Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments I wonder if Bubba (who I think is funny) will be introduced in the True Blood series ... it took me a while to figure out who he was although I suspected a little bit.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Antal (brittanylovesvampires) | 1 comments haha same here...i couldnt figure it out i was like wth.....i hope so though

message 3: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Bubba is the man. Always lookin out for Miss Sookie. He is one of my favorties, but he will never be in TrueBlood. The Presley estate would sue the hell out of them for portraying Elvis as a dopey, brain dead vampire. Never gonna happen.

Danielle Girard | 11 comments I'm with you Cary.. i don't think it will happen! But maybe they will introduce someone that will protect her!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) As long as he is a looker and a kind heart. I am all for that. :)

message 6: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Bubba and Sookie did do some daring things together. Like their joint recon of the witches hideout in Dead To The World, aka The Witch War. He will be missed. TrueBlood is a great show. You just can't expect it to be just like the books. :)

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments I don't think I'd rule him out, in the books all they do is elude to him with you drawing your own conclusions. There have been many shows with Elvis impersonators. We'll have to just wait and see :)

message 8: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments I don't think EP's family would want him to be depicted as a developmentally disabled vampire and I think they'd sue if he was depicted that way. Not gonna happen. Maybe they can come up with some other kind of Bubba?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it would be cool to have Bubba in the series... I hope they do bring him in.

message 10: by Kenna (last edited Feb 23, 2010 06:18PM) (new)

Kenna (kennas) AB said that he was not going to bring in Bubba. I as well would dearly love to see Bubba if even in a cameo on true Blood.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/jul/26/...

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments Thanks Sophie that was a great artcle. I've seen 2 pics so far of the guy who plays Eric out of character, I prefer him more IN character. He looks way sexier.

message 12: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Yup interesting article Sophie. TrueBlood is creature crowded already, and when they add the weres then it will slow down the progress of the vampire story line. I don't agree that the characters are stereo typed. Lafayette is pretty on target as an AC/DC bad ass drag queen. I don't find the episodes hit, and miss. The show has no comercials and flys by. The only problem is that TrueBlood is just shown during summer. They have enough material to put in at least a half year of weekly episodes. The woman that wrote that article admits she never read the books. So she would not have that good of an understanding about the show. Comparing Twilight to Sookie Stackhouse is just not even in the same league. I loved it when Ball said we have real vampires. Tee hee.

message 13: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments Something cute ...

My husband came home and I usually greet him at the door with a hug and a smooch. I know he's home cause I can hear the alarm on the car go on.

He has a nick name for me SNOOKIE! He comes in gives me a hug, and bent my neck to the side and let out a big SNOOKIE and kissed me on the neck! Using the Eric voice. Well his name happens to be Eric! LOL

Are we fans or what!! LOL Thought I'd share. :)

message 14: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Im not Sophie, but youre welcome :'P

Lena...My Darling Husband is a fan of the show too and I get in trouble if I watch it without him. He bought me season 1 as an anniversary present and we watched the entire thing during the week (after the boys went to bed)Its fun when you have someone to watch it with and debate and share your thoughts and speculations with.

message 15: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments That is so great Kenna, I love to hear stories like this, so sweet!

My husband is in the military and sometimes he has to drive long distances, so I bought him the Charlaine Harris audio books, he loves it! I'm ahead of him on the books, but he's enjoying this very much too!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) One of my guy friends got me into Trueblood :)

message 17: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) TrueBlood has something for everyone. Just the shows opening trailer, and soud track are smoking hot.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I had the theme song in my head for like three days the first time I watched it. The opening trailer has very little to do with the sow though.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm waiting for season 2 to come out on DVD... I can't get it with the channels that I get at the moment... :(

message 20: by Starling (new)

Starling I think the opening trailer has a lot to do with how the producers see the Southern culture they are placing the show in. Not necessarily real Southern culture, but the place that is in their own minds when they work on the stories.

Really hate the opening, by the way and try very hard to fast forward through them.

message 21: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Starling...youre a woman after my heart...or vise versa since you were here first. :'P

message 22: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments Same here, the opening spooks me out, but I like the song so I don't look at the screen!

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I too skip the opening. That's why I never watch the show "live". I don't want to have to sit through that horror mishmash.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) yeah, I do like the song do so I will sit through the credits.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (oncethrown) | 8 comments Starling wrote: "I think the opening trailer has a lot to do with how the producers see the Southern culture they are placing the show in. Not necessarily real Southern culture, but the place that is in their own m..."

To me, it seems like the message behind the trailer is that Louisianna is the armpit of existance. Which seems unfair.

message 26: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Hannah, I think youre right. I lived in South central Georgia when I was a girl and that is exactly the way they lived away from the bigger cities. my aunt and uncle live in Southern La and they are worse than what the show depicts. My husbands aunt and uncle are from west central Mo and that is exactly the way that they live. Smaller towns in the Bible belt are thick with churches and bars. Small towns everywhere are like back woods people. I love the sequence because its an accurate description from when I was a kid. the southern baptist churches, the watermellon/strawberries on the front lawn, swimming in the local non alligator/snake infested creeks, it was all fond memories for me. I dont like the opening sequences because of the rotting animal and the nudity.

(yes I know that there is nudity in the show and thats ok. Nudity shouldnt be in the opening credits of any show so that parents have time to get to the TV and turn it off when they hear the theme song.)

message 27: by Starling (new)

Starling Kenna, I totally agree with you about nudity in opening credits. I think the whole deep voiced warnings on the Fox shows that have scary stuff or violence are part of the same thing. You hear that voice, you keep the kids away.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ily32001 wrote: "who is bubba i still dont know who he was plz help ?!?!?!?!?!"

In the books, Bubba was Elvis Presley. Supposedly when he was taken into the morgue on the night of his death a vamp worker there was such a fan that he "changed" him even though he had been dead long enough that he "rose again" with less than his full mental faculties. Harris is very careful to never actually say who Bubba is, but enough inferences and inuendo are there that there is little doubt.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I am surprised they didn't get on Charlaine Harris's tail about that.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Jayme wrote: "I am surprised they didn't get on Charlaine Harris's tail about that."

But, why? She really doesn't mention his name, and even if she did, Elvis such an iconic figure he has lost his "personalness" if that makes sense. Portrayals and caraciatures pop up every where and it's really more a matter of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

message 31: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments Yep, I'm with you Kandice - they don't have to so much as mention his name or could show the back of head even and you'd get the idea.

message 32: by Starling (new)

Starling When she first put Bubba into the books, it was a low budget paperback sort of mystery series. Why would they even take notice?

Now that she writes NY Times Best Sellers and has a TV show spin off, they would only go after them if the TV show did something stupid with the character. They chose not to take the chance. Frankly he is a minor character and it would be very hard to deal with the character without everyone knowing who it was supposed to be.

message 33: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments "Presley Enterprises has an equally humorless fleet of attorneys charged with tracking down and suing any unlicensed party who might be profiting from Presley's **name, likeness or image**. Essentially, if someone is benefiting financially from Elvis and that someone is not the King himself or his heirs, a litigated tussle with Presley Enterprises could be in his future -- unless, of course, he's entered into a licensing agreement with corporation."
Ms. Harris never used his name, likeness or *image* but TB would have to and I'm pretty sure the family wouldn't ever agree to a portrayal of Elvis as "Bubba" even if TB wanted to pay a hefty licensing fee.

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace-mahoney) | 1 comments Cary wrote: " Bubba is the man. Always lookin out for Miss Sookie. He is one of my favorties, but he will never be in TrueBlood. The Presley estate would sue the hell out of them for portraying Elvis as a dopey..."It's a shame because he is, I think, the most human of the vampires. I love his absence of ego. I enjoy all the characters, but Bubba is a special kind of vampire, different but equal and apart from the taste for cat's blood (cat lovers can be tetchy about things like that) I think the character is a real credit to the human he allegedly resembles.

message 35: by Figment (new)

Figment I agree, Bubba is the man. I have loved him through the books, but I doubt they will add him to the show...if they were they probably would have already done it. Also they would have to get the Presley estate to agree to it. I was hoping all last session of True Blood they would introduce him though.

message 36: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Bubba is truely DA MAN. Sigh, you have to LOVE a story with Elvis as a vamp, right? lol, did anyone else see Bruce Campbell as Elvis in Bubba-ho-tep? That was one seriously BAD movie, but I loved it anyway. (Bruce plays Elvis at 70--that wasn't really Elvis that died--it was an impersonator that he'd "traded places" with so that he could get out and have a life again.)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I like Bruce Campbell

message 38: by Lena (new)

Lena (chlngher) | 35 comments It would be sorta fun to introduce more characters that are well known like Bubba's character.

message 39: by Jade (new)

Jade Villafane (mistressofhorror) | 8 comments I love bubba! Im just glad the Bob was turned back before Bubba showed up again. lol

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) hahahaha, poor Bob, but I think I preferred him as a cat.

message 41: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) I had a crush on him in the 90's. Bruce, not Bubba.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) hahahaha I liked Bruce too.

message 43: by Na'kia (new)

Na'kia leftridge | 6 comments I hope they introduce Bubba into the series ass well. Love Him

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W. | 26 comments Bubba is one of my favorite characters. He always is doing something hilarious :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Lena wrote: "I wonder if Bubba (who I think is funny) will be introduced in the True Blood series ... it took me a while to figure out who he was although I suspected a little bit."

I got it right away but of course I m a big Elvis fan. I just love it and think its funny too. Has he been introduced in Tru Blood? I got disgusted with the way they went off the rails.

message 46: by Leece (new)

Leece In the film Disney Pixar Cars - there is a computer animated camper van that looks like elvis and says Elvis down the side.

The Elvis Presley Cooperation are listed in the credits !

No way will a brain damaged - animal blood sucking - vampire - elvis appear on TV and get approval !

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Leece, you are right! I never thought of it that way.

message 48: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle (nicolleg1992) | 4 comments Haha I love budder in the novels and how they made him one of the most famous guys in the world lol I love how he is gental but brutal and most of the times a tad dipsy lol

message 49: by Adria (new)

Adria | 80 comments I hope they do put Bubba is the series. He's awesome, and cracks me up. He adds some light-heartedness to the books.

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Haynes | 1 comments I think that if BubbaHoTep was acceptable, they should be able to handle Bubba the vampire. Especially since he's one of the only characters with completely pure intentions. [besides that whole "eating cats" thing.] He's one of the best characters in the series!

« previous 1