Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Days Off/Do Something, Relax, or A Combination of Both?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 19, 2010 05:12AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have today off. I have sworn to God and the librarian that I will not engage in workaholic tendencies (starting...now! I checked work email this morning.) so the day is wide open until 3:15, when I'm picking my kids up from school.

Now, often I'm just fucking exhausted when a day off arrives, so I hang out and watch Sportscenter and then slowly start to clean the house or something. Then I work, because that's what I do, and check GR, of course. I don't usually go anywhere or do much because the "quiet house to myself" scenario is so rare.

I'm feeling ok, today, though, and I'm considering checking out the Dead Sea Scrolls down in Milwaukee. I'd have to cancel lunch with one of my friends, I think, but that would be ok. I don't know. Haven't decided yet.

Which type of person are you on days off? Go out and do something? Stay home and relax? Some combination of both? Different depending on the circumstances? What do you think?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments winter time i feel lethargic on my days off so i get up early and try to talk my wife into going for coffee and newspaper reading at panara bread and then i somehow waste the entire day away doing nothing which i love. in the warmer times i feel like i have to hit the ground running on saturdays. sundays are usually somewhat busy until mid-day with church and then dinner with my family and such. i hardly ever actually plan anything on sunday

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i'm very good at doing nothing and i hate/love myself for it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

If I take a day off of work, it is to do something. I like to stay busy on days off, otherwise it seems like wasted time.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments there is no joy in having nothing to do. real joy comes from having lots to do and not doing it

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ie: sitting on the porch swing with a book looking at the overgrown grass in the front yard and the paint chipped house trim = joy

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Makes perfect sense to me, Kevin.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
Day off, finally, Saturday. I'm fucking sick. Sick and pregnant and fucking sad about my cat. Then I feel lame for feeling sad about my cat, then I feel angry and defensive about it. Then I mourn him, my little grey buddy. Then I start coughing, wheeze, hurt, need water, have to heave my massive self off the uncomfortable couch/chair/bed/whatever and find a beverage.

Since I started teaching I always get sick on the fucking weekends. It's like my body knows I'm sick but just holds onto the most pressing symptoms until I sleep in or something.
Dammit I'm in the worst mood now. And I'm hungry, of course I"m hungry, when am I not. But Sweeter will sleep for another two hours and I'll have to go make my sick, pregnant, sad self something to eat.

Fuck, I'm in a bad mood.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sorry you're sick, Sally.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A lot of our student teachers are sick right now, too, after their first experience full-on with students for five weeks. I've said before, I think, that I often seem to save my illnesses for my days off...it's like my body knows it can release the stress and get sick then. Combine that with the pregnancy and the animal scenario, Sally, and I can imagine you're sick. Take it easy, m'am. Sorry you're in a bad mood.