Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
I wish I lived in NYC so some food could be delivered.
I'm normally a maniac about the benefits of slow food, cooking for ourselves, eating what's in the pantry.
But I'm sick, and grouchy, and just want to eat, something, now.
Delivery in Fort Collins is such a stupid, overpriced, rigamarole. Only chain restaurants deliver, for one, and the food is usually cold when it gets here, two, and it just costs more than it's worth to get it.
Those of you who have ever lived in/spent time in New York City is it true that you can have most anything delivered most any time of day?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 20, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You know, that reminds me, every now and then someone from a big city mentions...Pink Dot? Red Dot? Some place that delivers a bunch of stuff. Am I hallucinating, or does that place exist? What is it?

Because there's some distance between towns only the local restaurants deliver, and not even all of them do. But man, I remember living in Chicago, and it was like the world was at your delivery fingertips. And yes, I remember being so broke in the winter but if we splurged for a delivery pizza or something...man...that was the greatest feeling, opening your door on a snowy night to find a kickass pizza waiting for you.

I would usually walk for the Thai and Mexican, though, because those places were only a block or two away. Great memories, really, unexpected, of walking through a silent snowy night for Thai food the one time a week or month we could afford it.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I used to hate the proliferation of menus all over our doorsteps in Chicago but now I miss them.

Thanks, Buns...I just looked them up and they seem to be based in LA...makes sense...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The only food that delivers in Olympia is pizza and dreadful Chinese food.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jimmy John's. Or pizza.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 20, 2010 04:15PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A Jimmy John's stands about 300 yards from where I work. I fantasize about them shooting sandwiches from a bazooka directly into my office.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I could eat pizza again tonight. I don't care that I had it four out of seven days last week.
Working the YA desk all day on a Saturday wears me out, I really don't feel like doing much cooking right now.
But, I'll probably go home and make an omelet.

message 8: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Jackie - I agree about the lack of quality Chinese food in Olympia, or really much Chinese food at all. There's lots of Thai and Happy Teriyaki restaurants seem to have reproduced like rabbits, but where's the Chinese?

There also seems to be a dearth of good mom-and-pop pizza joints. Vic's is fabulous, but the hours suck.

/gripe

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's true, there's not much that's open late in Olympia, except the bars on the weekends, Misha.
Vic's IS fabulous, I totally agree!

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So do I!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In Baltimore, there are lots of sub shops and pizza places run by Indian or Nepali families, with the result that we can get pizza AND Indian food delivered.
We have terrible Chinese delivery (the food being the terrible part, not the delivery) with the finest menu copy in the land. Places like "Eat Must Be First" and "Never on Sunday" and "Neighbor's Kitchen", all of which make Babelfish work overtime.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
**starts researching a move to Baltimore**

I can only imagine how happily, gloriously fat I would be if I could have Indian food delivered to me any time I want.

**drools**

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'd love to move to NYC for just a year, to go see all the museums, and sites, and shows, and to be able to order food in.
Wouldn't that be fun?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You should start a librarian exchange program.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.