Drizzt Do Urden discussion

The Pirate King. A century later? (possible spoiler if you haven't finished The Orc King)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Okay, so I just finished The Orc King, and in the Epilogue it says that the events of the book were a century ago.

I start The Pirate King and read the flap description and learn that it is about Captain Deudermont. I flip through the pages to see if I see any of the main character names and spotted Regis. Sooo, where exactly does this book fit in the time-frame? With the first book ending a century after the Dwarven/Orc Treaty, wouldn't the main characters—minus Drizzt and possibly Bruenor—all be gone? or did they all drink some elixir of immortality that I didn't hear about.

This is really nagging at me.

message 2: by tiailds (new)

tiailds I only thought the first and last few chapters were in the future. The rest is in the "present". Was showing the future to show what results would occur, or was it going to show what will happen from now on?

message 3: by Shawn (last edited Feb 20, 2010 06:54AM) (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Well, the Prologue and Epilogue are just intro and conclusion chapters. Nothing from the Drizzt series would lead me to believe that Salvatore would out of nowhere start talking about hypothetical future events—without telling us he was doing so.

I could be wrong though. It wasn't really clear.

message 4: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Orc king's prologue and epilogue were a hint of what was going to happen. Pirate King is like... a month after the events of the orc treaty. Ghost king leads up to the current situation of what's happened from the epilogue/prlogue. No idea why he did that honestly. But maybe it was just a start off to get readers into the book.

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Oh, okay thanks Kataury. That was really bothering me, and it is quite confusing when transitioning between the first two books.

message 6: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments Hmm I can see the confusion, Thank you all here for the explanaition i thought he had just ended it with what he did in the ghost king, I was like wtf is it just done now, He is coming out with a new one so i am now glad! If i spoiled anything in my post here sorry, i dont think i did but sorry if i did

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Nah you didn't spoil anything Gróin. After Kataury informed me that the Epilogue in The Orc King is the end result of The Ghost King, I'm assuming that at the end of this trilogy the main characters—minus Drizzt and Bruenor possibly—will be gone.
Salvatore has signed a new six-book deal (all Drizzt related) with Wizards. I wonder though, how good it will actually be since everyone will be gone. I don't know, maybe it will be like a fresh start with all new characters. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Won't be til next year I'm pretty sure.

message 8: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments ...... this makes me sad indeed!! But he did just write ghost king only what... 5 months ago? so thats understandable but still, I am wondering how this new 6 book deal will go, I sure as all hell hope it works, These have been my favorite books for the past 7 years!

message 9: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Yeah I know what you mean. He was the first fantasy author I was introduced to, back with his first book The Crystal Shard. There is a lot of other great authors out there though to help the time pass. I have soo many books I have to read haha. However, I still have The Sellswords trilogy and the Saga of the First King series to read, soo I will still be with Salvatore for awhile.

If you don't have anything left of his to read I'd recommend checking out Paul S. Kemp's two trilogies about Erevis Cale.

message 10: by Kataury (new)

Kataury I've been actually reading him currently. He's pretty good. You can tell that Salvatore helped introduce him to forgotten realms writing but he's got a good story to build on.

message 11: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments Yeah, I really enjoyed his work. Too bad he's no longer with Wizards though. So savor those six books, unless you want to read his Star Wars stuff.

message 12: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Quite. They've been pretty good so far.

message 13: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments o yes I have read his first book, I thought it was very good, i bought the second but i am busy with terry brooks, robert jordan, and tad williams. I have some more of Salvatores work i need to indulge into but i have SO many new books it will take FOREVER, but it will be well worth it!

message 14: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 9 comments To the few that are interested in Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale books—to which I alluded to earlier about he and Wizards disbanding—the next series will be coming out after all!!! Paul and Wizards have settled whatever dispute they had, and he will once again be writing for them!

Just thought I'd share that.

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) The prologue and epilogue of The Orc King are set in 1479 DR, but the rest of the book is in 1371. The Pirate King starts a few years later and ends in 1377, and The Ghost King picks up about eight years later in 1385. So, a few years pass, but The Orc King's framing story aside, they are in sequence.

Gauntlgrym will begin in the Year of True Omens. Realms scholars, start digging!

message 16: by Stephen light (last edited Sep 11, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments Oh I cannot wait for Gauntlgrym!! Only 1 more month too!!!