Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Has anyone read A Touch Of Dead? (short stories with Sookie)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) A Touch Of Dead is 5 short stories with, of course, Sookie. Stories in between books, etc.
I finished it last night.
I liked it, even though some aren't long enough (from my point of view). And maybe there's a few incoherence with the books.
Has anyone else read it? What did you think of it?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read it. I liked it...but you just need more Sookie, I agree with you. It was good but not great and I can't wait for the next Sookie book to come out!

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I did and enjoyed them -- but to me the beauty of the sookie books is the depth of the character development and the unfolding of the story -- not enough of that in the short stories. But it was nice to have the background on her cousin.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) I can't wait as well! Charlaine Harris' website says it's coming out on May 4th, 2010.
The first chapter was not enough to guess what will be the storyline... Except maybe the part where we learn that Amelia leaves and where Sookie tells her that she actually loves Eric...
Gosh, I hope you read it... If not, here's the link
http://www.charlaineharris.com/DITFCh...

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) Regina wrote: "I did and enjoyed them -- but to me the beauty of the sookie books is the depth of the character development and the unfolding of the story -- not enough of that in the short stories. But it was n..."

I liked that too. It explains how she met Claude. And it tells us something more about Claudine.

I kinda liked the last one when Niall sends her "a Christmas present"... That would be after she drank Eric's blood. But was it before they got "engaged" with the knife? If it was after, it wouldn't be totally in harmony with the books, since Sookie said she was going to be faithful to Eric... Or something like that...

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Alex I really that story too. :)

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 28 comments I like the Christmas Present too. It killed a little time while waiting for Dead in the Family. Did anyone read that excerpt from it? I was about to but I think I want to wait for the book.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am waiting. I don't want to go crazy with anticipation.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I read it and loved it.

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) | 29 comments I loved A Touch of Dead! I think it was nice to fill in the gaps of the books like how she first met the Queen of Louisiana and Claude and Claudine and such..

I'm wondering if you read the stories when they are supposed to take place during the books how if they would really all flow though..

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 16 comments I read it and I loved it especially how clear Harris makes them in the chronology. You don't just guess.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I read it too. I am glad she did put when in the timeline the stories happen.

message 13: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tessa27) | 12 comments i liked them and they answered a few questions.. short but sweet

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) Short but Sweet... True!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I read the excerpt too. I have other books to read while I am waiting.

message 16: by Lissa1229 (new)

Lissa1229 | 57 comments I read it. It's been awhile, but wasn't hadly killed in the apt? The short story was throwing me off with the cemetery.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) no, she wasn't killed at the apartment. The regression they did was to find out what happened with the were that Hadley Turned. Since she'd been holding (and presumably reading) the stuff on Marie Laveau, that tied in with her going to the cemetary, and, with that Turning it explained why she'd changed her mind about going, since before that she hadn't really been interested in it. I think she'd planned on going and questioning Marie about how the poor guy was going to handle being Turned--or maybe she wanted to know who had been the one to almost drain him dry.

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Apr 04, 2010 03:14PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Leah wrote: "I'm wondering if you read the stories when they are supposed to take place during the books how if they would really all flow though..
..."

I only managed to read one in the order where it was suppose to go, and it was the important one. All of the short stories are fluff and cute, with the exception of "One Word Answer". That's where a lawyer shows up to tell Sookie her long lost cousin was actually a vampire who'd suffered the final death and she was the sole heir to her estate. It explains enough that when she goes to New Orleans in the next book to clean out her cousin's apartment and settle the estate that it all makes sense.

My problem with "Gift Wrap" is that it goes against Sookie's character to have a one-night stand with a stranger. She debated long and hard before finally doing it with Quinn (and even then, only once).

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I think Sookie is just lonely and so she had a one night stand with a fae who pretended to be a were. At least they were happy for a short while.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 51 comments I thought the stories were just ok. I was very glad to read the Hadley story b/c I was super confused back when i read the book when Sookie cleaned out her apt. I liked the Dracula story. (I also love the Dracula episode of Buffy). I had read the One with Preston before in another short story book. I think Sookie would be pissed if she found out the fae sort of tricked her into sleeping with him.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I don't think Niall was trying to trick her. i think he was trying to make Sookie happy. I don't think Sookie thought she was tricked.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 51 comments I agree that he was trying to give her a gift. But it was not a forthcoming gift. Sookie doesn't know that he was really fae, does she? I did think it was strange of her to sleep with him so soon I thought maybe he used a little fairy glamor.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) She knew he wasn't a were.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think it's almost safe to assume he glamoured her at least a little, because it really was out of character for her. I don't think enough glamour was used that you could say she was taken advantage of, just that she got a little stress-relief, which was exactly Niall's intent:)

message 25: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments Niall, not the kind, wise grandfather Sookie deserves and I'd want for her. BTW, she doesn't remember Preston at all so there was some serious fairy magic involved.

Anybody want to give me that kind of gift, I for dang sure heck want to remember it the next day, the next week, the next month, the next decade :-D

message 26: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Cindy, Ill see if the Easter Bunny can bring it to you for Christmas.

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) He does mention to the "real" were that he'd glamoured her to get her to sleep with him at the very end of the story. Which explained to ME why Sookie slept with him.

message 28: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Apr 08, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "He does mention to the "real" were that he'd glamoured her to get her to sleep with him at the very end of the story. Which explained to ME why Sookie slept with him."

He said he used only a little bit to get it started, which told me that Sookie still understood and wanted to do it on her own, he just nudged her over her shyness or something like that. If he'd really had to glamour her completely, then yeah, I would have understood. But he was talking to the were like he was impressed that it didn't take much of his magic to make it happen, or at least that's the impression I got.