Writerpedia discussion

on writing > Question from a beginner...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 5 comments Writing my story, I keep wanting to write in third person even though my plot doesn't necessarily call for it. How do you decide the voice you should write from?

message 2: by Toni (new)

Toni | 5 comments I usually try to use the voice that comes naturally to me. Just start writing, and if you find that you think or write in one POV, then use that one. If you want to write in third person but have trouble, then you can pretend that you're watching the events in your head like you watch a movie, and write it like you 'see' it.

Hope that helps. :]

message 3: by Jeana (new)

Jeana (tessamay07) | 4 comments With me I tend to write in third person only because I like to show my readers what all my characters are thinking. When I first started out writing, it began with a simple story that had so many re-edits I wanted to cry. Writing in third person, then first, then back to third. Whatever you find the easiest just keep this one thing in mind: Do not re-write your story until your done! Even if something sounds strange just keep writing. Keep a note pad near by and write to yourself what pages you need to go back and fix. Other than that, do what comes naturally! Hope that helped a little :D

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Whitaker (whitakerbooks) | 54 comments Jeana wrote: "With me I tend to write in third person only because I like to show my readers what all my characters are thinking. When I first started out writing, it began with a simple story that had so many r..."

I agree. Personally, I go one step further - I don't read anything I've written until the book is done. I wouldn't suggest that it is the best technique, but it is the one that works best for me.

I have only once written a novel in the first person (my first) I thought it would lend a sense of urgency. However, a number of readers seemed to find it difficult - the problem being there was a large amount of dialogue and they felt it read more like a script than a novel. I rewrote it in third person.

message 5: by Jeana (new)

Jeana (tessamay07) | 4 comments Pat wrote: I have only once written a novel in the first person (my first) I thought it would lend a sense of urgency. However, a number of readers seemed to find it difficult - the problem being there was a large amount of dialogue....

Now this I agree on, first person does tend to have too much dialogue, although some authors can pull it off in the most powerful way. Third person is a good choice!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 5 comments Toni, after you do your outline do you start at chapter and one and continue? Or do you write parts that are most vivid first?

message 7: by Toni (new)

Toni | 5 comments I tend to do a little of both. I usually start from Chapter one and then write, but a lot of the time I day/dream about different parts later in the book and i'll write those down too as they come along. I've got two notebooks full of random book parts.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Whitaker (whitakerbooks) | 54 comments In my case, I start with an idea, not for a story as such, but what it is about (I write science fiction). No outline, no plot notes, no character bios, nothing. I just start writing and keep going until it's finished (not even reading as I go, as I mentioned before).

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 5 comments Thanks that helps alot.

message 10: by Marlena (new)

Marlena (lostinlalaland) | 12 comments I am new also, but I have been writing for several years now (not professionally, just because I love to write) but I have acquired a few helpful tips along my dream to become a successful novelist. I also write my stories in the third person, so I understand what you are going through. But I read that you should write in whatever point of view is more comfortable to you. You are the writer, so you must decide how you want to write. Even if you have problems or struggles, just keep working hard, and you will eventually have a beautiful story that you can be proud of! <3