Browncoats discussion

Following Firefly... > Can't stop the Serenity

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lioness (new)

Lioness | 6 comments "After Firefly" sounds so sad that I thought that this might be the right place to post something that shows that Firefly and Serenity (or Serenifly as a certain Joss Whedon called it once) is still alive and well.

Does everyone know that every year cities around the world show Serenity to raise money for Joss's favourite charity, Equality Now? Over $100,000.00 was raised last year alone and this is our 5th Anniversary!

message 2: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 216 comments Mod
I would love to see Serenity on the big screen sometime! I just don't live close to one of those "cities around the world" where it is shown, so it's never easy.

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Same here! Would love to see Serenity on the big screen with a proper sound system.

I'd love to do something like that in my city. but we live practically in the middle of nowhere and there's not that many Firefly/Serenity fans (that I know of) here.

message 4: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments I think it would be great if they made a Serenity 2 but sadly I don't think they will....

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 76 comments I kinda hope they don't make a second one cuz, you know Wash dies and all :( :( :(...maybe something of a prequel?? I want Wash in there! Soemthing like the episode of Out of Gas, but with more explanations.

Like how the heck Zoe and Wash end up together :)

message 6: by Lioness (new)

Lioness | 6 comments Last year there were affiliate cities that didn't have a full big screening but had some sort of fundraiser. I recently saw someone write to the freecycle group I am on, and their email address was beaglesmuggler @...,so I wrote to therm and told them about the screening we are having in out city. Browncoats are everywhere!

message 7: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments It would be nice if they could make a pre-quel of sorts that'll explain what the heck is up with Book. And yeah, I'd want Wash in too. Alan Tudyk is aces!

message 8: by Lioness (new)

Lioness | 6 comments There is a much promised Book comic that is coming out. They say now it is supposed to come out Fall 2010 but we've been promised it for a couple of years now!

message 9: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments I hope it doesn't end up like the anticipated Duke game that's been "coming soon" for over a decade now....

message 10: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments Patton Oswalt is also doing a comic set after "Serenity" but a look back at Wash by three of his pilot friends. I think he's finished writing it now.

The Book comic is going to come out in graphic novel form instead of individual comics.

message 11: by Luann (new)

Very cool, C.G.! Do you know what it's going to be called or when it will be published?

message 12: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments Book's graphic novel is called "A Shepherd's Tale", written by Joss's brother Zack and due out in November.

The Wash comic is called "Float Out" and should be released in June of this year.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe this year's charity screening will give you an excuse to visit a city that's having one. Last year we had several people come all the way from Edmonton to Vancouver for ours. They made a holiday of it.

message 14: by Luann (new)

C.G. wrote: "Book's graphic novel is called "A Shepherd's Tale", written by Joss's brother Zack and due out in November.

The Wash comic is called "Float Out" and should be released in June of this year."

Yes, I'd heard about the upcoming graphic novel for Book, but not the one for Wash. Thanks for the information, C.G.!

message 15: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments You're welcome, Luann. I never get tired of talking about Firefly or Serenity. ;)

message 16: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments So, I'm having a small get together tomorrow, to watch Firefly with some fellow Browncoats from Twitter (as well as introduce new people to Firefly after I talked about it during a Twestival) I'm not expecting that many people. but who knows. Based on tomorrow's turnout, and how that goes, I may hold a full fledged "Can't Stop the Serenity" charity event next year. (once I figure out how it all works out and maybe get someone to assist me with organizing it, I'm already doing too much!)

Ultimately, what I wanna do one day, is get a few people together and have a Firefly marathon followed by watching Serenity; but I'm not sure how many people would go for a 16+ hour stretch... I don't have a problem with that (did it a few times with other shows, that's how I got through Angel and Buffy actually. LOL)

message 17: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments It's always good to introduce new people to the Serenifly 'verse. :)

If you don't know anyone who can help you locally with an event, you can start with an affiliate event, which is similar to what you're doing here, only more official - and actually raising money. Check out the forums at http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com for more information. Many of us long-time organisers are up for mentoring first-timers. (I've done it myself a couple of times and am certainly willing to do it again.)

message 18: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Oh, I'd love for someone to show me the ropes (so to speak)

Main reason I'm having the small one first, is to see the reaction and how it's accepted. No sense in holding a huge one if no one would show up.

I've been to the site, tried to register on the forums back in March, but it wouldn't let me, send an email to the admins, not heard back. (at least I haven't seen anything in my mailbox....)

Another reason, is I am not sure of the 'laws' here as far as showing things to big crowds are. Plus, all movies go through ministry to ensure they fall within the ethical, moral, religious grounds in UAE. I've asked on Twitter whether people remember if Serenity was ever shown on the big screen here. If it has, then it should not be a problem. (hopefully anyway, red tape can be a huge PITA, pretty sure we all know that. :) )

I'm a bit concerned given the location (we're in the Middle East) , not too sure how a CSTS even would be taken here; but I'd love to give it a go.

message 19: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments Good luck with your first foray. Try registering again - they were doing some changes to the board in March and maybe your request got lost.

message 20: by Lioness (new)

Lioness | 6 comments You definitely can't show anything like Firefly to the public- that's illegal. Universal gives us the rights to show Serenity but we have to pay for the license.

As far as registering - CSTS underwent a webmaster change and you could have tried during a period when there was no one there to approve you.

And if anyone is reading this and you live in Southern Ontario or Erie County, NY, check out what we are doing in Toronto for our Can't Stop The Serenity event.http://torontoserenity.blogspot.com

message 21: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Technically it's illegal as per US laws, but not the local UAE laws, and if I'm holding the event in UAE, local laws apply. (at least that's my understanding so far given with all the folks I've spoken to locally to date) But it's a gray area over here, which is frustrating. Any time i try finding out the details, I hit a dead end purely because no one ever had one of those events here before so I get varying responses. (i.e. it's not illegal if i don't charge for it; it's not illegal if less than 20 people attend; etc) Either way I cannot screen at any of the cinemas as those are only for major films (and the World Cup thingy now...) even if I could, it'd likely cost a small fortune over here.

I wouldn't want to get in trouble for doing something that's illegal, that's why I am not going ahead with anything beyond little get togethers with friends at home to watch a few episodes of Firefly and chat about the show.

UAE laws are quite young that so far the radio stations don't even have to pay royalties to music companies and artists to play songs on the air. (aside one, which has permission and rights to sell music as remixes and "Channel 4/Coast picks" albums)

but, I'd still like to give this a go. even if i have to jump through legal hoops to make everything legal and conform to any and all agreements with all the right people and companies.