend who just "matched" for her internship, which means she's about to work for a hospital as the last part of her training for a Ph.D. in counseling psychology. I want to buy her a couple books to read as a congrats, but am at a loss for what.

She likes a lot of stuff but has been reading a lot of young adult literature - mostly the vampire/fantasy series (Blue Bloods, Twilight, House of Night something or other, the Van Allens series blanking on the name..etc). Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

erin

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa How about one of the Sookie Stackhouse series of books by Charlaine Harris? They seem very popular and are along the vampire line. I believe the general premise is that Sookie (the main character) has the ability to read minds except for vampires, so she chooses to spend her time working and living around them. It is also the basis for the True Blood TV series on HBO. Here is the authors website.
http://www.charlaineharris.com/

message 3: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments ohh I didn't think about those. I've read them all, but don't know if she's started them yet.

message 4: by Lise (new)

Lise (verloen) | 16 comments You also have Morganville Vampires, Blood Ties, Vampire Academy, etc. And some which is adult; Night huntress, Argeneau Vampires. If you want to stay at the paranormal, but away from vamp-lit you also have The Weather Warden series. It's not YA, but it's the same author as Morganville Vampires. And The Immortals (YA).
And Michelle Rowen has a series called Immortality Bites. More light hearted, fun chick-lit with a little bit of everything paranormal I think.

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but it's at least something.

Good luck.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

erin wrote: "I have a friend who just "matched" for her internship, which means she's about to work for a hospital as the last part of her training for a Ph.D. in counseling psychology. I want to buy her a cou..."

You should give her the "His Dark Materials" series by Philip Pullman, starting with The Golden Compass.
These are beautiful, beautiful stories.

-Sea
http://www.readingwithsea.wordpress.com

message 6: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) There's always the Night World Books by LJ Smith. There are 3 volumes with 3 books in each volume. They are about everything from the nightworld...vampires, werewolves, witches etc

message 7: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 345 comments Some that I like are the Immortals series by Alyson Noel, the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine, the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, the Evernight series by Claudia Gray, and the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. Hope that helps you!

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments How about something different? Something magical without the scary monsters? Except the human type... Pretty much any book by Alice Hoffman. She's at the stage of her life where I picked up my first & fell in love with the poetry in her writing & her perspective on human nature.